Red Sox

Pedroia not ready to return until around Sept. 10

gallery_slide_3_dustin_pedroia_062215_0.jpg

Pedroia not ready to return until around Sept. 10

BOSTON - Thursday was a big day for Dustin Pedroia. Unfortunately he didn't get the news he was hoping for.

Pedroia, sidelined by a nagging hamstring injury, will remain on the sidelines until at least the second week in September, maybe longer.

"He had some imagining done and the imaging is saying that he needs to continue strengthening for another ten days which will get him right around to the end of the month where he'll begin running activity and ramp up for 10-14 days," Lovullo said. "And sometime around the 10th of September we're looking for his return. Inside of that first set of strengthening we'll also include hitting, some really light ground balls, nothing too strenuous. All along the lines of continuing to strengthen that area behind his knee and get him ready for some running activity to ramp him up for that day in September."

Pedroia was not aware of what the imagining revealed as of about 3:30 pm, but was told before Lovullo spoke with the media at 4:30.

Knowing Pedroia, he wasn't happy with the result.

"It's one of those things where we are a little disappointed but we understand when you're an injured player like that it takes time to recuperate," Lovullo said. "You can't force a player to get in there too quickly. Here's one of our best players, our leaders and we miss him for a while. But it's given other players a chance to play and perform. We need Dustin, we want Dustin and we know he's going to be back as soon as possible."

By the time Pedroia returns, there will be no minor league games to rehab in. That could complicate matters a bit, but Lovullo said they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

How two missing setup men have created a cascade of woe for Red Sox

darwinzon_hernandez_josh_taylor.jpg
USA TODAY Sports photos

How two missing setup men have created a cascade of woe for Red Sox

For two rookies who weren't on anyone's radar until about this time last year, Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor have turned out to be massive losses for the Red Sox.

The two young power left-handers stabilized the bullpen over the final two months of 2019, with Hernandez striking out batters at a record rate and Taylor emerging as an every-other-day workhorse.

Hernandez struck out a staggering 57 in just 30.1 innings (16.9 K/9), with a 4.45 ERA. In 23 appearances from July 16 through Sept. 6, he posted a 2.31 ERA. Taylor, meanwhile, was even more consistent. He delivered a 3.04 ERA in 57 appearances, and from July 2 through the finale, allowed only eight runs in 40 innings.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

Both feature 95-mph fastballs and both figured to play expanded roles in this truncated season, but when spring training 2.0 began in July, both were missing because of failed COVID tests. Taylor quarantined in his hotel near Fenway Park while battling fatigue. Hernandez remained in his native Venezuela for the first three weeks of July.

They're both now in Pawtucket, facing hitters for the first time in months. Each threw live BP over the weekend, and Taylor could be activated this week, manager Ron Roenicke said on Friday in New York.

The trickle-down effect has been significant. Roenicke has had little answer for innings two through five, relying on lesser arms like Austin Brice, Zack Godley, Matt Hall, and Jeffrey Springs either to serve as openers or bridge the gap to more established relievers like Marcus Walden, Heath Hembree, Matt Barnes, and closer Brandon Workman.

As a result, on the days Nathan Eovaldi doesn't start, the Red Sox have finished the fifth inning trailing by an average score of 5-2.

A healthy Hernandez and Taylor could alter that dynamic in two ways. First, one of them could start and contribute as an opener. Roenicke said the Red Sox are stretching out Hernandez to throw two or three innings, which would make him a more dynamic candidate for the role than some of the flotsam the Red Sox have been forced to feature in his absence.

But even if both remained relievers, they'd either be available to throw in the early innings instead of Springs (33.75 ERA) or Hall (15.43 ERA), or they could bump someone like Walden or Hembree down there. Ten games into the season, too many games have already been lost before Roenicke could even warm his better relievers.

With the lack of legitimate starting pitchers forcing Roenicke to finesse his way through four out of every five games, the Red Sox can ill afford to enter battle without their full complement of weapons. Who knew that two guys we had barely heard of early last season would end up being such pivotal missing pieces?

Yankees' Aaron Judge set an MLB record during huge series vs. Red Sox

aaron_judge.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Yankees' Aaron Judge set an MLB record during huge series vs. Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox just got swept by their nemesis, but hey, at least they were part of history.

The Red Sox fell 9-7 to the Yankees on Sunday night after New York slugger Aaron Judge belted a go-ahead, two run home run off Matt Barnes in the eighth inning.

The blast actually was Judge's second of the game and fourth in the three-game Red Sox-Yankees series alone. What's even more impressive (unless you're a Sox fan) is that all four of Judge's homers vs. Boston gave New York the lead.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

Judge also hit a go-ahead long ball against the Baltimore Orioles last Thursday, which means his second dinger Sunday set a Major League Baseball record.

Oh, and Judge also has an MLB-leading six home runs in eight games, tied with Alex Rodriguez for the most in Yankees franchise history through the first eight contests of the season.

Judge has done most of his damage this season against the Red Sox' inept pitching staff, using Ryan Weber, Zack Godley, Matt Hall and Barnes as launching pads during his historic start.

If Sox fans want a silver lining, at least Boston actually had a couple leads before Judge intervened. That's been a rare occurrence during the Red Sox' 3-7 start, which has them in the American League basement with one sixth of their season gone by.