Red Sox

Planner behind Fenway 'Racism is American' banner explains anti-racist statement

Planner behind Fenway 'Racism is American' banner explains anti-racist statement

UPDATE, 1 a.m., Sept. 14: The protest group member who spoke to CSNNE said Antifa Boston's claim of responsibility for hanging the banner at Fenway Park is "ridiculous."

"The five of us are in no way associated with Antifa nor did Antifa Boston have anything to do with the action," the group member wrote via text.

As proof, they provided an image of the banner when it was being unfurled ahead of the demonstration, as a test.

BOSTON — The group of five people who brought a banner into Fenway Park that read “Racism is as American as Baseball” were white anti-racist protestors, one of the group’s members told CSNNE on Wednesday night.

A group member agreed to explain how the night unfolded to CSNNE only on the condition of anonymity, because they did not want to detract from the importance they see in the banner’s message. 

Two people documented the night — one from afar and one from up close — while three people held the banner. The banner was unfurled in the middle of the fourth inning before stadium security quickly intervened.

“There were originally about eight people involved who had this idea, and those eight people come from various organizing groups in the Boston area,” the group member said by phone. “Mostly groups that affiliate with racial justice causes. And the banner came in response to the racist comments at the beginning of the season at Fenway [that Adam Jones spoke of]. 

“But overall, we saw, we see Boston continually priding itself as a kind of liberal, not racist city, and are reminded also constantly that it’s actually an extremely segregated city. It has been for a long time, and that no white people can avoid the history of racism, essentially. So we did this banner as a gesture towards that, to have a conversation about that.”

The Black Lives Matter movement was one of the group’s inspirations.

The banner's intended message didn't make it across to everyone clearly, however. On social media, some people thought the banner was promoting racism. Others simply noted ambiguity.

The group was somewhat surprised by the confusion.

"I guess we should have seen that coming, but we also didn’t think of it as an ambiguous message," the group member said. "It’s kind of telling that it is being interpreted as one."

The group expected to be ejected from Fenway Park. The group member said they had been in touch with IfNotNowWhen, a group that unfurled a banner with political messaging about the Middle East at Fenway in June.

A U.S. military veteran was honored as the banner was unfurled, but the group member said that timing was coincidental.

In a statement explaining Wednesday's ejection of four people from the park, the Red Sox said the banner was “in violation of the club’s policy prohibiting signs of any kind to be hung or affixed to the ballpark.”

The ejection of four people rather than five was because of the fifth group member’s distance inside the stadium. The fifth left on their own volition.

Fenway security personnel handled the matter professionally, looked at the group’s IDs and then released them, the group member said. One person walked up to the group as IDs were being checked and demanded the group be arrested.

“People booed us as we walked out, asking us to find something better to do,” they said.

A statement on behalf of the group was later emailed to CSNNE by the group member.

“We want to remind everyone that just as baseball is fundamental to American culture and history, so too is racism,” the group said in a written statement. “White people need to wake up to this reality before white supremacy can truly be dismantled. We urge anyone who is interested in learning more or taking action to contact their local racial justice organization.”

MLB Rumors: These six teams pursued Martin Perez before Red Sox landed him

MLB Rumors: These six teams pursued Martin Perez before Red Sox landed him

Martin Perez is no Gerrit Cole or Stephen Strasburg. But the veteran left-hander reportedly drew a good amount of interest in free agency before the Boston Red Sox scooped him up.

A "handful" of MLB teams, including the American League East foe Tampa Bay Rays and Toronto Blue Jays, pursued Perez before the Red Sox agreed to terms with him Thursday night, MassLive's Chris Cotillo reported.

Perez's surface-level stats aren't very inspiring: The 28-year-old posted a 5.12 ERA with the Minnesota Twins last season after the worst campaign of his career with the Texas Rangers in 2018 (6.22 ERA, 1.78 WHIP).

But what Perez does provide is durability: He's appeared in at least 32 games in three of the last four seasons, topping 165 innings in each of those campaigns.

Durable left-handers aren't a dime a dozen in MLB, which explains why Perez drew interest from several clubs looking to fill out their rotations entering 2020.

The Venezuela native should be a rotation-filler in Boston, projecting as Boston's fifth starter behind Chris Sale, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez and Nathan Eovaldi with Rick Porcello leaving to join the New York Mets in free agency.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Collaboration emerges as key to Chaim Bloom's leadership style with Red Sox

Collaboration emerges as key to Chaim Bloom's leadership style with Red Sox

If there's a theme that's emerging in Chaim Bloom's first two months as Red Sox Chief Baseball Officer, it's collaboration. 

It was stressed by Sox owner John Henry said at Bloom's introductory press conference and, after a series of minor moves at the winter meetings this week, Bloom, the former Tampa Bay Rays executive, has continued to talk about how he'll integrate the advice of as many members of the Red Sox organization as he can in his decision-making,

"It's super important to me. The reason we were able to have the success [at Tampa Bay] that we did was the people and how we all worked together," Bloom told ESPN's Joon Lee. "I hope that an appreciation has something to do with how I was raised both by my parents and then also how I was raised in this game with the people I was around. The value of that was something that was shown to me by a lot of the mentors around this game.

"You just see how much more you can accomplish when people work together when they feel valued, when everyone recognizes that no one person has a monopoly on the truth and nobody has all the answers. We are only going to achieve our full potential if we're willing to work together and willing to be vulnerable and acknowledge that we can all learn from each other."

That approach is a sharp contrast to Bloom's Red Sox predecessor, Dave Dombrowski, who was said to rely mainly on veteran baseball men Tony La Russa and Frank Wren, who, like Dombrowski are no longer with the organization.

"[Bloom] is basically the direct opposite of Dombrowski," one rival front-office executive told ESPN's Lee. 

Henry seemed to be referring to Dombrowski, with his "one-man show" comment when Bloom was introduced to the Boston media.

"I would just say we were extremely desirous of bringing in someone who would augment and add as opposed to just bringing in someone who might have been an autocrat, for instance, a one-man show," Henry said at the time.  

So, with big decisions on Mookie Betts and David Price still to come this offseason, and smaller moves in the books, such as parting ways with Rick Porcello, who signed with the Mets, and adding utility man Jose Peraza as a likely replacement for Brock Holt, Bloom will not be going it alone. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.