BOSTON - Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox' 6-5 win over Tampa Bay:
"It's one of those things where they more you do it, the more you get comfortable with it. It's trying to not really make the situation more than it is. If you get caught up in the moment, you get into your head. You try to go out there and focus on the game plan you have and know that your stuff, if executed, is going to get the job done.'' - Matt Barnes, on being used more in high-leverage situations.
"Just trying to stay really short (to the ball). In my history, I can be a little over-aggressive at times. We've been trying to keep it simple and seeing some good results.'' - Bryce Brentz.
"The last day has been kind of a whirlwind, so to get the win and be able to contribute, makes it a special day.'' - Newcomer Aaron Hill, who had two RBI in the win.
* The Red Sox stole a season-high four bases.
* David Ortiz has 40 extra-base hits in 45 home games.
* Ortiz tied a club record with his 56th extra-base hit before the All-Star break. He also 56 in 2004.
* Bryce Brentz has knocked in seven runs in nine games this season.
* Hanley Ramirez has walked nine times in the last eight games and has reached base safely in 16 of his 26 plate appearances on the current homestand.
* Robbie Ross Jr. earned his first win as a member of the Red Sox.
* Mookie Betts became the first Red Sox player since Carl Yastrzesmki (1970) to reach 15 homers and 15 stolen bases before the All-Star break.
* The Sox improved to 10-9 in one-run games.
1) Aaron Hill
The veteran infielder made his Red Sox debut one to remember with two run-scoring singles, including the second which accounted for the margin of victory.
2) Bryce Brentz
Filling in for Brock Holt after Holt left the game with a sprained ankle, Brentz had two hits, a run scored and RBI.
3) Matt Barnes
With the bullpen shorthanded, Barnes pitched a scoreless eighth inning, recording three strikeouts along the way.