Bruins

Zdeno Chara reaches out to Brendan Gallagher after nasty cross-check

Zdeno Chara reaches out to Brendan Gallagher after nasty cross-check

Bruins captain Zdeno Chara has long been considered one of the NHL’s premier class acts and he proved it again this week by reaching out to an opposing player after a heated incident.

Montreal center Brendan Gallagher told reporters on Tuesday that the 42-year-old Bruins captain reached out to him, and apologized for a vicious cross-check to the Montreal center’ neck in a game against the Habs last week.

Perhaps making it a little more vital that he express his apologies, Chara mocked the Habs forward for snapping his head back and embellishing immediately after the fracas. 

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

The pesky Gallagher further told reporters that he appreciated the gesture from the surefire Hall of Fame defenseman.

Chara was fined $5,000 for the violent cross-check that somehow netted both combatants matching penalties in the Bruins' win over the Canadiens at TD Garden.

Gallagher wasn’t injured during the sequence, and it was caused more by the disparity in height between the two players than it was about injurious intent behind the Bruins defenseman’s actions.

Still, Chara has a long history of showing compassion for players who have been injured after run-ins with the 6-foot-9 defenseman, including a palpable show of guilt when one of Chara’s blistering slapshots snapped then-Rangers captain Ryan Callahan’s leg during the 2010-11 NHL season.

The incident even caused Chara to take fewer of his trademark 100-mph slapshots for a stretch following the injury.

The contact between Chara and Gallagher also further illustrated the thaw between Chara and Canadiens fans who once routinely booed the Bruins captain each time he touched the puck at the Bell Centre. Much of the hate centered on Chara’s collision with Max Pacioretty into one of the Bell Centre stanchions that seriously injured the Montreal forward during the 2010-11 season, and bizarrely spurred Canadiens fans to report Chara’s actions to the police.

That was all clearly water under the bridge when Canadiens fans gave Chara a warm, long ovation at the Bell Centre earlier this season when he was playing in his 1,500th NHL game, a significant milestone for the future Hall of Fame defenseman.

Milan Lucic joined Instagram, and Bruins' fans will love his first post

Milan Lucic joined Instagram, and Bruins' fans will love his first post

Former Bruins forward Milan Lucic officially joined Instagram on Thursday, and Boston fans will absolutely love his first post. 

Although Lucic now plays for the Calgary Flames, he couldn't pass up the opportunity to reminisce on the B's 2011 Stanley Cup championship.

View this post on Instagram

First post. Let’s have some fun

A post shared by Milan Lucic (@milan.lucic.17) on

Lucic posing with the Stanley Cup is a huge flex, but the big guy definitely did his part during the 2011 playoff run. The Vancouver native tallied 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 25 playoff games playing alongside David Krejci and Nathan Horton, including two goals and an assist in the series against the Canucks.

During his day with the Stanley Cup, Lucic returned to Vancouver for a celebration with family and friends, so we can imagine his first Instagram post is from that day. 

Hopefully he plans on sharing some more photos from 2011 because that championship run was electric. 

 

 

Brian Burke reveals what Ducks would've given Bruins for Joe Thornton in 2005

Brian Burke reveals what Ducks would've given Bruins for Joe Thornton in 2005

It appears the Boston Bruins could've received a lot more for Joe Thornton when they dealt him to the San Jose Sharks in 2005, at least according to Brian Burke. 

During a Twitter Q&A session on Thursday Burke, general manager of the Anaheim Ducks at the time Thornton was traded, revealed he was rather frustrated he couldn't pry the future Hall of Famer from Mike O'Connell's clutches. 

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

As for what he would've given up for Thornton -- this one may frustrate B's fans. 

O'Connell ended up dealing Thornton to the Sharks for Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart. The move cleared cap space for the Bruins to later sign Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard, among others, but could what they have received from Anaheim been better?

If the Bruins ended up receiving Anaheim's 2006 first-round draft pick (19th overall), they could've drafted anyone from Claude Giroux who went 22nd overall to the Philadelphia Flyers to Nick Foligno who was drafted 28th overall by the Ottawa Senators. Now, if the first-round pick Burke was willing to give up was indeed a 2006 pick, then the Bruins who drafted Phil Kessel fifth overall that year could've potentially added two stars for the price of one. 

Thinking about that situation alone should make Bruins' fans cringe, but there's more.

Burke noted he would've given up the player who O'Connell ranked as sixth-best on the Ducks roster as well as a prospect. Looking back at that now, the sixth player could've been anyone from Francois Beauchemin to Joffrey Lupul and a prospect could've been the likes of Ryan Getzlaf or Corey Perry, according to WEEI's Matt Kalman. 

The sixth-best player makes you shake your head because Beauchemin and/or Lupul weren't the greatest, but the first-round pick and possibility of adding Getzlaf or Perry would've been huge for the Bruins. 

If this deal was done in 2020, you'd have to wonder if Don Sweeney would've accepted Burke's offer.