In the midst of domestic violence allegations, Celtics guard Jabari Bird said on Thursday he is stepping away from the team.
Bird was held on $50,000 bail on charges he assaulted his girlfriend on Friday. He is facing charges of strangulation, assault and battery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and kidnapping, and according to prosecutors, strangled her several times and she lost consciousness at several points.
According to Athletic writer Shams Charania, Bird will step away to deal with legal issues.
“I do not condone violence against women," said Bird. "I am hopeful that in due time and process, I will be able to regain everyone’s trust.”
Boston’s Jabari Bird says in statement he is stepping away from the Celtics indefinitely as he deals with his legal and medical issues.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) September 13, 2018
He adds: “I do not condone violence against women. I am hopeful that in due time and process, I will be able to regain everyone’s trust.”
The Celtics released a statement earlier on Thursday:
Most importantly, our thoughts are with the victim of this incident. The Celtics organization deplores domestic violence of any kind, and we are deeply disturbed by the allegations against Jabari Bird. Pursuant to Domestic Violence Policy in the NBA’s labor agreement, matters of this kind are handled by the League Office, not the team, and so the Celtics will be working with both the league and local authorities to assist in their ongoing investigations. The team will have no further comment at this time.