Celtics

Celtics guard Jabari Bird arrested in alleged domestic violence incident

jabari_bird.jpg
USA Today

Celtics guard Jabari Bird arrested in alleged domestic violence incident

BOSTON – Jabari Bird remains under guarded watch by Boston police at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Brighton, Mass, following an incident in which the Celtics guard was arrested for allegedly assaulting another individual.

Bird, who will likely undergo a psychiatric evaluation before being released from the hospital to be booked, will face charges of assault and battery, strangulation and kidnapping.

What police are calling a domestic violence incident occurred Friday night in Brighton. The victim, who has not been identified, was taken to a separate hospital for treatment of injuries from the incident.

Bird won’t be officially booked until after he is released from the hospital.

The Celtics released the following statement early Saturday morning:

“We are aware of the incident involving Jabari Bird and are taking it very seriously. We are actively gathering information and will reserve further comment at this time.”

Bird, 24, selected by Boston with the 56th overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft from Cal-Berkeley, was signed to a two-way contract as a rookie.

A 6-foot-6, 197-pound shooting guard, Bird split time between the Celtics (13 games) and their Gatorade League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws, last season.

After a strong showing on Boston’s summer league team in Las Vegas, the team rewarded him with a two-year, $2.9 million contract.

Now, this incident puts Bird’s future with the Celtics very much in a state of uncertainty.

While they loved his energy and athleticism, he comes into this season far from being one of the team's top players.

Bird has had several injuries in college at Cal and last season with the Celtics and Red Claws that he has had to overcome.

Still, this is obviously different.

And while those physical bumps and bruises healed in time, there’s no telling how long it’ll take for him to get past this incident.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

This story shows just how excited Kemba Walker was to become a Celtic

This story shows just how excited Kemba Walker was to become a Celtic

Boston Celtics fans were ecstatic last summer to find out Kemba Walker would be their new starting point guard, and the feeling was mutual.

After Walker agreed to join the C's on a four-year, $141 million max deal, he couldn't help but tell the world. Walker's sister, Sharifa Nesbitt, described Kemba's excitement upon joining the Celtics in an excellent feature written by Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe.

When Walker and his sister returned to Charlotte on June 27, his decision had been all but made. A man at the airport asked if he was going to re-sign with the Hornets, and Walker told him that he was going to become a Celtic, breaking the news himself in a busy terminal.

'He was telling whoever would ask,” Sharifa said with a chuckle. 'He was just happy.'

It's been all smiles for Walker on the court during the 2019-20 season as well. The 29-year-old has quickly become the heart and soul of the C's and has drastically improved the team's chemistry after last year's tumultuous campaign.

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Celtics news and analysis

After what Walker went through with the Charlotte Hornets, it's no surprise he was so thrilled to join a perennial contender like Boston. Charlotte only had two winning seasons since drafting Walker in 2011.

Walker is averaging 20.0 points, 4.9 assists, and 4.1 rebounds through 50 games played this season, and he'll be a huge factor in the Celtics' success if and when the NBA season finally resumes.

You can read Himmelsbach's full feature on Walker here.

Celtics' Marcus Smart makes perfect comment about NBA's HORSE challenge

Celtics' Marcus Smart makes perfect comment about NBA's HORSE challenge

We'll finally get to see some basketball action -- sort of -- when NBA's "HORSE Challenge" begins Sunday night.

Unfortunately, Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart won't be participating despite being a master trick-shot artist.  He did, however, chime in with an idea for a contest he'd love to be a part of.

"Let’s play H-O-R-S-E with defense and see how that works out ;)," he tweeted Thursday night.

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Celtics news and analysis

Sounds right up the potential Defensive Player of the Year's alley.

Although Smart won't get the chance to show off his trick-shot prowess, one former Celtic will. Paul Pierce is set to be one of the eight contestants in the competition.

Smart tested positive for the coronavirus last month, but he has since been cleared. The 26-year-old recently appeared on CNN to discuss the importance of social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic and donated his plasma to the National COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project.