Celtics

Did Marvin Williams want to rejoin Kemba Walker with Boston Celtics?

Did Marvin Williams want to rejoin Kemba Walker with Boston Celtics?

After the NBA trade deadline passed at 3 p.m. on Feb. 6, veteran players on underachieving teams could no longer seek out trades.

As such, the NBA buyout market started to heat up. And until March 1 rolls around -- the deadline for bought-out players to sign with another team and be playoff-eligible -- rumors about available players will continue to leak as lottery-destined teams decide whether or not to buy out some veterans on expiring deals to let them get involved in playoff races.

One such player was Marvin Williams. The long-time stretch forward of the Charlotte Hornets received a buyout from the squad and some had hoped that he could join the Boston Celtics. After all, he comes with 6-foot-9 size and his 37.6 mark from behind the arc could've intrigued a team in need of size and shooting.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

Instead, Williams quickly elected to sign with the Milwaukee Bucks. And while the Eastern Conference's top team is a sensible landing spot for him, he seemingly would've liked a chance to reunite with his former teammate, Kemba Walker.

And as Walker detailed in a recent interview with Adam Himmelsbach of The Boston Globe, the feeling was mutual.

“[Marvin Williams] said that he wished he could have gotten to Boston with me, but I’m just happy for him,” Walker said. “That’s my guy, man. That’s one of my favorite teammates I’ve ever been around. That’s my vet. I was upset that we didn’t get the chance to get him, but I’m happy for him. He deserves it. He’s been in the league for a very long time. He works hard. He deserves to be on a winning team.”

That's some glowing praise from Walker. And given Williams' reputation, it's likely that he would've fit in very well with the squad while providing upgrades in the area of size and shooting.

However, to get a guy like Williams, the Celtics would've had to part ways with one of the players on their already-full 15-man roster. That could've meant parting with Javonte Green or Vincent Poirier and as appealing as that may sound to some, it would also mean giving up on a young asset that has flashed at points in the season.

Perhaps the Celtics will see a player out there that they think can assist them in a championship effort. But if they don't see one, the C's and Danny Ainge may be content to stick with the roster they have as they try to make another postseason run.

And Walker most certainly understands that.

Don't miss NBC Sports Boston's coverage of Celtics-Rockets, which begins Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. with Celtics Pregame Live followed by tip-off at 9:30 p.m. You can also stream the game on the MyTeams App.

NBA Rumors: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant won't play for Nets when season resumes

NBA Rumors: Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant won't play for Nets when season resumes

Since the NBA's suspended season has given Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant months to recover from their respective injuries, some believed they could return and make the Brooklyn Nets title contenders.

That theory was put to rest on Friday.

Durant confirmed to ESPN's Marc J. Spears he will not be returning to play when the NBA season resumes in Orlando, Fla. next month. As for Irving, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski says the former Boston Celtics guard suggested on Friday's NBPA conference call it's possible he could join the team... as an inactive player.


Download the MyTeams app for the latest Celtics news and analysis

Durant missed the entire 2019-20 campaign after rupturing his Achilles tendon in last year's NBA Finals. Irving underwent surgery in March to repair an impingement in his right shoulder that ended his first season with the Nets after only 20 games.

Brooklyn currently holds the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference with a 30-34 record on the season.

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan

On Thursday, the NBA announced a 22-team plan to resume the 2019-20 season in Orlando, Fla.

The plan passed by an overwhelming 29-1 vote among teams, with the Portland Trail Blazers as the only organization to vote against it. Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck, obviously, was one of the many in favor of the plan and discussed why Friday on Felger & Mazz.

"The point that seemed the most fair is not to give a team that was lagging farther behind in the East, and that was for example [the Charlotte Hornets] who are seven games back," Grousbeck said. "In the history of the NBA, no one has ever come from seven games back at this point in the season. And so, it's more fair to say no, we can only take so many teams because of safety.

"We don't want to have 500 more people with all 30 teams. We'd just have more of a chance of getting shut down because of the virus. So there was a line to be drawn, and we all decided 29-1 that this was the most fair line."

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Celtics news and analysis

With safety as the No. 1 concern going forward, it's a no-brainer to limit the teams heading down to Walt Disney World to only the ones that can fight for a playoff spot.

Grousbeck also suggested that the Eastern Conference No. 1 seed Milwaukee Bucks could be the C's first opponent when the league returns to action. The Celtics were preparing for a matchup in Milwaukee when the season was suspended in mid-March.

"I think our first game is going to be Milwaukee, which that would be interesting," Grousbeck said. "Because that's what the schedule looks like just from the current schedule. We don't have the new schedule yet. But we'll probably start right off with Milwaukee."

The C's currently have the No. 3 seed in the East as they prepare to return to the court.

You can hear the rest of what Grousbeck had to say in the video above.