The rest of us? We're more hands-on learners. And that's where the mock draft comes in.
Should you draft a running back or a wide receiver with the seventh pick in the first round? See who an expert picked at No. 7. How soon is too soon to draft a quarterback? Check out the team of an owner who snagged a QB in the early rounds and decide if you like that approach.
The mock draft is a valuable tool for fantasy owners of all skill levels, which is why we rounded up the staff at NBC Sports Boston -- including our two Patriots Insiders, Tom E. Curran and Phil Perry -- to conduct our own 10-team mock draft on the Yahoo Fantasy Football platform.
Here are the details: Snake draft, standard scoring (half-point PPR) and a standard roster (one QB, two RBs, two WRs, one TE, one FLEX, one K, one DEF, six bench spots).
And here's how everything shook out, with our brief takeaways for each round.
1. Nick Goss -- Alvin Kamara, RB, Saints
2. Jacob Camenker -- Saquon Barkley, RB, Giants
3. Darren Hartwell -- Christian McCaffrey, RB, Panthers
4. Tom E. Curran -- JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Steelers
5. Michael DePrisco -- David Johnson, RB, Cardinals
6. Phil Perry -- Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Cowboys
7. Pat Dunne -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans
8. Dave Green -- Le'Veon Bell, RB, Jets
9. Justin Leger -- Nick Chubb, RB, Browns
10. Jason Levine -- Davante Adams, WR, Packers
Our takeaway: Leave it to Tom to buck convention and take Smith-Schuster at No. 4 overall. His defense: "Who else are the Stelers going to throw to?" Bell going in Round 1 is an upset, too, as he's fallen to the second or third round in some mocks.
11. Jason -- James Conner, RB, Steelers
12. Justin -- Julio Jones, WR, Falcons
13. Dave -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, Browns
14. Pat -- Michael Thomas, WR, Saints
15. Phil -- Travis Kelce, TE, Chiefs
16. Michael -- Tyreek Hill, WR, Chiefs
17. Tom -- George Kittle, TE, 49ers
18. Darren -- Joe Mixon, RB, Bengals
19. Jacob -- Todd Gurley, RB, Rams
20. Nick -- Patrick Mahomes, QB, Chiefs
Our takeaway: Mahomes in the second round is a bit early for my taste. He's the consensus QB1, but I'd probably hold off until the second or third round. But the fact that Kelce and Hill both went ahead of him proves Kansas City should have an explosive offense again this season.
21. Nick -- Amari Cooper, WR, Cowboys
22. Jacob -- Mike Evans, WR, Buccaneers
23. Darren -- Keenan Allen, WR, Chargers
24. Tom -- Kerryon Johnson, RB, Lions
25. Michael -- Marlon Mack, RB, Colts
26. Phil -- Antonio Brown, WR, Raiders
27. Pat -- Baker Mayfield, QB, Browns
28. Dave -- Dalvin Cook, RB, Vikings
29. Justin -- Zach Ertz, TE, Eagles
30. Jason -- Damien Williams, RB, Chiefs
Our takeaway: How the mighty have fallen... A third-round pick is the new reality for Brown after his move from Pittsburgh to the Black Hole. Mack at No. 25 is a bit of an eye-raiser.
31. Jason -- Deshaun Watson, QB, Texans
32. Justin -- Aaron Jones, RB, Packers
33. Dave -- Adam Thielen, WR, Vikings
34. Pat -- Derrick Henry, RB, Titans
35. Phil -- T.Y. Hilton, WR, Colts
36. Michael -- Stefon Diggs, WR, Vikings
37. Tom -- Chris Godwin, WR, Buccaneers
38. Darren -- Julian Edelman, WR, Patriots
39. Jacob -- Melvin Gordon, RB, Chargers
40. Nick -- Josh Jacobs, RB, Raiders
Our takeaway: Jacobs is a nice pickup for Nick at the end of Round 4. Jon Gruden is an old-school coach with an affinity for workhorse backs, which could translate into tons of touches for the rookie out of Alabama.
41. Nick -- Vance McDonald, TE, Steelers
42. Jacob -- Leonard Fournette, RB, Jaguars
43. Darren -- Robert Woods, WR, Rams
44. Tom -- Devonta Freeman, RB, Falcons
45. Michael -- Kenny Golladay, WR, Lions
46. Phil -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Rams
47. Pat -- Sony Michel, RB, Patriots
48. Dave -- Tyler Boyd, WR, Bengals
49. Justin -- David Montgomery, RB, Bears
50. Jason -- Mike Williams, WR, Chargers
Our takeaway: I'm wary of Michel in the top 50 based on his balky knee and Bill Belichick's penchant for torturing fantasy owners. If you draft Michel, consider scooping up Damien Harris later on.
51. Jason -- Jarvis Landry, WR, Browns
52. Justin -- D.J. Moore, WR, Panthers
53. Dave -- Chris Carson, RB, Seahawks
54. Pat -- Calvin Ridley, WR, Falcons
55. Phil -- Mark Ingram, RB, Ravens
56. Michael -- Tevin Coleman, RB, 49ers
57. Tom -- Russell Wilson, QB, Seahawks
58. Darren -- Tyler Lockett, WR, Seahawks
59. Jacob -- Curtis Samuel, WR, Panthers
60. Nick -- Alshon Jeffery, WR, Eagles
Our takeaway: Rounds 5 and 6 are a good time to fill out depth at wide receiver and running back ... unless you're the intrepid Tom E. Curran, who made Wilson the fourth QB off the board.
61. Nick -- James White, RB, Patriots
62. Jacob -- A.J. Green, WR, Bengals
63. Darren -- Evan Engram, TE, Giants
64. Tom -- Robby Anderson, WR, Jets
65. Michael -- Aaron Rodgers, QB, Packers
66. Phil -- Cooper Kupp, WR, Rams
67. Pat -- O.J. Howard, TE, Buccaneers
68. Dave -- Hunter Henry, TE, Chargers
69. Justin -- Will Fuller V, WR, Texans
70. Jason -- Jared Cook, TE, Saints
Our takeaway: Here comes the run on mid-tier tight ends! I'm partial to Engram, who's in a bad Giants offense but should see an uptick in targets in Beckham's absence.
71. Jason -- Phillip Lindsay, RB, Broncos
72. Justin -- Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons
73. Dave -- Allen Robinson II, WR, Bears
74. Pat -- Drew Brees, QB, Saints
75. Phil -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Chiefs
76. Michael -- Miles Sanders, RB, Eagles
77. Tom -- Tarik Cohen, RB, Bears
78. Darren -- Andrew Luck, QB, Colts
79. Jacob -- Cam Newton, QB, Panthers
80. Nick -- David Njoku, TE, Browns
Our takeaway: Are there a ton of red flags around Luck? Yes. Is he doomed to endure another injury-riddled season? Maybe. But I think the value is good enough at No. 78 given what he can do when healthy.
UPDATE (Saturday Aug. 24, 10 p.m. ET): So, about that Luck pick... The red flags turned out to be very real, as Luck shockingly retired from the NFL on Saturday night.
81. Nick -- Jordan Howard, RB, Eagles
82. Jacob -- Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals
83. Darren -- Christian Kirk, WR, Cardinals
84. Tom -- Latavius Murray, RB, Saints
85. Michael -- Eric Ebron, TE, Colts
86. Phil -- Kenyan Drake, RB, Dolphins
87. Pat -- Corey Davis, WR, Titans
88. Dave -- Dede Westbrook, WR, Jaguars
89. Justin -- Lamar Miller, RB, Texans
90. Jason -- Devin Funchess, WR, Colts
Our takeaway: Drake's foot injury is scaring a lot of people off, but he's still a top-30 running back in our rankings, so Phil got great value here at No. 86.
91. Jason -- Damien Harris, RB, Patriots
92. Justin -- Rashaad Penny, RB, Seahawks
93. Dave -- Austin Ekeler, RB, Chargers
94. Pat -- Royce Freeman, RB, Broncos
95. Phil -- Duke Johnson Jr., RB, Texans
96. Michael -- Derrius Guice, RB, Redskins
97. Tom -- Sterling Shepard, WR, Giants
98. Darren -- Kyler Murray, QB, Cardinals
99. Jacob -- Carson Wentz, QB, Eagles
100. Nick -- Bears D/ST
Our takeaway: Round 10 saw an epic run on backup running backs. I think Michael got the best value with Derrius Guice, who will split carries with Adrian Peterson but still should be featured prominently in Washington's run-heavy offense.
101. Nick -- Dak Prescott, QB, Cowboys
102. Jacob -- Delanie Walker, TE, Titans
103. Darren -- Matt Breida, RB, 49ers
104. Tom -- Justin Tucker, K, Ravens
105. Michael -- Ravens D/ST
106. Phil -- Marvin Jones Jr., WR, Lions
107. Pat -- Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings
108. Dave -- Dante Pettis, WR, 49ers
109. Justin -- Darrell Henderson Jr., RB, Rams
110. Jason -- LeSean McCoy, RB, Bills
Our takeaway: ... And there goes the first kicker, four rounds too soon. We're disappointed in you, Tom.
111. Jason -- Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Broncos
112. Justin -- Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, Packers
113. Dave -- Jared Goff, QB, Rams
114. Pat -- Greg Zuerlein, K, Rams
115. Phil -- Lamar Jackson, QB, Ravens
116. Michael -- DeSean Jackson, WR, Eagles
117. Tom -- Jaguars D/ST
118. Darren -- Rams D/ST
119. Jacob -- Golden Tate, WR, Giants
120. Nick --Will Lutz, K, Saints
Our takeaway: Amid an ugly round of defenses and kickers, Justin got good value in Valdes-Scantling, who has the chance to be the No. 2 in Green Bay behind Davante Adams.
121. Nick -- Jamison Crowder, WR, Jets
122. Jacob -- James Washington, WR, Steelers
123. Darren -- Kalen Ballage, RB, Dolphins
124. Tom -- Courtland Sutton, WR, Broncos
125. Michael -- Philip Rivers, QB, Chargers
126. Phil -- Nyheim Hines, RB, Colts
127. Pat -- Geronimo Allison, WR, Packers
128. Dave -- Vikings D/ST
129. Justin -- Donte Moncrief, WR, Steelers
130. Jason -- Patriots D/ST
Our takeaway: Tom redeemed himself with a nice sleeper pick in Sutton, who could be in for a breakout season. I'm also a fan of Ballage if Drake's injury bleeds into the regular season.
131. Jason -- Robbie Gould, K, 49ers
132. Justin -- Chargers D/ST
133. Dave -- N'Keal Harry, WR, Patriots
134. Pat -- Anthony Miller, WR, Bears
135. Phil -- Jakobi Meyers, WR, Patriots
136. Michael -- Trey Burton, TE, Bears
137. Tom -- Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, 49ers
138. Darren -- Josh Gordon, WR, Patriots
139. Jacob -- Eagles D/ST
140. Nick -- Ronald Jones II, RB, Buccaneers
Our takeaway: Let's get nuts! Phil pulled the homer card to draft training camp darling Jakobi Meyers, prompting Tom to troll Patriots fans by drafting Jimmy G with Tom Brady still on the board. And Gordon finally comes off the board at No. 138, a pretty good bargain but not much higher than he should be drafted considering the risk you assume in drafting him.
141. Nick -- Austin Hooper, TE, Falcons
142. Jacob -- Georgio Tavecchio, K, Falcons
143. Darren -- Harrison Butker, K, Chiefs
144. Tom -- Jaylen Samuels, RB, Steelers
145. Michael -- Jake Elliott, K, Eagles
146. Phil -- Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
147. Pat -- Texans D/ST
148. Dave -- Stephen Gostkowski, K, Patriots
149. Justin -- Ka'imi Fairbairn, K, Texans
150. Jason -- Kirk Cousins, QB, Vikings
Our takeaway: We almost made it through a Boston-area fantasy draft without Brady going off the board. Brady may be the real-life GOAT, but he's simply not a top-15 fantasy QB anymore, so don't be fooled by your Patriots-tinted glasses.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.