Patriots

Bill Belichick used Matt Patricia's idea to combat historic Miami heat

Bill Belichick used Matt Patricia's idea to combat historic Miami heat

Bill Belichick is always looking for an edge. And apparently one of his former assistants helped give him one Sunday.

Keen observers of the Patriots' 43-0 rout of the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium may have noticed a handful of makeshift tents on New England's sideline under which players could find relief from the South Florida heat.

In a conference call with reporters Monday, Belichick admitted the tent idea came from his former defensive coordinator, Matt Patricia, who suggested it this August when the Patriots held joint practices with his Detroit Lions.

"The canopy thing was something that Matt [Patricia] did last year when he went down and they played the Dolphins in Miami," Belichick said. " ... In training camp we were out there and talked about it a little bit, so I felt like it would be something worth trying, and we did during the game."

The temperature at kickoff was 87 degrees, but the heat index rose into the 100s thanks to 67 percent humidity, prompting quarterback Tom Brady to declare Sunday's game one of the hottest he's ever played in.

"That was as hot a game as I can remember," Brady said Monday on WEEI's "The Greg Hill Show." " ... That was pretty intense."

That's a pretty bold claim considering Brady visited Miami once a year for the past two decades. But Belichick backed his quarterback's "hot" take.

"I would agree with Tom's assessment," Belichick told reporters. "I can't remember being in a hotter game than that. Sometimes what the temperature is and how it feels are two different things. It was a very challenging heat."

Brady and the Patriots kept their cool, though: Brady completed 20 of 28 passes for 264 yards and two touchdowns while New England's defense absolutely erased Miami's offense.

How much those tents played a role in the Patriots' domination is up for debate, but in any case, they were much better prepared for the Dolphins than the last time they visited Miami Gardens.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Marquis Flowers, Sterling Moore, Sealver Siliga among ex-Patriots taken in XFL draft

Marquis Flowers, Sterling Moore, Sealver Siliga among ex-Patriots taken in XFL draft

Former Patriots linebacker Marquis Flowers, ex-Pats Sterling Moore, a cornerback, and Sealver Siliga, a defensive tackle, were among the players with New England ties selected in the XFL draft.

The spring football league that played one season in 2001 is being rebooted and will begin play in February with eight teams. Its two-day draft concluded Wednesday.

Players were picked in five phases of the draft in the following order: skill position, offensive line, defensive front seven and defensive backs. An open portion concluded the draft.

Flowers, 27, who played for the Patriots in 2017, was selected with the Dallas Renegades' second pick of the open portion.

Siliga, 29, a Patriot from 2012-15, also went to Dallas with their second pick of the front seven phase.

Moore, 29, known for stripping the ball from Baltimore Ravens receiver Lee Evans in the end zone and denying what would've been a winning touchdown catch in the Pats' 2011 AFC Championship Game victory, was picked by the Seattle Dragons in the defensive back phase.

Other notable ex-Patriots, defensive end Kony Ealy, acquired in a trade by New England in 2017 but cut that summer in training camp, was the first pick of the Houston Roughnecks in the open phase. Running back Ralph Webb, an undrafted free agent who had a strong preseason opener in 2018 before being cut, was the first pick of the Tampa Bay Vipers in the open phase and linebacker Scooby Wright, who played for the Patriots this past preseason and was cut from their practice squad Oct. 1, was chosen by the DC Defenders in the front-seven phase. 

Former Boston College running back Andre Williams was selected by Houston in the skill position phase.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Ex-Patriot Trent Brown denies domestic violence allegations in statement

Ex-Patriot Trent Brown denies domestic violence allegations in statement

Former Patriot and current Raiders offensive lineman Trent Brown was sued by his ex-girlfriend for domestic violence, and he responded to the allegations with a statement via Twitter on Wednesday.

“I am aware that my ex-girlfriend has filed a civil suit against me,” Brown tweeted. “I deny the claims. They are false. I believe in the court system where I will clear my name. I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

The disturbing acts Brown is being accused of allegedly took place over the spring and summer of this year. After helping the Patriots to their sixth Super Bowl title, the 26-year-old signed a four-year, $66 million deal with the Raiders in March.

The NFL is expected to investigate the civil allegations just as it investigated Antonio Brown's, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.