Patriots

First-round pick N'Keal Harry placed on IR by Patriots, team re-signs Demaryius Thomas

First-round pick N'Keal Harry placed on IR by Patriots, team re-signs Demaryius Thomas

The New England Patriots are making a move at the receiver position.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Patriots are putting first-round rookie wide receiver N'Keal Harry on Injured Reserve. Harry, who dealt with various injuries during the preseason, will have an opportunity to return later in the season.

In order to earn the right to be designated to return from IR, a player must make the team's initial 53-man roster. That explains why Harry wasn't placed on the injury list until now, as it will at least give him a shot at coming back if he can get healthy.

Harry's placement on IR also opened up another roster spot. And as expected, the spot will go to veteran receiver Demaryius Thomas. 

Thomas signed with the team during the offseason and after being activated from the PUP list, he scored twice in the final preseason game. Many expected him to make the final roster, but he was cut. However, Thomas' release was procedural, as the team always intended on bringing him back. So, Thomas was only off the roster for a couple of days.

This was a necessary move for the Patriots. Harry was barely able to play during the preseason and placing him on IR will give him a couple of months to deal with these nagging injuries. Meanwhile, Thomas will give them a veteran option to serve as the No. 3 receiver while Harry is out of commission.

CURRAN: Steelers will be happy to face Gronk-less Patriots>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Report: 2020 NFL Draft will be conducted from homes, not team facilities

Report: 2020 NFL Draft will be conducted from homes, not team facilities

While the tradition of the NFL draft in late April apparently will not be stopped by the coronavirus, the traditional draft "war room" might be.

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Patriots news and analysis

NFL teams are preparing to conduct the April 23-25 draft with personnel at their homes and not at their team facilities, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.  

Schefter and ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski also reported that President Trump had a conference call on Saturday with the commissioners of each of the major league sports and Trump said he believes the NFL season should start on time. The regular season is scheduled to begin Sept. 10, a Thursday night, when the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs host an opponent to be determined. 

Trump, who last week expressed the hope that mass gatherings could return by Easter Sunday before backtracking on the advice of medical experts and scientists and extending restrictions until April 30, also said he hopes to have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September. 

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell ordered team facilities closed more than a week ago.

Earlier, when the NFL announced that the draft would go on as scheduled, it was thought that the teams would work from their facilities - with only 10 people in a room, each six feet apart - to make the picks and contact players chosen via video conferencing. 

Listen and subscribe to Phil Perry's Next Pats Podcast here: 

It appears from Schefter's report that the video conferencing will be going on not only with picks but among individual team's general managers, scouts and coaches as they shelter in place like the rest of us while the coronavirus continues to wreak havoc on the world. 

It creates an unprecedented draft, likely devoid of a lot of the glitzy production values that the original idea of the draft in Las Vegas would've had, but still a far cry from when the teams' decision-makers met in a smoky New York hotel ballroom on a Tuesday in late April to do the picking. 

 

New York Post salutes Robert Kraft with 'Thank You, Pats' front page

New York Post salutes Robert Kraft with 'Thank You, Pats' front page

That whole Boston-New York rivalry thing gets put aside when it comes to public health and the crisis we all find ourselves in these days.

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Patriots news and analysis

There's no better example of that than the front page of the New York Post on Saturday morning:

Patriots owner Robert Kraft sent the team plane to China to purchase and bring back 1.7 million N95 protective masks needed to help combat the deadly coronavirus that has hit New York City particularly hard. The Kraft family donated 300,000 masks to New York-area hospitals and they arrived on Friday in a tractor-trailer emblazoned with the Patriots logo. 

In a city that, as Post columnist Mark Cannizzaro put it, has "been trained to disdain" everything about the Patriots and Boston teams, it should be a gesture that forever puts Kraft in the New York family: 

Today, however, everyone associated with New York — Jets fans or otherwise — should salute the 78-year-old Kraft, who delivered a deed so special in this frightening and uncertain time of the coronavirus crisis that it should never be forgotten.

Even Jets superfan "Fireman Ed" Anzalone told the Post he has to put the rivalry aside.

“I don’t like his team. They’ve been beating us up for quite some time. But Kraft is just a wonderful guy, so I’m not surprised by his actions.”