So far this season, the Red Sox have sputtered to a 6-13 start and have already made some major changes to their roster. They designated Blake Swihart for assignment and have made a few other roster moves amid injuries to Dustin Pedroia, Eduardo Nunez, and Brock Holt, the team's three second basemen. And the latest move is an intriguing one.
Michael Chavis was brought up to the major leagues to help the struggling Red Sox offense. Chavis, one of the team's top hitting prospects, is on the major league roster for the first time, and they will try to use his bat to spark their struggling unit.
That said, Tzu-Wei Lin still figures to be the primary starter at second base moving forward, per Jason Mastrodonato of The Boston Herald.
Cora said Chavis will play mostly 1B and 3B. Want to get his bat in the lineup somehow and he’s not quite ready for second, Cora said. Lin will play there regularly for now. Chavis hasn’t arrived in Tampa but expected to before game time.— Jason Mastrodonato (@JMastrodonato) April 19, 2019
Chavis isn't ready to play at second base despite the hole the Sox currently has there. He has only played five games at the position in the minors, so putting him there at the major-league level would be a major risk.
Cora said the right-handed hitting Chavis will get a chance to play both corner infield positions and may even get some at-bats at DH. Until the team solves its offensive woes, the Sox will have to continue to experiment with different combinations until they find something that works.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.