Red Sox

Alex Cora reveals plans for using top prospect, Michael Chavis

Alex Cora reveals plans for using top prospect, Michael Chavis

So far this season, the Red Sox have sputtered to a 6-13 start and have already made some major changes to their roster. They designated Blake Swihart for assignment and have made a few other roster moves amid injuries to Dustin Pedroia, Eduardo Nunez, and Brock Holt, the team's three second basemen. And the latest move is an intriguing one.

Michael Chavis was brought up to the major leagues to help the struggling Red Sox offense. Chavis, one of the team's top hitting prospects, is on the major league roster for the first time, and they will try to use his bat to spark their struggling unit.

That said, Tzu-Wei Lin still figures to be the primary starter at second base moving forward, per Jason Mastrodonato of The Boston Herald.

Chavis isn't ready to play at second base despite the hole the Sox currently has there. He has only played five games at the position in the minors, so putting him there at the major-league level would be a major risk.

Cora said the right-handed hitting Chavis will get a chance to play both corner infield positions and may even get some at-bats at DH. Until the team solves its offensive woes, the Sox will have to continue to experiment with different combinations until they find something that works.

Rays reaping rewards of Derek Lowe/Jason Varitek type trade>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

How Jonathan Lucroy factors into Red Sox' catcher plans after signing

How Jonathan Lucroy factors into Red Sox' catcher plans after signing

Jonathan Lucroy officially is a member of the Boston Red Sox.

But don't expect him to challenge Christian Vazquez for the starting catcher job.

The Red Sox have added Lucroy to their spring training roster as a non-roster invite, the team announced Wednesday.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

That means the 33-year-old catcher is on a minor league contract, as Mass Live's Chris Cotillo reported Tuesday morning, and likely will begin the year at Triple-A Pawtucket unless he outperforms current backup Kevin Plawecki in spring training.

Lucroy also will face competition from four other non-roster invites: Juan Centeno, recent addition Connor Wong, Roldani Baldwin and Jett Bandy.

Plawecki figures to be the No. 2 to Vazquez, who caught a career-high 138 games last season.

Lucroy has a more impressive pedigree -- he's a two-time All-Star and 10-year MLB veteran who spent five seasons as Ron Roenicke's catcher on the Milwaukee Brewers -- but hasn't been very effective while bouncing between five teams over the last four seasons.

The Red Sox appear to be making a minimal investment in Lucroy, though, which could pay off if he has a strong 2020 spring training.

MLB Rumors: Could Red Sox be part of three-team Wil Myers trade?

MLB Rumors: Could Red Sox be part of three-team Wil Myers trade?

Could the Boston Red Sox participate in another blockbuster trade before the 2020 season?

We learned Tuesday that the Red Sox and Padres are still discussing a trade involving San Diego outfielder Wil Myers, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

But it's possible a third team gets involved in a Red Sox-Padres trade, The Athletic's Dennis Lin reported Wednesday.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

From Lin:

As part of these considerations, the Padres have discussed a potential three-team trade that would ship Myers to the Red Sox and land Cincinnati Reds center fielder-second baseman Nick Senzel in San Diego, two sources told The Athletic

Lin added that no trade is imminent, but Acee also reported the Padres have interest in the 24-year-old Senzel, the Cincinnati Reds' No. 2 overall pick in 2016 who would become San Diego's center fielder.

Per Acee, a Padres-Red Sox trade would have Boston assume about half of the $61 million Myers is owed over the next three years while receiving some combination of pitcher Cal Quantrill and prospects Luis Campusano and Gabriel Arias.

It's unclear how the Reds' involvement would affect Boston's return for Myers, or if the Red Sox would have to send a player to Cincinnati in this deal.

But San Diego general manager A.J. Preller apparently is serious about making a move: The Padres also remain interested in Cleveland Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor, Lin reports.