Major League Baseball is investigating the Boston Red Sox for illegally stealing signs during their 2018 World Series-winning season, but left fielder Andrew Benintendi is confident the team is innocent.
The MLB's investigation reportedly will extend into spring training, so we probably won't get the league's findings and any subsequent punishments until at least next week.
Benintendi spoke with reporters Wednesday at the team's spring training facility in Fort Myers, Fla., and he was adamant the team did nothing wrong.
"We know what's going on and we know that we didn't do anything," Benintendi said. "As far as what the report is going to say, whatever it says it says, we're just focused on this year and that's all we're focused on."
The offseason has been full of distractions for the Red Sox. Not only have they been caught up in the Houston Astros' cheating scandal that led to the departure of manager Alex Cora, the team also traded its best player, Mookie Betts, and starting pitcher David Price to the Los Angeles Dodgers earlier this week.
It's safe to say the Red Sox are as eager as ever to turn the page and starting playing baseball.
"I think we're all just looking forward to 2020," Benintendi said. "I think all of us are confident in what's going to come out. All we can do is focus on baseball. There's a lot of distractions, obviously, and we're all just ready to focus on this year.
"Once everybody is here on Monday, all that's behind us. We're looking forward to it, just getting out there and doing what we love."