Red Sox

Ex-Red Sox pitcher texted Alex Cora high praise of Connor Seabold

Red Sox

Connor Seabold's second career big-league outing caught the attention of a former Cy Young award winner.

Ex-Boston Red Sox southpaw David Price tuned in for Seabold's start Monday against the Toronto Blue Jays. The 26-year-old prospect didn't have the performance he hoped for as he allowed seven runs on nine hits in 4.2 innings. Still, Price came away impressed with what he watched.

Tomase: Outfield remains a Red Sox need; here are five possible fits

"It’s funny, I got a text message from David Price at 1 a.m. yesterday," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said, per WEEI. "He was like, 'That kid is good.' I was like, 'Oh, thank you. Thank you for watching.'"

While Seabold's final line wasn't pretty, there were some positives to take away from his appearance. He tallied seven strikeouts and caused 21 swing-and-misses, the most by a Red Sox starter this season. Despite the team's 7-2 defeat, Cora agrees with Price's assessment.

"I think they recognize the swing and misses," Cora added. "They saw the changeup. Obviously, it’s not an easy lineup but there were a lot of positives from yesterday. We want to make sure he understands that. Obviously, the line is the line. He’s not happy with it. But, stuff-wise, a lot better than last year in September."

Price's praise helped Seabold get his mind off the the numbers on the box score.

"Hearing something like that from a guy who has been there, done that, it’s a high compliment," he said. "I’m not going to lie. It’s pretty cool."

 

Seabold was sent back down to Triple-A Worcester after Monday's start. The right-hander is 5-1 with a 2. ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 11 starts with the WooSox this year.