Red Sox

Dodgers' Rich Hill was left in the dark about World Series Game 4 start

Dodgers' Rich Hill was left in the dark about World Series Game 4 start

Dave Roberts may have to answer some questions about how he used Rich Hill in Game 4 of the World Series.

The Los Angeles Dodgers manager drew criticism for pulling Hill after 6 1/3 innings of one-hit ball against the Boston Red Sox. But according to Hill, Roberts also didn't tell the left-hander he was starting Game 4 until the morning of the game.

Appearing on "The Bradfo Sho" podcast, Hill told WEEI's Rob Bradford the Dodgers were mulling starting a relief pitcher in Game 4 before bringing in a traditional starter like Hill behind him.

"There is a rhythm, there is a flow to the game that the starting pitcher gets into," Hill told Bradford. "And I don’t know if the World Series is necessarily the time to actually … It was up in the air."

Hill appeared to catch himself before outright calling out his manager, but it sure sounds like he would have preferred more advance notice before his biggest start of the season.

"We’re not talking about the regular season. We’re talking about the World Series," Hill added. "It is funny because I think that is kind of the part you have to adjust as you get older. My wife and I have been all over the place playing. We’ve been to hell and back and we’re here, so really being affected by pitching or starting or whatever in the World Series is really a minuscule thing compared to many things that are going on."

So, why did Roberts keep Hill in the dark? According to Bradford, the Red Sox thought Roberts was employing some gamesmanship by waiting until the last minute, but in reality, he simply hadn't made up his mind about who was going to start Game 4.

The change in routine didn't seem to bother Hill, who allowed just one run in a brilliant outing. But Rodgers' move to take him out certainly backfired, as L.A.'s bullpen allowed eight runs over the next 2 2/3 innings in a deflating 9-6 loss.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

 

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Here's when Red Sox plan to activate Mitch Moreland from injured list

mitch_moreland_6719.jpg
File photo

Here's when Red Sox plan to activate Mitch Moreland from injured list

All signs point toward Mitch Moreland returning to the Red Sox roster on Tuesday.

That's when the team plans on activating the first baseman from the injured list, according to Ian Browne of MLB.com.

Moreland, who has been sidelined since June 8 with a right quad strain, began his rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket last week. Although he went an uninspiring 0-for-13 during his rehab stint, Moreland shrugged off his struggles with a sense of humor.

The Red Sox will be glad to get some reinforcements at the first base position as they've also been without World Series MVP Steve Pearce for much of the season. Pearce, unlike Moreland, "isn't anything close" to being back according to manager Alex Cora.

Moreland hit .225 with 13 homers in 151 at-bats before landing on the IL.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Report: Pedro Martinez questions David Ortiz mistaken identity theory

david_ortiz.jpg
USA Today Sports

Report: Pedro Martinez questions David Ortiz mistaken identity theory

As of now, Dominican Republic law enforcement officials are maintaining the theory that the gunman who shot David Ortiz on June 9 wasn't targeting the Red Sox legend. 

Baseball Hall of Famers, especially fellow Dominican hero Pedro Martinez, aren't buying it, according to the Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy. Shaughnessy, who attended the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in Cooperstown over the weekend, wrote that he didn't encounter anyone who believed the "mistaken identity" theory. Martinez, who has been in touch with Ortiz, certainly doesn't believe that conclusion, but declined to reveal much. 

“This is for David and his family to talk about when they are ready,’’ Martinez told The Globe. “The only thing I will say is that this is the first time a baseball player was targeted in our country.’’

Even the supposed target of the shooting said he the "mistaken identity" theory doesn't add up. It's important to note, as the U.S. ambassador told Shaughnessy, that the investigation is ongoing. Still, one suspect will reportedly be officially charged with attempted murder and the alleged mastermind of the shooting has been apprehended. More than 10 suspects have been arrested in connection to the shooting of Ortiz. 

Meanwhile, Ortiz underwent a third surgery on July 11 to address complications from the gunshot wounds. Prior to that, his wife, Tiffany, said that he is in 'good' condition as he 'continues to make progress with his recovery.'

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.