Red Sox

Don't look for Swihart behind the plate in Arizona either

Don't look for Swihart behind the plate in Arizona either

At least part of the reason the Red Sox parted ways with Blake Swihart was said to be their lack of faith in his catching ability.

It sounds as if Swihart's new team, the Arizona Diamondbacks, doesn't plan on using him a lot at catcher, either. Dbacks GM Mike Hazen, the former Red Sox GM was in Boston's front office when Swihart was a first-round pick in 2011. He told the Arizona Republic he sees the versatile Swihart moving among several positions.

“We really like his bat and think he has a chance to hit,” Hazen said. “If he ended up in a spot where he got to play every day and did what we felt like he could do with the bat, we wouldn’t have had a chance to acquire him.”  

Look for Swihart to fill in at both corner outfield spots, first, third and even second base, Hazen said. Swihart, 27, appeared in one game at second and three at third in his Red Sox career. Hazen said doesn't see him displacing any of the three catchers on Arizona's roster.

When asked where he envisioned Swihart playing, Hazen said, “It could be behind the plate. It could be at a different position.”

A stint in left for the Red Sox ended disastrously for Swihart in 2016 when he injured his ankle colliding with the side wall in left field at Fenway Park. He was limited to only six games the following season before bouncing back last year to appear in 82 games (catching in 28). He hit .229. 

Swihart was designated for assignment earlier this week before the Sox worked out a trade with Arizona on Friday. They also sent $500,000 in international bonus pool money to the Dbacks in exchange for minor league outfielder Marcus Wilson, 22, ranked Arizona's No. 20 prospect by Baseball America. He was hitting .235 with a .879 OPS and two homers in 12 games for Double-A Jackson. Last year, he hit .235 with a .678 OPS, 10 homers and 26 doubles with Class A Visalia. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

 

Red Sox vs. Blue Jays lineups: Mookie Betts at DH in reshuffled order

mookie_betts.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Red Sox vs. Blue Jays lineups: Mookie Betts at DH in reshuffled order

Alex Cora is getting creative for Thursday's matinee against the Blue Jays in Toronto.

The Boston Red Sox are rolling out a unique lineup for Thursday's 12:37 p.m. ET game that features Michael Chavis leading off and playing first base, Mookie Betts serving as the designated hitter and Steve Pearce playing left field for just the fourth time this season.

Boston's game of lineup musical chairs gives Mitch Moreland the day off, while J.D. Martinez will miss his fourth consecutive game due to illness.

The Red Sox also are making changes on the bump, as right-hander Ryan Weber will make his first start in a Boston uniform. The 28-year-old has allowed one run in eight innings with seven strikeouts over three relief appearances with Boston since getting called up on May 6.

The Sox will have a different bullpen behind Weber, too, as they placed Tyler Thornburg on the 10-day disabled list with a right hip impingement Thursday while recalling right-hander Travis Lakins.

Toronto will counter with left-hander Clayton Richard, who makes his 2019 season debut after returning from a right knee injury.

Here are the Red Sox's and Blue Jays' lineups for Thursday's game, which is set for 12:37 p.m. ET at Rogers Centre.

BOSTON RED SOX (26-23)
Michael Chavis, 1B
Mookie Betts, DH
Xander Bogaerts, SS
Rafael Devers, 3B
Steve Pearce, LF
Andrew Benintendi, CF
Christian Vázquez, C
Eduardo Nunez, 2B
Jackie Bradley Jr., RF

Ryan Weber, RHP (0-0, 1.13 ERA)

TORONTO BLUE JAYS (20-29)
Eric Sogard, 2B
Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B
Justin Smoak, DH
Rowdy Tellez, 1B
Brandon Drury, LF
Freddy Galvis, SS
Bill McKinney, RF
Danny Jansen, C
Jonathan Davis, CF

Clayton Richard, LHP (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox do Bruins a solid, move up May 29 game for Stanley Cup Final

Red Sox do Bruins a solid, move up May 29 game for Stanley Cup Final

The Red Sox know the importance of a championship series in Boston and are planning accordingly.

The Sox announced Thursday they're moving the start time of next Wednesday's home game against the Cleveland Indians from 7:10 p.m. ET to 6:10 p.m. ET to accommodate fans who want to watch Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final between the Boston Bruins and St. Louis Blues.

That Bruins vs. Blues contest is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET down the street at TD Garden, so the Red Sox's early start time will draw more eyeballs to the start of their game while allowing Boston fans to double dip.

The games will still overlap, of course, but if you're at Fenway Park on Wednesday, the Sox will show updates and video highlights of Bruins vs. Blues between innings to save fans the trouble of watching on their smartphones.

Boston fans also will be in the clear for Game 1 of the Cup Final on Monday, as the Red Sox and Indians will play at 4:05 p.m. ET in a Memorial Day afternoon contest before the Bruins drop the puck with the Blues at 8 p.m. ET.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.