Red Sox

How Curt Schilling feels about narrowly missing Hall of Fame in 2020

How Curt Schilling feels about narrowly missing Hall of Fame in 2020

Curt Schilling had a feeling he wouldn't make the Baseball Hall of Fame's Class of 2020. He was right.

The former Boston Red Sox pitcher finished 20 votes shy of earning a Hall of Fame nod Tuesday, as shortstop Derek Jeter and outfielder Larry Walker were the only two inductees.

Hours before the Hall of Fame revealed its results, Schilling tweeted he didn't expect to make it this year but hoped Walker and Jeter would.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

But what about his own fate? Schilling has just two years of ballot eligibility remaining and typically has no filter on social media. The six-time All-Star took the high road Tuesday night, though, congratulating Jeter and Walker while advocating for Scott Rolen to join the Class of 2021.

Schilling didn't totally steer clear of the Hall of Fame debate, though. The former Red Sox pitcher disagreed with a Twitter user who believed Andy Pettitte deserves Hall of Fame recognition for his playoff success, then admitted he doesn't see either Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens getting into the Hall.

Clemens and Bonds' suspected use of performance-enhancing drugs has denied them entry into the Hall for eight years. The debate for Schilling revolves more around statistics: He won three World Series titles (one with the Red Sox in 2004) and is the only non-active pitcher with more than 3,000 career strikeouts who isn't in the Hall of Fame.

Schilling also has had numerous off-field controversies and gotten into hot water several times for making controversial comments. The 53-year-old was on his best behavior Tuesday, though.

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

The Boston Red Sox made a decision that made a lot of fans unhappy in early February. The team decided to trade Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with David Price in exchange for a package of three prospects.

Betts, the MLB's MVP back in 2018, is one of the top five players in the league. He hit .295 with 29 homers last year as the Red Sox lead-off hitter, so parting with him obviously stings.

But could the Red Sox try to bring him back in free agency next offseason? It's possible, and it's something that Xander Bogaerts thinks the team could attempt to do.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

“Hey, you know... probably, maybe in a year,” Bogaerts said of potentially getting Betts back in 2021, per Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com. “We’ll see how that goes. He knows what he means to us and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

Of course, there's no guarantee that Betts will end up returning to Boston. He could opt to sign an extension with the Dodgers or he could simply sign with the team that offers him the most money. And given how far apart he and the Red Sox were in negotiations, Betts may simply be out of their preferred price range.

It's tough to prognosticate what will happen in a year. And Betts wasn't willing to give any context clues during his introductory press conference with the Dodgers.

But Bogaerts and the Sox will remain hopeful. And until then, Boston's shortstop had one message for his former teammate.

“Obviously, I wish him nothing but the best," Bogaerts said, per Cotillo. "One of the best teammates I’ve had. One of the best young players we had to wear the Red Sox uniform.

"He’s someone we’re going to miss a lot. It’s not easy to replace somebody like that on and off the field.”

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

With spring training now here for MLB clubs, the Boston Red Sox have one massive question hanging over their heads. What will be the result of the MLB's investigation into the team's alleged sign-stealing?

Well, on Sunday afternoon, the Sox got an update on when that may be coming thanks to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.

Manfred has stated that the investigation will likely be wrapped up within the next two weeks, according to Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

It will be interesting to see who the MLB is re-interviewing and what impact that will have on the investigation. But the fact that some developments have "slowed down" the MLB doesn't seem to be good news for the Red Sox.

The sooner the Sox know the results of the investigation, the sooner they can move on from it. And that will be important with the regular season drawing nearer and nearer.