Red Sox

MLB rumors: Mookie Betts turned down this huge Red Sox contract offer after 2017

MLB rumors: Mookie Betts turned down this huge Red Sox contract offer after 2017

The Los Angeles Angels reportedly are finalizing a 12-year, $430 million contract extension with superstar outfielder Mike Trout, which would be the largest contract in MLB history in terms of total value.

The contract also is a huge win for other MLB stars poised to cash in over the next few years, and no one stands to benefit more than Boston Red Sox outfielder Mookie Betts.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported Tuesday that Betts turned down a huge contract extension from the Red Sox after 2017.

Betts rejected an eight-year, $200 million extension proposal following the 2017 season, according to a source. A second source said the Red Sox have made several attempts at a long-term deal with Betts, but that the All-Star has been comfortable with the risks of going a year at a time in exchange for the reward that could come with patience.

Betts certainly made the correct choice, at least so far. Assuming he stays healthy, it's entirely possible his next contract could also be worth $400 million or more. Betts is eligible for unrestricted free agency after the 2020 season.

The 2018 American League MVP is a five-tool player who generates offense at the plate and plays Gold Glove-caliber defense in the field. He's also just 26 years old, one year younger than Trout.

One of the questions for the Red Sox is how high should they go with Betts in negotiations when other important players on the roster also are due for pay raises in the near future. Red Sox starters Chris Sale and Rick Porcello, as well as shortstop Xander Bogaerts will be free agents after 2019. Betts and Jackie Bradley Jr. are slated for free agency after the 2020 campaign, with Andrew Benintendi being eligible in 2022.

The Red Sox are not afraid of having one of the highest payrolls in baseball, but re-signing all of these players to fair contracts likely will be difficult. Betts, however, is worth the price more than any other upcoming Red Sox free agent given his immense talent, age and popularity with the fans.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Mitch Moreland 'running out of stuff to say' about Rafael Devers

Mitch Moreland 'running out of stuff to say' about Rafael Devers

On Sunday afternoon, the Boston Red Sox were able to fight back to earn a win over the Baltimore Orioles. The Red Sox were down 6-0, but they scored 13 answered runs to overtake the woeful Orioles en route to their fifth straight win.

In the contest, the Red Sox offense was powered by Rafael Devers. The 22-year-old went 4-for-5 in the game with a homer and four RBIs and made history. He became only the second Red Sox player to total 100-plus RBIs and 100-plus runs in a season at age 23 or younger. The only other player to do that was Ted Williams, who did it twice.

Devers is currently on a hot streak for the Sox, batting .652 with 3 homers, 7 doubles, and 11 RBIs over the course of his past five games. He also leads the league in hits, RBIs, and doubles as of this writing. And his consistently solid performance has earned endless praise from his coaches and teammates.

"I’m running out of stuff to say about him," first baseman Mitch Moreland said, per Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe. "It seems like a bad day for him is 2 for 4 with a double. He’s been incredible."

Meanwhile, manager Alex Cora praised Devers for his consistency and ability to string together quality at-bats.

"It seems like everything that is in the zone he’s hitting hard," Cora said, per Abraham. "The quality of the at-bats are great. He keeps working. He’s not taking anything for granted."

Devers' red-hot performance has coincided with the Red Sox' recent winning streak, so the team will hope that he can continue to stay hot. And if he can, that could do a lot to help the team succeed with their pitching staff currently weakened by injuries.

Chris Sale to visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Chris Sale will visit with Dr. James Andrews on Monday

Chris Sale will visit with Dr. James Andrews on Monday

Chris Sale is officially getting ready for a visit with Dr. James Andrews.

According to Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora, the team's ace will be heading down to Florida to meet with the renowned surgeon on Monday. At that point in time, Sale and Dr. Andrews will discuss options for treatment on his sore elbow.

"[Sale] just wants to make sure he has all the facts," Cora said of the visit, per Peter Abraham of The Boston Globe. "He wants to see where we’re at with it and all the opinions."

Sale, who is in the midst of a career-worst season that has seen him log a 6-11 record and 4.40 ERA. He was placed on the 10-day IL on Saturday with left elbow inflammation and the visit with Dr. Andrews has raised some concerns about the potential for Tommy John surgery. We'll know more about the situation after Sale's visit on Monday.

After losing Sale, Cora stated that the team has "got to keep going" without Sale in the rotation. They got off to a good start by beating the Baltimore Orioles in the past two contests, but the bigger test for them will be how they fare in the upcoming week against the Philadelphia Phillies and San Diego Padres.

TOMASE: Sale's injury start of potential Red Sox catastrophe>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.