Red Sox

MLB Rumors: Red Sox 'not overly impressed' with Edwin Diaz amid struggles

MLB Rumors: Red Sox 'not overly impressed' with Edwin Diaz amid struggles

The New York Mets reportedly want a substantial haul for Edwin Diaz if they deal him before Wedneday's MLB trade deadline.

But the All-Star closer isn't helping their cause.

Diaz blew his fifth save of the season Tuesday night on the eve of the deadline, allowing one run while walking two and hitting a batter. After coughing up runs in consecutive outings, his ERA now sits at 5.05.

And the Boston Red Sox, one of the teams reportedly interested in Diaz, is starting to wonder if the 25-year-old is worth the cost, according to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

Diaz had a stellar 2018 campaign with the Seattle Mariners, tallying an MLB-best 57 saves along with a 1.97 ERA. But he's been a disaster in New York this season, entering Wednesday with an ugly 1.463 WHIP and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 4.20, nearly half of his 2018 total.

Reports earlier this week suggested the Red Sox would have to part with top prospects Tristan Casas or Bobby Dalbec or even starting outfielder Andrew Benintendi to acquire Diaz, who's on a cheap contract with team control through 2022.

But it appears Boston is having second thoughts on whether it would even want Diaz in the first place.

It was reported Tuesday that president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski and his staff are targeting "lesser" bullpen names than Diaz for a cheaper price, so the Mets' volatile closer seems to be off their radar as 4 p.m. ET draws near.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Joe Kelly admits Mookie Betts' speech to Dodgers was 'cringey' at times

Joe Kelly admits Mookie Betts' speech to Dodgers was 'cringey' at times

You've probably heard about Mookie Betts' speech by now.

Shortly after the Boston Red Sox traded Betts to Los Angeles, the publicly soft-spoken outfielder stood up in the Dodgers' clubhouse and "essentially call(ed) everyone out," according to third baseman Justin Turner.

By all accounts, the content of Betts' speech was well-received. But Dodgers relief pitcher Joe Kelly -- who was teammates with Betts in Boston before joining L.A. in 2019 -- offered some interesting insight on his delivery.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

"Me and DP (David Price) were looking at each other like -- it was good," Kelly told WEEI's Rob Bradford on "The Bradfo Show" podcast. "It was meant to go the right way, honestly. He's not very -- I don't know how to put it. He speaks well, but then when he has to plan something and speak in front of people he wasn’t too comfortable with, I think he was getting ahead of himself.

"The meaning behind what he was saying was very I think spot on, but I think the way he was saying it was kind of tough."

Betts never was a vocal leader in Boston -- he didn't need to be with David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia in the clubhouse -- and Kelly suggested that showed in the 27-year-old's speech, which perhaps was a little blunt for some.

"It was very well accepted. If he would have said it a little bit nicer or articulated it a little bit better, it would have come off stronger," Kelly said.

"It was kind of, once in a while, cringey. But then we all knew that his meaning behind it was accurate."

Cringey in what way, you ask?

"Some people need to have their hand held the whole time and some people need the, 'eff you;' some people need the, 'You are so good, just believe in yourself' kind of statement," Kelly explained. "And Mookie went the direct path, the direct route in front of 40 people."

Kelly reiterated that Betts got his point across loud and clear: That the Dodgers are the most talented team in baseball and shouldn't squander that talent.

The former American League MVP still is finding his footing as a leader, though, and according to Kelly, that manifested itself on one of his first days as a Dodger.

Report: MLB doesn't want notes from Red Sox investigation used in court

Report: MLB doesn't want notes from Red Sox investigation used in court

As we await Major League Baseball's report on the Red Sox alleged sign-stealing from their 2018 championship season, MLB revealed in court documents that it does not want the notes from its interviews with Red Sox and Houston Astros personnel used in a current trial involving those allegations.

MLB investigator Bryan Seeley argued in a court filing this week that future investigations could be jeopardized if the league reveals details of those interviews, Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports. MLB is being sued by daily fantasy game contestants who argue that the Red Sox' and Astros' schemes corrupted the games.

A decision on the case is expected by April 15. MLB has already disciplined the Astros and it led to the firing of their manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow. The Red Sox parted ways with manager Alex Cora for what ownership said was his role in the Astros transgressions.  

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred gave Astros players who cooperated with MLB investigators immunity from his discipline. It's uncertain if the same holds true for Red Sox players. Manfred said last week a report on the Red Sox allegations - delayed by the coronavirus outbreak - would be released before the now-delayed baseball season begins.