Red Sox

Mookie Betts removed from Red Sox season ticket web page

Mookie Betts removed from Red Sox season ticket web page

Are the Red Sox sending a not-so-subtle hint about Mookie Betts' future in Boston to prospective season ticket holders?

When you visit the portion of the team website seeking new season-ticket buyers, the illustration on the web page shows Rafael Devers, Xander Bogaerts and Chris Sale.

Barstool Sports' Jared Carrabis pointed out earlier this week that Betts had been removed from the illustration. The Red Sox All-Star right fielder and 2018 AL MVP, the subject of much trade speculation as the team prepares to shed payroll this offseason, actually appeared on the page in mid-August. By last week, Eduardo Rodriguez had replaced him. The current graphic has Sale on the left.  

Just like the others pictured on the page, Betts isn't a free agent...yet. Bogaerts and Sale have signed long-term extensions and the Sox are reportedly ready to talk about an extension with Devers. Betts? He'll likely receive more than $30 million for the 2020 season in arbitration then command a long-term deal of $300 million or more when he tests the free-agent market after next season.

That kind of financial commitment due the soon-to-be-27-year-old (happy birthday on Monday, Mookie) - and Red Sox ownership's admission that their goal is to get under the $208 million luxury-tax threshold - has led many to believe that Betts will be traded this winter.

A report even emerged this week of what the Red Sox would be seeking in a Betts trade. 

Red Sox team chairman Tom Werner said last week the team remains hopeful of keeping Betts. Still, with his teammates assuming he'll be gone before next season begins, the Sox appear to be reluctant to promote a player to season-ticket holders who'll be in another uniform.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox' Eduardo Rodriguez, Bobby Dalbec test positive for COVID-19

Red Sox' Eduardo Rodriguez, Bobby Dalbec test positive for COVID-19

Two more Boston Red Sox players have contracted COVID-19, including their projected Opening Day starter.

Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez and third baseman Bobby Dalbec have tested positive for COVID-19, Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke confirmed Tuesday.

Rodriguez currently is home in Miami and hasn't joined the team after recently being around someone who was sick. The 27-year-old still is "not feeling 100 percent," per Roenicke, but is feeling "better" than he has in recent days and has told his manager he still wants to pitch on Opening Day.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

The Red Sox begin their shortened 2020 season July 24 against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park, and Rodriguez was set to start as Boston's de facto No. 1 starter with Chris Sale sidelined due to injury.

Dalbec also hasn't reported to Fenway Park for training camp and is asymptomatic, according to Roenicke.

The Red Sox now have had four players test positive for COVID-19, as pitchers Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor received positive tests last week.

Boston has been less impacted by the coronavirus than clubs like the Philadelphia Phillies and Toronto Blue Jays, who had to close their spring training facilities due to multiple positive tests. But the Red Sox haven't steered clear of the virus and will have to take precautions as Opening Day draws nearer.

Breaking down winners and losers of MLB's 60-game schedule for 2020

Breaking down winners and losers of MLB's 60-game schedule for 2020

How do you shorten each team's regular-season schedule by 102 games while maintaining parity?

The simple answer: You don't.

Major League Baseball unveiled its full 2020 regular season schedule Monday, in which teams will play 60 games total: 40 against division opponents and 20 against teams in the corresponding geographic division of the other league.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

This format obviously benefits clubs that play in weaker divisions while hurting teams that have to see more of their difficult opponents.

As you'll soon find out, for example, the Boston Red Sox will have their hands full playing three series apiece against the American League East rival New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in addition to facing several quality teams in the National League East.

So, who are the biggest winners and losers of MLB's unprecedented 60-game schedule? Let's dive in.

Click here for the gallery >>