Red Sox

Red Sox 2020 manager search: Bruce Bochy reportedly won't pursue opening

Red Sox 2020 manager search: Bruce Bochy reportedly won't pursue opening

Cross another name off the Boston Red Sox' list.

Former San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy won't pursue any open Major League Baseball manager jobs this offseason, The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal reported Thursday.

Bochy is one of the most successful managers in MLB history -- 11th all-time in manager wins -- who could have brought experience and stability to either the Red Sox or Houston Astros, who both lost their managers in the wake of MLB's sign-stealing scandal.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

The 64-year-old retired after the 2019 season, though, and it appears he's honoring that decision.

The Red Sox said Wednesday they will consider both internal and external candidates to replace Alex Cora, whom they parted ways with Tuesday.

Hiring an external candidate would be a challenge, though, considering Boston is competing with Houston on a short time frame.

To that end, the Astros interviewed Buck Showalter on Wednesday and were set to interview John Gibbons on Thursday, according to reports. Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quartaro also is unlikely to take the Red Sox job, per a report.

Chaim Bloom and the Red Sox still have some intriguing names to consider -- Brad Ausmus, Dusty Baker and ex-Red Sox Mike Lowell, to name a few -- and still could hire an in-house option.

Their candidate list is shrinking, though.

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

The Boston Red Sox made a decision that made a lot of fans unhappy in early February. The team decided to trade Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with David Price in exchange for a package of three prospects.

Betts, the MLB's MVP back in 2018, is one of the top five players in the league. He hit .295 with 29 homers last year as the Red Sox lead-off hitter, so parting with him obviously stings.

But could the Red Sox try to bring him back in free agency next offseason? It's possible, and it's something that Xander Bogaerts thinks the team could attempt to do.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

“Hey, you know... probably, maybe in a year,” Bogaerts said of potentially getting Betts back in 2021, per Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com. “We’ll see how that goes. He knows what he means to us and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

Of course, there's no guarantee that Betts will end up returning to Boston. He could opt to sign an extension with the Dodgers or he could simply sign with the team that offers him the most money. And given how far apart he and the Red Sox were in negotiations, Betts may simply be out of their preferred price range.

It's tough to prognosticate what will happen in a year. And Betts wasn't willing to give any context clues during his introductory press conference with the Dodgers.

But Bogaerts and the Sox will remain hopeful. And until then, Boston's shortstop had one message for his former teammate.

“Obviously, I wish him nothing but the best," Bogaerts said, per Cotillo. "One of the best teammates I’ve had. One of the best young players we had to wear the Red Sox uniform.

"He’s someone we’re going to miss a lot. It’s not easy to replace somebody like that on and off the field.”

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

With spring training now here for MLB clubs, the Boston Red Sox have one massive question hanging over their heads. What will be the result of the MLB's investigation into the team's alleged sign-stealing?

Well, on Sunday afternoon, the Sox got an update on when that may be coming thanks to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.

Manfred has stated that the investigation will likely be wrapped up within the next two weeks, according to Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

It will be interesting to see who the MLB is re-interviewing and what impact that will have on the investigation. But the fact that some developments have "slowed down" the MLB doesn't seem to be good news for the Red Sox.

The sooner the Sox know the results of the investigation, the sooner they can move on from it. And that will be important with the regular season drawing nearer and nearer.