Red Sox

Red Sox's Xander Bogaerts shrugs off All-Star voting snub

usatsi_12908115.jpg
File photo

Red Sox's Xander Bogaerts shrugs off All-Star voting snub

There's no reasonable explanation for Xander Bogaerts not being a finalist to start in this year's All-Star Game.

Bogaerts entered Saturday's game leading all American League shortstops in both home runs (14) and RBI (50). He's also second in OPS (.936), trailing only Twins phenom Jorge Polanco.

Unfortunately, those standout numbers weren't enough to garner attention from All-Star voters. Polanco, Gleyber Torres (Yankees) and Carlos Correa (Astros) each received more votes than Bogaerts and were named finalists.

Despite the nonsensical results, Bogaerts is taking the high road. He shrugged off the news of his snub following Friday night's win over the Blue Jays.

Bogaerts and Sox manager Alex Cora, saw the snub coming from a mile away. When it was revealed earlier this week the 26-year-old was sixth among AL shortstops in the voting, Bogaerts expressed his confusion while Cora emphasized his disappointment.

While Bogaerts unfortunately misses out on a chance to start in the midsummer classic, his teammates Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez were named finalists for their respective positions.

Third baseman Rafael Devers, who's also enjoying a standout 2019 campaign, is another notable snub on Boston's roster.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Lou Merloni eviscerates MLB, players for bickering over return plan

Lou Merloni eviscerates MLB, players for bickering over return plan

As the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLS prepare to resume play in the near future, Major League Baseball still can't get out of its own way.

MLB reportedly rejected the Players Association's proposal Wednesday for a 114-game season in 2020 and apparently doesn't plan to make a counter-offer.

The league and the players have refused to budge on the issues dividing them: Players don't want to take an additional pay cut after agreeing to prorated salaries in March, while the owners are wary of extending the season too long due to the coronavirus pandemic and want players to agree to further reduced salaries to mitigate lost revenue.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

That stalemate has cost MLB valuable time, however, as the league doesn't appear close to beginning its 2020 regular season as the calendar turns to June.

So, who's to blame here? Lou Merloni believes it's everyone involved.

The former Boston Red Sox infielder ripped into both the league and the union Wednesday night during an appearance on NBC Sports Boston.

"Both sides suck, OK? That's the bottom line," Merloni said. "The Players Association comes back and says, 'Not 82 (games), we want 114' when they know that's the non-starter. The owners don't want to sit there and play until November. They're worried about the pandemic; they've got to get the playoffs in. And then the owners come back and say we're not even going to counter?

"Jesus, we're like a month into this thing. Can you string this thing out (any longer)? How about go in one room together and try to figure this out in a day or two?"

Compounding MLB's issue is that the NBA is expected to announce a return-to-play plan Thursday that would resume the 2019-20 season in late July. The MLS and NHL also have made headwinds toward resuming their seasons this summer -- which means baseball is wasting a much-needed opportunity to showcase itself as the only active pro sports league.

"I mean, you're running out of time and you're only screwing yourself. Even if baseball does come back, people have already said, 'I've had enough of you.' It's been like a month, a year, and you guys talk and bitch about this thing publicly. I don't give a crap anymore. I've got hockey, basketball, football is around the corner, hell, soccer is around the corner. I'm good.

"They don't even realize it! It's like they're in this bubble and they don't even realize what's going on around them right now. Figure this thing out: 70 games, 65, prorated (salaries), start playing some baseball, because your ass better be first coming back. If not, people are going to be done."

There's reportedly some optimism that the players and the union will resolve their differences and put a return plan in place. But with nearly one-third of the season already lost, the clock is ticking.

Check out Merloni's full comments in the video player above.

Who are the best designated hitters in Red Sox history? Ranking the Top 5

Who are the best designated hitters in Red Sox history? Ranking the Top 5

There's only one choice for best designated hitter in Red Sox history, but just in case there's any doubt, we'll quote broadcaster Dave O'Brien with the signature call from his WEEI days: "DAVID ORTIZ! DAVID ORTIZ! DAVID ORTIZ!"

No sense in even pretending there's any suspense on this one.

What's fascinating about ranking the Red Sox DHs, however, is just how few of them have actually held down the position for any length of time over the years.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

Only nine players have made at least 200 appearances there with the Red Sox since the DH was introduced in 1973, and four of them — Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Rice, Dwight Evans, and Manny Ramirez — have already appeared elsewhere in our outfield rankings.

That leaves five men to fill out the list, and about the only difficult omission is slugger Jose Canseco, who made 184 appearances between 1995 and 1996.

Click here for the Top 5 DHs in Red Sox history.