Red Sox

Reports: Stanton headed to Yankees

Reports: Stanton headed to Yankees

Derek Jeter continues to hurt the Red Sox.

The Yankees legend - now CEO and part owner of the Miami Marlins - has swung a deal to send National League MVP Giancarlo Stanton to Boston's arch-rival, according to multiple reports.

Jon Heyman of FanRagSports.com and the MLB Network was first to report that the Marlins have agreed to a deal that would send Stanton to the Yankees, giving them a powerful middle of the lineup combination of the 28-year-old Stanton (N.L.-leading 59 homers last season), 25-year-old A.L. rookie of the year Aaron Judge (A.L.-leading 52 homers) and 25-year-old All-Star catcher Gary Sanchez (33 HRs). 

The trade is still pending Stanton’s approval, as he has a no-trade clause. Stanton in the past few days has vetoed deals with the Giants and Cardinals and told the Marlins he would only approve trades to the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros or Cubs.

Heyman reports that Stanton is en route to New York for a physical, so it sounds as if the top prize of the offseason approves of the deal.

Second baseman Starlin Castro is reportedly the only major leaguer going from New York to Miami in the deal. Miami also gets prospects Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers (cousin of Red Sox third baseman Rafael Devers) in the trade, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The Marlins will also send $30 million to the Yankees. There are 10 years and $295 million remaining on Stanton's contract. He can opt out after the 2020 season.

The Red Sox apparently were never really in the running for Stanton. Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski's search for a power bat will continue at the Winter Meetings, which begin Sunday in Orlando. 

 


 

Sources: Red Sox asking a lot for Blake Swihart

Sources: Red Sox asking a lot for Blake Swihart

The Red Sox are listening to trade offers for Blake Swihart. They are not willing to part with the benchwarmer for a small cost.

People familiar with some trade discussions described the Red Sox’ asking price as unreasonable for a player who isn’t playing and may be an odd man out when Dustin Pedroia returns in the near future.

“Hard to find a trade partner when you’re asking for some of teams' best prospects,” said a talent evaluator with one team that has talked to the Sox about Swihart.

MORE BOSTON SPORTS:

Swihart’s agent said last week that he has asked Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to trade Swihart, who likely will only get a look on this year’s Sox team if there’s an injury to one of Sandy Leon or Christian Vazquez, barring a change of heart.

In a head-scratching scenario overall, the Sox' strategy with Swihart may be to create a bidding war by designating him for assignment when Pedroia returns. At that point, teams can be assured he'll be traded imminently.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

 

Betts, Sale lead Red Sox over Rays as Adames debuts

screen_shot_2018-05-22_at_10.53.11_pm.png
AP Photo

Betts, Sale lead Red Sox over Rays as Adames debuts

Mookie Betts hit his major league-leading 16th homer, Chris Sale struck out nine in 7 2/3 innings and the Boston Red Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays 4-2 on Tuesday night.

Willy Adames made his big league debut and hit a solo home run off Sale in his second at-bat. The 22-year-old shortstop went 1 for 4 with three strikeouts. He was acquired from Detroit as part of a three-team trade that sent Rays ace - and current Sale teammate - David Price to the Tigers on July 31, 2014.

Sale (5-1) gave up four hits and walked two. He has allowed three runs or fewer in his first 11 starts, the longest stretch by a Boston pitcher to open a season since Pedro Martinez's 12 in 2001.

Joe Kelly finished the eighth, and Craig Kimbrel got into a bases-loaded jam before getting his 14th save in 16 chances when Mallex Smith grounded into a game-ending forceout on his 32nd pitch of the ninth. Jesus Sucre led off with a single, pinch-hitter Brad Miller doubled with two outs and Rob Refsynder walked.

Betts hit a go-ahead, three-run drive in the third off Jake Faria (3-3), who left two batters later because of a strained left oblique. Faria was replaced with a 1-2 count on Hanley Ramirez by Austin Pruitt, who gave up one run in 5 1/3 innings.

Two hitters following Faria's departure, Wilson Ramos was taken out due to a bruised left hand after Pruitt's 0-2 pitch to Xander Bogaerts bounced and struck the catcher.

Faria allowed three runs and three hits in 2 2/3 innings.

Daniel Robertson's sacrifice fly pulled Tampa Bay to 3-2 in the fifth, and Rafael Devers hit a solo homer in the sixth.

The announced attendance was 10,642, below the Rays' AL-low home average of 14,711. Miami is last in the majors at 10,603.

TRAINER'S ROOM

Red Sox: Asked whether 2B Dustin Pedroia (left knee surgery) could return Friday against Atlanta, manager Alex Cora said "it depends on how he reacts but he's getting close." Pedroia is on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket. ... RHP Hector Velazquez (lower back strain) could be back later this week.

Rays: RHP Nathan Eovaldi (right elbow surgery) could make his final rehab start Wednesday night for Triple-A Durham.

BETTS BALL

Betts has scored a major-league best 49 runs. He has 36 extra-base hits, including six over his last four games.

INFIELD SHORTAGE

Adames took the roster spot of 2B Joey Wendle, who is on paternity leave for the birth of his son. ... SS Adeiny Hechavarria (strained right hamstring) has not resumed on-field work.

UP NEXT

Price (4-4), coming off a complete game victory over Baltimore, goes against Rays RHP Chris Archer (3-3) on Wednesday night. "There will be a little bit of banter, but it's all friendly," Archer said.

---

More AP baseball:https://apnews.com/tag/MLBbaseball