Red Sox

Sources: Red Sox, J.D. Martinez still negotiating Monday

Sources: Red Sox, J.D. Martinez still negotiating Monday

FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox and J.D. Martinez remained in negotiation on Monday, sources said.

There was no indication a deal was nearing as of early Monday afternoon, but the sides continue to talk. The industry belief has long been that the Sox are Martinez's most logical landing spot, but a source said there are alternatives.

MORE RED SOX

The Red Sox braintrust was together Monday morning and midday at JetBlue Park, with both principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner on hand.

Werner in January confirmed the Sox were in active negotiations with Martinez. On Monday, he deferred questions to Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. 

“I think you should talk to Dave about that,” Werner said. “Obviously there’s no news, but I think you should ask Dave that question."

MORE ON NBCSPORTSBOSTON.COM

Werner and Henry both said they were bullish on the Sox if they do not sign Martinez. Werner was asked whether the Sox have an obligation to improve last year’s team with outside help. Right now, the team is virtually identical.

“We have an obligation to try to win the World Series every year,” Werner said. “Sometimes you go in one direction, sometimes you go in another direction. We’re not ceding first place to anybody. Obviously, we have to be better in the playoffs. As John said, we think our approach is better this year and we think we’re going to have if not the highest payroll in baseball, one of the two or three highest payrolls in baseball. We have a great general manager and a great team to figure out how to deploy it and we certainly feel like we’re moving forward.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

MLB Rumors: Rick Porcello, Mets agree to one-year contract worth $10M

MLB Rumors: Rick Porcello, Mets agree to one-year contract worth $10M

The Rick Porcello reunion is off the table.

The free-agent right-hander has agreed to a one-year contract with the New York Mets pending a physical, The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal and Eno Sarris reported Thursday.

The one-year deal is worth $10 million, per MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

The Red Sox were rumored to be interested in re-signing Porcello after his contract expired in 2019, but New York also was eyeing the 30-year-old veteran and appears to have gotten its man.

Porcello was a workhorse during his five seasons in Boston, starting 32 or more games in four of those campaigns. His brilliant 2016 season -- 22-4 with a 3.15 ERA -- earned him American League Cy Young Award honors.

The New Jersey native struggled to a 5.52 ERA last season, though, and with the Red Sox looking to cut payroll, it seemed unlikely they would open their checkbooks for a starter north of 30.

Porcello's departure leaves a hole in Boston's rotation behind Chris Sale, David Price, Eduardo Rodriguez and Nathan Eovaldi.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Chaim Bloom reacts to Gerrit Cole signing with Yankees

Chaim Bloom reacts to Gerrit Cole signing with Yankees

Chaim Bloom is well-aware of just how big of a move the Yankees made when they signed Gerrit Cole to a nine-year, $324 million contract on Tuesday. But the Red Sox chief baseball officer is staying patient.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday at the Winter Meetings in San Diego, Bloom addressed the Cole signing and noted the importance of the front office not being too reactionary in their approach to the offseason.

"Look, we want to beat the Yankees as badly as anybody, trust me,” Bloom said. “I think it’s just a question of us being able to step back and say, ‘What is the best approach for us to do that?’ The more we feel like we’re being reactive to other teams’ moves, I think the more we’re playing their game. We might be pushing ourselves further from that objective rather than helping ourselves.”

Bloom was the Tampa Bay Rays' senior vice president of baseball operations prior to joining the Red Sox, so he's no stranger to seeing both Boston and New York making noise in the offseason. His experience with a much lower payroll in Tampa helped him learn to not be distracted by the big splashes made by division rivals.

“Having had the good fortune of being in this division for a long time, I’m kind of used to seeing the Yankees, and the Red Sox for that matter, do things over the years,” Bloom said. “It didn’t change things that much in terms of how I reacted to that. I think it’s one of the great things about the challenges of being in, what has been over the course of time probably the toughest division maybe in all of pro sports. You expect the standards to be very high and you expect your rivals to be constantly looking to improve, constantly find ways.

"The approach from team to team might vary, but you expect them to constantly be doing things to make themselves better. It’s important to not get distracted by that. It’s important to focus on your own club and how you can accomplish your goals.”

The Red Sox have made it clear they're aiming to shed payroll ahead of the 2020 season, so don't expect any Cole-like deals for Boston any time soon. Instead, prepare for stars like David Price and/or Mookie Betts to be shipped out of town before Opening Day.

TOMASE: Bogaerts torn over 'little brother' Betts' uncertain future with Sox>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.