Red Sox

Tom Werner: Red Sox re-signing Craig Kimbrel 'extremely unlikely'

Tom Werner: Red Sox re-signing Craig Kimbrel 'extremely unlikely'

FORT MYERS, Fla. —Throughout the offseason, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski has all but ruled out re-signing free-agent closer Craig Kimbrel. He’s said on multiple occasions that there are no plans to make a large expenditure for a bullpen arm.

Tom Werner echoed Dombrowski’s sentiments on Monday. The Red Sox chairman was asked about the chances of re-signing Kimbrel, even to a one-year deal.

“I would say it’s extremely unlikely,” Werner said.

With Boston apparently out of the Kimbrel sweepstakes, that leaves the Braves, Phillies, Nationals, and Twins as potential suitors for the 2018 World Series champion.

Not only do the Red Sox believe their bullpen already is in good shape, but they’re also confident in the state of the entire roster heading into the new season. 

“It’s possible but I think we’re pretty well set,” Red Sox owner John Henry said when asked if the team will make any additions this spring. “We’re hoping some people that have had injuries will be back this year and fill some important spots.”

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox trade catcher Blake Swihart to Diamondbacks

usatsi_12466964_133468180_lowres.jpg
File photo

Red Sox trade catcher Blake Swihart to Diamondbacks

Blake Swihart has a new home.

The Red Sox traded the 27-year-old catcher to the Diamondbacks on Friday for minor league outfielder Marcus Wilson.

Swihart reunites with manager Torey Lovullo and GM Mike Hazen, both formerly members of the Red Sox organization, in Arizona. Hazen says Swihart will play positions other than catcher for the foreseeable future.

As for Wilson, he was ranked as the Dbacks' No. 20 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.

Boston had designated Swihart for assignment earlier this week and promoted Sandy Leon to take his spot on the roster.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Alex Cora reveals plans for using top prospect, Michael Chavis

Alex Cora reveals plans for using top prospect, Michael Chavis

So far this season, the Red Sox have sputtered to a 6-13 start and have already made some major changes to their roster. They designated Blake Swihart for assignment and have made a few other roster moves amid injuries to Dustin Pedroia, Eduardo Nunez, and Brock Holt, the team's three second basemen. And the latest move is an intriguing one.

Michael Chavis was brought up to the major leagues to help the struggling Red Sox offense. Chavis, one of the team's top hitting prospects, is on the major league roster for the first time, and they will try to use his bat to spark their struggling unit.

That said, Tzu-Wei Lin still figures to be the primary starter at second base moving forward, per Jason Mastrodonato of The Boston Herald.

Chavis isn't ready to play at second base despite the hole the Sox currently has there. He has only played five games at the position in the minors, so putting him there at the major-league level would be a major risk.

Cora said the right-handed hitting Chavis will get a chance to play both corner infield positions and may even get some at-bats at DH. Until the team solves its offensive woes, the Sox will have to continue to experiment with different combinations until they find something that works.

Rays reaping rewards of Derek Lowe/Jason Varitek type trade>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.