Red Sox

Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

red-sox-steven-wright-022017.jpg
File Photo

Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright will be suspended 15 games for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy, NBC Sports Boston has learned. The league is set to make the announcement Friday.

Wright, working his way back from right knee surgery, has to serve the suspension when healthy. Potential time on the disabled list to begin the season would not count. Wright is not expected to appeal.

Wright was arrested at his Tennessee home in December following an incident involving his wife, Shannon. Wright was charged with domestic assault and preventing a 911 call, which are misdemeanors in Tennessee, and released on a $2,500 bond.

The case in December was retired by the Williamson County courthouse. If Wright commits no other offenses for a 12-month span, the charges are expected to be dropped.

Fifteen games matches the lowest suspension MLB has given out in relation to a domestic violence case since the league and players union agreed to a policy in 2015. Mets pitcher Jeurys Familia was suspended 15 games in March 2017.

"It's a situation that, it sucks not only for me, but for my family, for the team," Wright told reporters in Florida on Thursday. "But I try not to think about it. When MLB comes out with their discipline, or if there's going to be discipline or not, it's just going to go from there."

Wright said this spring that he did not harm his wife.

“We’ve been going to counseling. We’ve been working through it,” Wright said. “We’ve been trying to do as much as we can to put it past us, but it’s hard. Because MLB is doing their investigation and it’s in the limelight. It’s really hard on a personal level to get past something that’s constantly being thrown at you. But I did it to myself. It’s one of those things that I’ve got to live with the consequences that came from my actions that night.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Ex-Red Sox slugger Mike Napoli joins Cubs coaching staff

Ex-Red Sox slugger Mike Napoli joins Cubs coaching staff

Yet another former member of the Boston Red Sox has joined the Chicago Cubs.

Former Sox slugger Mike Napoli has joined the Cubs as a quality assurance coach, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network.

Napoli joins fellow 2013 World Series champion David Ross on the Cubs staff. Ross replaced Joe Maddon as Chicago's manager last month.

Ex-Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has served as Cubs president of baseball operations for the last eight years. Former Sox pitching coach Dana LeVangie recently interviewed for the Cubs' bullpen coach job.

In three seasons as Boston's DH/first baseman, Napoli hit .242 with 53 home runs.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox, Alex Cora are 'fully cooperating' with MLB's sign-stealing investigation

Red Sox, Alex Cora are 'fully cooperating' with MLB's sign-stealing investigation

The Houston Astros' sign-stealing scheme was rather elboarate, and Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora reportedly played a major role in the operation.

Cora was Houston manager A.J. Hinch's right-hand man as the Astros' bench coach in 2017, winning the World Series with the organization. So, quite frankly, it's not surprising that Cora was involved in the matter. 

Major League Baseball now is investigating the Astros organization, as well as anyone involved with the team in 2017 -- A.K.A. Cora and current New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran. Cora was interviewed Wednesday, and the Red Sox are offering the MLB "full cooperation" in the ongoing investigation, according to Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald. 

According to our Red Sox Insider John Tomase, the Red Sox really only need to be concerned with the matter if Cora used some of those tactics to lead Boston to a World Series Championship in 2018, and throughout the duration of a rather upsetting 2019 season. 

It remains unknown if Cora will receive any disciplinary action from the league. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.