Revolution

Carles Gil making progress, but status for Revolution vs. Timbers is to be determined

Carles Gil making progress, but status for Revolution vs. Timbers is to be determined

The New England Revolution certainly have missed Carles Gil in their first two matches of the season.

Bruce Arena's squad absolutely could've used the team's leading scorer from last season in a 2-1 loss to the Montreal Impact and more recently a 1-1 draw against Chicago Fire FC in their home opener.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

The past is in the past, though, and Gil was a full participant in Tuesday's Revolution practice -- preparing for a tough matchup with the 1-1-0 Portland Timbers.

“I feel good. This is only the third practice that I’ve had with the team, but I feel good coming off the injury,” Gil said via interpreter, according to Jeff Lemieux of revolutionsoccer.net. “We’ll take it day by day, little by little, and see how everything goes when the game gets closer.”

Although he's feeling better, Gil's Week 3 match status remains up in the air -- a decision on whether or not he'll see game action will be made by Arena closer to Sunday.

“He was certainly a key player with our team last year, and we’ve missed not having him,” Arena said. “We missed him in preseason and up until today, so it’s great to have him back and hopefully he can keep making progress.”

Gil added that he can't stand being injured, and all he wants to do is help his team win games going forward. He know's its a big year for the organization, and he can't wait to get his legs moving on the pitch once again.

The 27-year-old's 10 goals and 14 assists last season helped the Revs make the playoffs for the first time since 2015. He's been a big reason why the club has found success over the past year, and he'll complement the likes of Gustavo Bou, Adam Buksa and Teal Bunbury on the attack.

If he does suit up, it'll be interesting to see if he's in the starting lineup, or if Arena will limit his minutes -- sending him in as a sub.

Don't miss NBC Sports Boston's coverage of Timbers vs. Revolution, which begins Sunday at 1:30 p.m. followed by Revolution Postgame Live. You can also stream the game on the NBC Sports app.

 

Taylor Twellman: MLS 'missing window of opportunity' amid lockout talks

Taylor Twellman: MLS 'missing window of opportunity' amid lockout talks

Major League Soccer is on the verge of a lockout.

If the league and the MLS Players Association can't come to terms on a deal concerning economic concessions for the 2020 season before 12 p.m. ET on Tuesday, ESPN's Herculez Gomez reports a lockout will be initiated. 

Former New England Revolution star Taylor Twellman joined 98.5 The Sports Hub's Felger & Mazz on Monday to discuss the current situation in MLS and why he believes the league is missing a golden opportunity to return to action.

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

"72 hours. Friday night, I got word that the players voted 'yes' and they were going to be the first league to kick off July 3. Literally, Sunday night at midnight my phone turns into 'the owners are thinking about locking out.'

"You are completely missing the window of opportunity. And I understand that it's not in the top three or four sports in this country, but it's on the precipice of being there with the younger generations. You are 100 percent missing the opportunity, and they can't get out of their own way.

"And by the way, in a global pandemic? If you're going to argue about future pay or play? You lose the paying customer. No one has time for that."

At a time in which fans are craving sports -- any sports, really -- now certainly would be the time for MLS to capitalize on the opportunity to gain new followers and grow the sport. Instead, as Twellman emphasizes, it looks like they may be heading in the opposite direction.

MLS play has been suspended since March 12 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Revolution president Brian Bilello releases statement on practice facilities reopening

Revolution president Brian Bilello releases statement on practice facilities reopening

On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced Boston sports teams can reopen practice facilities on June 6 with safety precautions.

"We've had positive conversations with our professional sports teams, the Celtics, the Bruins, the Patriots, the Red Sox and the Revolution," Baker said. "This (executive) order also will allow professional sports teams to begin practicing at their facilities in compliance with the health and safety rules the leagues are developing. Facilities are still closed to the public at this time.

"I know we still aren't at the point where we'll have our pro sports teams back playing anything yet, the leagues are obviously working hard to host games again. I think we all hope, that at some point, opening practice facilities will help make that happen a little sooner."

Get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App

Although there's still some work to be done before sports return to normalcy, it's a major step in the right direction.

Revolution president Brian Bilello released the following statement in response to Baker's announcement:

The governor’s announcement today is an important step towards our goal of returning to competitive play this season and we appreciate his office’s efforts to get our players back on the field. It means our players will have the opportunity to build their fitness in a controlled, safe environment under MLS protocols and the guidance of the team’s medical staff.

The Revs' state-of-the-art Training Center is located behind Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass.

New England only was able to play two games before the 2020 MLS season was suspended in mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, going 0-1-1.