The countdown to the New England Revolution's 25th season is underway, with their regular-season schedule getting released Thursday.
The club will open the season against Montreal Impact and first-year MLS head coach Thierry Henry on February 29 — the earliest day the league has started its regular season. Bruce Arena and his squad will return to Foxboro for their home opener on March 7 against Chicago.
With two new clubs joining the league, the Eastern and Western Conference alignment and schedule takes a different shape this year.
Inter Miami CF joins the East and Nashville SC competes in the West, as each conference will feature 13 clubs. The 34-game regular season with 17 home and away matches for each team will stay the same.
What's different this year is every squad plays 12 intra-conference opponents twice — home and away for a total of 24 matches. The other 10 matches come against teams from the opposite conference.
What this means for the Revs is they will not play against three Western Conference teams in the regular season. In 2020, those teams are FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
Here are some highlights from the 2020 slate:
- The Revolution get their first chance to face Toronto FC, the defending Eastern Conference champions, on April 29 in Canada.
- New England hosts MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC on June 17.
- The first-ever meeting with David Beckham's Inter Miami CF will take place on June 27 in Florida.
- The Revolution will have an opportunity to avenge their 2019 playoff loss against Atlanta United FC on July 8 at Gillette Stadium.
- The Revolution host Nashville SC in its inaugural season three days later on July 11.
- New England wraps up the regular season with Decision Day against Orlando City SC on October 4.
NBC Sports Boston will once again serve as the Revolution’s local broadcast partner. The 2020 season marks the 11th consecutive campaign that NBCSB will be the television home of the club.