2018 World Series

Dodgers president on Red Sox, Astros sign-stealing: 'I'd like to have answers'

Dodgers president on Red Sox, Astros sign-stealing: 'I'd like to have answers'

Los Angeles Dodgers team president Stan Kasten, in his first public comments on the sign-stealing scandal that has rocked baseball, lamented that he still has many unanswered questions after Major League Baseball's punishment of the Houston Astros. 

Kasten noted that the investigation isn't over, with MLB continuing to look into the Red Sox' alleged sign-stealing using video - a system that Alex Cora reportedly brought to Boston as manager after serving as Astros bench coach.

"This investigation isn't over," Kasten said, via Evan Drellich of The Athletic, who along with colleague Ken Rosenthal broke the stories detailing the Astros' and Red Sox' schemes.  "I’d like to have answers to many questions about what happened, by whom and when."

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

Kasten saw his Dodgers lose World Series in 2017 to Houston and 2018 to Boston, only to have those two championships called into question after MLB's report on the Astros' tactics led to the firing of manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow. Cora also parted ways with the Red Sox amid the controversy and Carlos Beltran, a player on the '17 Astros involved in the scheme, was fired just months after being named manager of the New York Mets.  

Houston was also fined $5 million and docked draft picks. The Red Sox could face similar penalties.

Here are Kasten's full comments, via Drellich:

Earlier this week, baseball commissioner Rob Manfred shot down suggestions that the World Series titles could be stripped from the Astros and Red Sox, a request made by, among others, the L.A. City Council. 

Speaking specifically about losing to the Astros in the 2017 Series, Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner, at the team's Fan Fest on Saturday, questioned the legitimacy of Houston's title.  

"We know how hard it is to win a World Series," Turner said. "We know that it's something you really have to earn, and with the commissioner's report and the evidence and what they had, it's hard to feel like they earned it and they earned the right to be called champions."

MLB Rumors: Here's where investigation into 2018 Red Sox stands

MLB Rumors: Here's where investigation into 2018 Red Sox stands

Boston Red Sox fans may have to reserve judgment for quite some time.

Major League Baseball may take "a while" to determine punishment for the Red Sox as it continues to investigate the 2018 team, The Athletic's Peter Gammons reported Friday morning.

Gammons added the league hasn't even interviewed former Red Sox manager Alex Cora, whom the club parted ways with Tuesday.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

MLB is investigating the Red Sox for allegedly using a video replay room to illegally relay signs to hitters during the 2018 regular season.

The league announced the investigation back on Jan. 7, but seemingly prioritized its discipline of the 2017 Houston Astros, who were severely punished Monday for their own illegal sign-stealing operation.

This timeline obviously puts the manager-less Red Sox in a tough spot. Boston has several intriguing internal candidates who could replace Cora, but may want to wait until MLB completes its investigation in case any of those candidates are punished.

If the Red Sox pursue an external candidate, they'll have to compete with the Astros and New York Mets on a ticking clock, as pitchers and catchers report to spring training in less than a month.

According to reports, widespread punishments could be a possibility. Cora is expected to be suspended at least one year for his role in both Houston and Boston's sign-stealing operations, while Gary Tanguay reported Thursday on NBC Sports Boston's Early Edition that Red Sox principal owner John Henry fears the franchise may be stripped of its 2018 World Series title.

The Red Sox will remain in a holding pattern until MLB sorts this out ... and may have to scramble to deal with the fallout.

L.A. City Council to vote on resolution asking MLB to strip Red Sox, Astros of titles

L.A. City Council to vote on resolution asking MLB to strip Red Sox, Astros of titles

The Los Angeles City Council will vote on a resolution Friday requesting that baseball commissioner Rob Manfred strip the Boston Red Sox of the 2018 World Series title and the Houston Astros of their 2017 Series title and award both to the team that lost those Fall Classics, the L.A. Dodgers.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

Council members Gil Cedillo and Paul Koretz put forth the resolution on Wednesday in the wake of the sign-stealing scandal that led to Red Sox manager Alex Cora losing his job and Astros manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow being fired.

Cora, who was the Astros' bench coach in 2017, was at the center of the MLB report detailing the Astros sign-stealing scheme. MLB is continuing to investigate the Red Sox, managed by Cora, for employing a similar system in 2018.

The Red Sox beat the Dodgers four games to one in 2018, the year after the Astros went seven games to defeat the Dodgers. 

The resolution asks that "the Commissioner of Major League Baseball remove the 2017 and 2018 World Series titles from the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox; and hereby requests that the Commissioner of Major League Baseball recall the World Series Commissioner’s Trophies and award them to the Los Angeles Dodgers.”

“This is an equity and justice thing,” Cedillo told the Los Angeles Times. “Who was the best team in 2017? Who was the best team in 2018? It was the Dodgers."