Anton Khudobin

Bruins 'probably going in a different direction' from Khudobin

Bruins 'probably going in a different direction' from Khudobin

BRIGHTON, Mass. – It looks like the Bruins will have a different backup goaltender next season.

While Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with most of last season’s Bruins headed to free agency on July 1, he indicated that the team is “probably going in a different direction” from backup goalie Anton Khudobin.

“I think we’ll be filling some holes,” said Sweeney. “We’ve stayed in contact [with our free agents], but I think the goaltending one is probably going in a different direction at this point.”

Khudobin, 32, had his best season in the NHL for the Bruins last season while backing up Tuukka Rask, going 16-6-7 in 31 appearances with a 2.56 goals-against average and .913 save percentage. He played early and often while spelling Rask, including four games in a row in mid-November where he racked wins and helped point the Bruins toward a playoff spot they easily claimed last season.

It’s believed that the Bruins were ready to give Khudobin a raise from the $1.25 million he earned in each of the past two seasons, but that the Russian netminder is looking for a substantial raise. From Boston’s perspective, they certainly weren’t going to go much north of $2 million per season for a backup goaltender and there were questions about Khudobin’s ability to remain in tip-top shape if given a multi-year deal.

Instead, the Bruins now have a big void and probably don’t have the internal answers with Zane McIntyre as the only goalie even capable of being an NHL backup at this point. Instead, the Bruins will need a legit backup who can play 25-30 games and give Rask the ample physical and mental rest that he needs to stay fresh.

Sweeney knows it’s a key position as the Bruins ready to hit the free agent market this weekend and he’d prefer a veteran option with some backup experience.

“It ranks right at the top of the list in terms of somebody that can...Last year Anton did a heck of a job,” admitted Sweeney, when asked how important NHL experience will be in a backup goaltender for next season. “We need to make sure we’re satisfied there because it’s a priority for us."

So who might be out there as options for the Black and Gold?

The real high-end backups, such as Carter Hutton and Petr Mrazek, aren’t going to head to Boston where there’s an established No. 1 goalie in Rask. But there are some familiar names with NHL experience potentially available, such as Chad Johnson and Michael Hutchinson, or even Jonathan Bernier that could be a good fit.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE


 

Bruins beginning to make alternate plans amid slow free-agent talks

Bruins beginning to make alternate plans amid slow free-agent talks

DALLAS – It looks as if the Bruins are starting to resign themselves to letting their remaining free agents head to the market on July 1. Don Sweeney said at NHL draft weekend in Dallas that the Bruins haven’t really made any progress signing pending UFAs Anton Khudobin, Riley Nash and Rick Nash, and they may have to begin formulating other plans in case agreements doesn’t come to fruition.

“I’ve talked to all of them, and it seems to be inching rather than moving in the direction I’d like it to,” said Sweeney of his looming free agents. “Just because we’ve gotten closer to the deadline doesn’t mean we’ve closed the door on any of them, but [July 1] does get closer. As much as they might think it does [get closer], we also have to begin to think and prepare otherwise.”

Clearly, the fate of 33-year-old Rick Nash was tied up in the Bruins' pursuit of Russian free agent Ilya Kovalchuk, who signed with the LA Kings on Saturday. It may be that Nash is ready to dip into free agency with the Bruins clearly viewing him as a secondary option for a second-line winger. Riley Nash and Khudobin were both players that the Bruins had interest in retaining after banner years, but free agency also comes at a time for them where they may be able to maximize their value on the open market.

With the third-line center position, the Bruins actually have some pretty good youthful options - former draft picks Trent Frederic and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson are getting really close to NHL readiness. Things may be a little more treacherous at goaltender as there is a real question as to whether B’s prospect Zane McIntyre is ready to be an NHL backup behind Tuukka Rask. Instead, the Bruins may need to dip into the free-agent pool to bring in a veteran backup capable of playing the 20-25 games that Rask needs out of his understudy.

The good news for the Bruins is that goaltender Chad Johnson, with past Bruins experience, and others like him are expected to hit the free-agent market, where they could be a good fit.

It’s doubtful trade-deadline acquisitions Tommy Wingels and Nick Holden are going to end up back in the fold with Boston, but the door won’t officially be closed until the market opens July 1. With $12 million in cap space, the Bruins clearly will have some money to spend on needs at third-line center, second-line wing or backup goaltender.    

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

A look at Bruins in free agency: Anton Khudobin

A look at Bruins in free agency: Anton Khudobin

It was a bit eyebrow-raising when Bruins team president Cam Neely last week mentioned backup goaltending as a priority for the Bruins on their offseason shopping list. The assumption was that the Bruins would find common ground with looming free agent Anton Khudobin after a stellar season in which he played 31 games as Tuukka Rask’s understudy.

The ability to play well and play relatively often is a mandatory one with the Bruins as the formula for team success includes a plan that gives their No. 1 in Rask ample physical and mental rest in the regular season.

A return for Khudobin, 32, is still the most likely scenario for the Bruins when all things are considered given that he posted a 2.56 goals-against average and .913 save percentage as the perfect backup to Rask, and given that he wants to stick around in Boston.

“I want to be here. I like [it] here. I’ve been in California, I’ve been in Texas, I’ve been in Carolina, I’ve been in Minnesota. I’ve been in a lot of cities and a lot of states, and Boston is my favorite one,” said Khudobin, with the trademark twinkle in his eye as he discussed a city he returned to two years ago after his first stint with the Bruins. “That’s clearly [the truth], and it’s not because I want to give it a shot, or try to say I’m so nice I’m going to just sign here. This is my favorite city. That’s the way it is. It doesn’t matter if I’m going to sign here, or if I’m going to go away, or if I’m going to sign here. Boston is still going to be my favorite city.

“Don [Sweeney] knows that I love it here. I love the city and everybody knows it. How much is it going to be a factor in signing a new contract, I don’t know? I don’t think it will be a factor. I don’t think it matters. It matters what they can offer and how much I’m willing to take. For me personally, I would love to stay here. I’m 32 right now, and if I’m going to play until 40 I would love to play another eight years here. That’s clear for me. If we will get a deal, today, or tomorrow, or in free agency, I don’t know. But if it will happen in Boston, I will be happy.”

So, the good news is that the B’s and Khudobin are halfway there with the player clearly in love with the city and the team and has already proven he can provide the support Rask clearly needs. Still, it’s also a safe bet that, coming off a strong season, Khudobin is going to want a bit of a raise from the two-year, $2.4 million contract he signed a couple of years ago. Perhaps his season was even good enough to entice a goalie-challenged NHL team into giving him another go-round as a possible No. 1 candidate after mixed reviews in his one and only shot with the Carolina Hurricanes.

The uncertainty of Khudobin as a possible free agent come July 1 and the poor conditioning that factored into an at-times bad opening season in Boston might just be giving the Bruins pause about bringing him back on a multi-year deal. That seems to be bearing out in some of the B’s organizational comments about the backup goaltending headed into the offseason.

“I thought [Khudobin] had a great year for us. He really stepped in when Tuukka was struggling a little bit and gave us an opportunity to win hockey games,” said Neely. “If he we didn’t have that, we certainly have had the year that we did. He’s well-liked in the locker room and starting last year with those two big games against Chicago and the Islanders before he followed it up with a great start this year.

“Obviously it has to make sense for us. When somebody has a really good year headed into UFA they want to see what’s out there, so you can’t blame them for that.”

Certainly, the Bruins could, and should, be willing to go into the two-year, $3-3.5 million range for Khudobin given the stability he helped bring to the goaltending situation. That would be a fair league rate for a backup goalie. The problem for the Bruins is that they don’t have any ready-made alternatives within the organization. Zane McIntyre had a very mixed AHL season with the Providence Bruins and Malcolm Subban was lost to the Vegas Golden Knights via waivers at the beginning of this past season.

“Zane had pushed the previous year. He had an up-and-down year this year. Had some real good pockets of games where he was excellent, and other games where some of the situations, he didn’t necessarily rise up to. He’s in the [backup goalie] mix, certainly, to push for our group. We’re exploring bringing Anton back and see if that might work,” said Sweeney. “If not, we may have to go to an alternative. Daniel Vladar was around, played a lot more games this year. He will be in Providence next year as part of the development process for him.

“[Kyle] Keyser came in at the end of the year, as well, had a good year. He’s part of it. Jeremy Swayman also had a very good year in Maine and took over the starting role there. We feel like we’re starting to make sure we address it appropriately, and hopefully one of these guys emerges as the next number one for the Boston Bruins. It’s an area we have to make sure that we’re spot on. We’ll be looking at [McIntyre] again this summer, and it starts with where our talks with Anton go.”

So let’s be honest about the names mentioned above. The 20-year-old Vladar has played 12 games in the AHL the past two seasons and Swayman is in the middle of his collegiate career with the Black Bears. Keyser was last spotted being taken to the hospital via ambulance after getting hit in the neck with a puck at a Bruins playoff practice. He was expected to be fine afterward, but it’s clear he’s also not ready to be an NHL backup straight out of junior hockey.

So, McIntyre is the only candidate with any qualifications to be an NHL backup next season and his 3.97 GAA and .858 save percentage in eight NHL appearances should give the Bruins a whole lot of pause given the importance of the position. Certainly, there will be some backup goalie candidates in free agency that have experience with the Bruins organization whether it’s Chad Johnson, Michael Hutchinson or Jeremy Smith, or Antti Niemi, Kari Lehtonen or Jaroslav Halak that might be ready to transition fully into an aging, oft-used backup at a discount in Boston.

The good news is that the Bruins should have a lot of different backup goalie options to choose from if that’s the plan come July 1, but the better news would be if both Khudobin and the B’s come to a sensible agreement to keep Rask and Khudobin intact as a tandem. After all, they finished last season fourth in the NHL in GAA (2.57), tied for ninth in save percentage (.912), and gave the Black and Gold a chance to win just about every night.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE