Tom Werner

Red Sox chairman Werner denounces Roseanne, backs ABC

boston-red-sox-tom-werner-81414.jpg
File photo

Red Sox chairman Werner denounces Roseanne, backs ABC

Red Sox chairman Tom Werner, the executive producer of the original "Roseanne" and the reboot of the show that was canceled by ABC after the uproar over a racist tweet by series star Roseanne Barr, released a statement supporting the network's decision.

The statement:

“I support ABC's decision to cancel the show in the wake of Roseanne Barr's most recent reprehensible tweets. Our goal was to promote constructive discussion about the issues that divide us. It represented the work of hundreds of talented people. I hope the good work done is not totally eclipsed by these abhorrent and offensive comments, and that Roseanne seeks the help she so clearly needs.”

In a since deleted-tweet, Barr compared Valerie Jarrett, an African-American who is a former advisor to President Barack Obama, to an ape: “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” Barr said in a now-deleted tweet. 

Barr apologized Tuesday for the tweet and said she deleted her Twitter account. It was reactivated later Tuesday and she later tweeted that the medication Ambien may have been a factor in her behavior: "guys I did something unforgiveable so do not defend me. It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting -- it was memorial day too -- i went 2 far & do not want it defended -- it was egregious Indefensible. I made a mistake I wish I hadn't but...don't defend it please."

Werner had a successful career as a producer of such television shows as "Roseanne", "The Cosby Show" and "That 70s Show" before joining the ownership group that bought the Red Sox in 2002. 

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Werner: Red Sox feel pressure to keep up with Yankees, Astros

boston-red-sox-tom-werner-81414.jpg

Werner: Red Sox feel pressure to keep up with Yankees, Astros

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski may not be looking closely at the Yankees' and Astros' rosters, but chairman Tom Werner appears to have peeked.

MORE RED SOX

 

“Sure there’s pressure,” Werner said at Winter Weekend when asked about the Yankees’ pick-up of Giancarlo Stanton and the Astros’ addition of Gerrit Cole.  “Houston was formidable last year. I thought we played them competitively in Fenway Park. They’ve obviously improved. But if we have the kind of performances I expect from some of our players this year — obviously we’re looking for some more improvement from certain players. Hopefully, a healthy David Price will be very important to that. 

"I think we have an excellent team, but anything can happen in a short series. The Yankees have improved, there’s no question about it. They have a deep bullpen and a great offense. But I like our chances.”

At the Boston baseball writers awards dinner on Thursday, Sox president Sam Kennedy cracked a joke about Dombrowski presenting Yankees general manager Brian Cashman with an Apple Watch as a gift. The rivalry perked up in 2017.

“I’m sure that when Judge and Stanton come to Fenway Park this year, it’ll be electric,” Werner said.

It’s not exactly an offseason punch-for-punch dynamic with the Sox and Yankees, though, as it was circa 2003-04.

“Not specifically,” Werner said of countering Stanton. “It’s important for us to be competitive with them, but we’re not trying to play chess with them.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

David Ortiz on slow offseason: 'Who the hell is going to play?'

red_sox_david_ortiz_042816.jpg

David Ortiz on slow offseason: 'Who the hell is going to play?'

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. — Red Sox Winter Weekend began Friday night with most current players lining up on a stage at Foxwoods, ahead of a town hall discussion with fans.

Something was obviously missing: a marquis addition, or any addition at all, really, aside from new manager Alex Cora.

MORE - Return to health may mean return to form for Bradley

Before the town hall began, chairman Tom Werner offered the media something that sounded like assurance the assembly of players Friday will be supplemented come Opening Day.

“We’re going to make some more moves this offseason,” Werner said. “So, again, I’m not worried so much about where we are on January 17 as where we are on April 1.”

Werner even dangled a carrot of specificity.

“We are in active negotiations with J.D. Martinez,” Werner said. “People know about that. It takes two to make a deal. I can only speak for the Red Sox, we’re going to have — we will most definitely have the highest payroll that we’ve ever had and you know other teams have to make their own decisions but we expect to be competitive and we expect to improve from our team last year.”

Asked if there was momentum with Martinez, Werner went no further.

“I don’t want to get too into the free-agent discussions,” Werner said. “We’re hopeful to make a deal, but as I’ve said, it takes two people to make that deal.”

Later, it took only a couple questions from fans for Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski to be asked where the 2018 Sox would get their power from. Other fans had similar questions about the pace of the offseason and the competition’s improvements.

“The players want more money than the clubs have been willing to offer,” Dombrowski said. “If you want to play, it’s going to change, and I think it’s going to change very quickly.”

As Dombrowski said at a different point in the night: “the ice is going to melt, and it is going to move very fast.”

David Ortiz, speaking to the media alongside Pedro Martinez, has been a busy man in retirement. But he’s noticed the crawl of free agency.

"I'm just wondering, who the hell is going to play this season?” Ortiz said. “Because nobody has signed yet. I'm wondering, what's going on? It's pretty much everybody. I have tons of guys, a friend of mine [who I asked], did you sign yet? Nope. It's almost spring training, bro. What's the deal?' That’s a question you guys should ask the owners.”

Gathered media indeed asked Werner about the pace of free agency.

“I can only speak for the Red Sox,” Werner said. “We’re going to have — we will most definitely have the highest payroll that we’ve ever had, and you know other teams have to make their own decisions, but we expect to be competitive and we expect to improve from our team last year.”

Martinez and Ortiz stopped short of saying the Sox had to add a bat, but they were naturally supportive of an addition like Martinez.

“You always need a bat like that,” Ortiz said. “A bat like that is never a waste.”

Martinez suggested Ortiz would need to come back if Martinez. 

“I was just talking to David, if we don't happen to get one of those big bats, I'm going to get you some lighter bats,” Martinez said. “And I don't know who's going to make those shoes [to keep you healthy], but we've got to make those shoes.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE