Big Ten

Buckeyes hold off Penn State to set up meeting with Spartans


Buckeyes hold off Penn State to set up meeting with Spartans

INDIANAPOLIS — Penn State tried to stage another Big Ten Tournament insurgency following two unexpected wins a season ago. But Ohio State, potentially fighting for its NCAA tournament life, got the win it needed to set up a game it needs to win.

The Nittany Lions led by double digits in the first half, but the Buckeyes roared back then roared ahead and then fended off a late roar in order to hold on for a 79-75 win.

The win sent Ohio State to a Friday showdown with Michigan State on Day 3 of the Big Ten Tournament.

The teams played close throughout the early stages of the first half, but it was Penn State that took the first sizable lead, breaking away from a three-point deficit around the 10-minute mark with a 10-0 run featuring 3-pointers from Donovon Jack and Brandon Taylor. After Ohio State stopped the run, Shep Garner knocked down another 3, and not long after that, back-to-back triples from Garner and Jack gave the Lions a 10-point lead. Altogether it was a 20-7 surge by Penn State that built the double-digit lead with four minutes before halftime. But in those four minutes, the Buckeyes shot back, Marc Loving hitting four straight free throws and then a 3 after a JaQuan Lyle bucket to bring Ohio State within a point, and it was just a three-point halftime edge for Penn State.

Garner and Taylor each scored 12 in the first 20 minutes, the Lions shooting 51.9 percent from the field in the half. Loving had 13 in the first half for the Buckeyes.

After whittling the Penn State lead down to nearly nothing before the break, Ohio State exploded out of halftime, using a 14-0 run to fly out to a nine-point advantage. Loving hit a pair of triples on the run, and Keita Bates-Diop added one, too, with the Lions going about four minutes without a made basket during the Buckeyes' surge. The lead fluctuated between three and nine for the majority of the half, sitting at seven with eight minutes to play. Penn State outscored Ohio State, 8-2, over the ensuing three minutes to get the lead down to just one. With five minutes left, Kam Williams and Payton Banks traded 3-pointers, and a pair of Garner free throws gave the Lions their first lead since the early stages of the half. But Loving hit three consecutive free throws before Lyle scored back-to-back buckets, all in all a 7-0 jolt for the Buckeyes, who hung on from there for the victory.

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Buckeyes gear right here]

Ohio State had a big second half, shooting 54.2 percent from the field. The Buckeyes won the rebounding battle, 41-33, and had a staggering 39 free-throw attempts, making 26 of them.

Penn State had a big edge in bench points, 23-5, and knocked down nine 3-pointers, nearly double Ohio State's five makes from deep.

Loving and Lyle dominated, scoring 24 and 22 points, respectively. Loving made three 3s and went 13-for-15 from the free-throw line. Bates-Diop finished with 14 points, and Trevor Thompson scored 10.

Garner had 25 points to lead all scorers, with Jack adding 18 points and Taylor scoring 14.

Ohio State could still conceivably reach the field of 68 with a strong showing here in Indy. That was made possible by Thursday's win, but everything hinges on Friday's game against Michigan State, which will be the third meeting between those two teams in 17 days after the Spartans won the first two meetings by double figures. Thursday's win was the Buckeyes' 20th of the season.

Penn State's season is likely over, though it was not one to simply shrug off as the Lions won the most games in a single season they have since Patrick Chambers took over the program.

Northwestern running back Jeremy Larkin diagnosed with cervical stenosis, will retire immediately


Northwestern running back Jeremy Larkin diagnosed with cervical stenosis, will retire immediately

Tough news out of Evanston this morning: Northwestern announced that running back Jeremy Larkin will retire immediately after being diagnosed with cervical stenosis.

Cervical stenois is the narrowing of the spinal canal in one's neck, according to Mayo Clinic. Larkin's condition is thankfully not life-threatening, though it does prevent him from continuing to participate in the game of football. 

"Football has been a lifelong passion and it has been a process to reconcile the fact I won't be on that field again, given I've played this game since I was five years old," Larkin said.

"I'm extremely appreciative of the Northwestern sports medicine and athletic training staffs for uncovering this condition, and for my coaches and the medical staff for always putting my health first.

"I came to this University to engage at the absolute highest level on the field and in the classroom, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to continue one of those while supporting my teammates from the sideline." 

Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald called the news "heartbreaking."

"This is heartbreaking because I see every day how much Jeremy loves the game, loves his teammates, and loves to compete," Fitzgerald said in a statement. "But this is the absolute best possible outcome for him.

"The discovery of this condition allowed Jeremy and his family to make an informed decision for his long-term health and well-being. For those of us who have known Jeremy Larkin since his high school days, his future is exceptionally bright. I can't wait to see the impact he makes in our world."

Larkin is a sophomore from Cincinnati. He finishes his Northwestern career with 156 carries for 849 yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.

Former Illini champion Kevin Anderson upsets Roger Federer in Wimbledon quarterfinal


Former Illini champion Kevin Anderson upsets Roger Federer in Wimbledon quarterfinal

Former University of Illinois tennis star Kevin Anderson completed a marathon upset against an all-time great on the highest stage of professional tennis.

Anderson came back from two sets down to beat Roger Federer in Wimbledon’s quarterfinals 2-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 13-11 on Wednesday morning. He will play in the semifinals of the tournament for the first time in his career.

As a native of South Africa, Anderson played three seasons with the Fighting Illini and won the NCAA doubles championship during the 2005-06 season as a sophomore. The 32-year-old was a three-time All-American in singles at Illinois.

Now, as the eighth ranked singles player on the ATP World Tour, Anderson is a force to be reckoned with at the professional level. He made it all the way to the US Open final in 2017.

The former Illini star will look to keep his recent success going when he represents Illinois in the semifinals of Wimbledon this Friday.