Big Ten

Terps come back to beat Georgetown in thriller


Terps come back to beat Georgetown in thriller

Well, the "rivalry renewed" between Maryland and Georgetown certainly lived up to the hype.

After playing an annual rivalry game for nearly 30 years in the middle of the 20th century, the Terps and Hoyas met for just the fourth time since the 1979-80 season on Tuesday night, and it was a game to remember, one that required a comeback for the No. 3 team in the country to win. But Maryland used terrific second-half performances by Melo Trimble and Jake Layman to pull out a thriller in College Park, 75-71.

The Terps trailed or were tied much of the evening and trailed by as many as seven in the second half. But Trimble capped a 7-0 run with a 3-pointer to tie the game at 61 with four minutes to play. After a made basket by Georgetown, Jared Nickens re-tied the game with a basket, and Layman hit a go-ahead 3 to put the Terps in front, 66-63.

[SHOP BIG TEN: Get your Terps gear right here]

D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera — who hit four triples on the evening — immediately answered with a 3 of his own, and a Robert Carter go-ahead jumper was answered by two Georgetown free throws. But Rasheed Sulaimon knocked down a 3-pointer to give Maryland a 71-68 lead with a minute and a half to play, a shot that proved to be the game-winner as Trimble hit four free throws in the closing moments to preserve the lead and the win.

Trimble led all scorers with 24 points, 13 of those coming from the free-throw line, where he's so good at doing damage. Layman had 15 points, all in the second half, with Carter scoring 12 points and grabbing eight rebounds and Sulaimon scoring 10 points and handing out seven assists.

The contest was part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games, an event in its inaugural year pitting Big Ten teams against teams from the Big East.

If Tuesday night was any indication, this old-school rivalry should be reborn as an annual matchup moving forward.

Northwestern running back Jeremy Larkin diagnosed with cervical stenosis, will retire immediately


Northwestern running back Jeremy Larkin diagnosed with cervical stenosis, will retire immediately

Tough news out of Evanston this morning: Northwestern announced that running back Jeremy Larkin will retire immediately after being diagnosed with cervical stenosis.

Cervical stenois is the narrowing of the spinal canal in one's neck, according to Mayo Clinic. Larkin's condition is thankfully not life-threatening, though it does prevent him from continuing to participate in the game of football. 

"Football has been a lifelong passion and it has been a process to reconcile the fact I won't be on that field again, given I've played this game since I was five years old," Larkin said.

"I'm extremely appreciative of the Northwestern sports medicine and athletic training staffs for uncovering this condition, and for my coaches and the medical staff for always putting my health first.

"I came to this University to engage at the absolute highest level on the field and in the classroom, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to continue one of those while supporting my teammates from the sideline." 

Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald called the news "heartbreaking."

"This is heartbreaking because I see every day how much Jeremy loves the game, loves his teammates, and loves to compete," Fitzgerald said in a statement. "But this is the absolute best possible outcome for him.

"The discovery of this condition allowed Jeremy and his family to make an informed decision for his long-term health and well-being. For those of us who have known Jeremy Larkin since his high school days, his future is exceptionally bright. I can't wait to see the impact he makes in our world."

Larkin is a sophomore from Cincinnati. He finishes his Northwestern career with 156 carries for 849 yards and 10 rushing touchdowns.

Former Illini champion Kevin Anderson upsets Roger Federer in Wimbledon quarterfinal


Former Illini champion Kevin Anderson upsets Roger Federer in Wimbledon quarterfinal

Former University of Illinois tennis star Kevin Anderson completed a marathon upset against an all-time great on the highest stage of professional tennis.

Anderson came back from two sets down to beat Roger Federer in Wimbledon’s quarterfinals 2-6, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 13-11 on Wednesday morning. He will play in the semifinals of the tournament for the first time in his career.

As a native of South Africa, Anderson played three seasons with the Fighting Illini and won the NCAA doubles championship during the 2005-06 season as a sophomore. The 32-year-old was a three-time All-American in singles at Illinois.

Now, as the eighth ranked singles player on the ATP World Tour, Anderson is a force to be reckoned with at the professional level. He made it all the way to the US Open final in 2017.

The former Illini star will look to keep his recent success going when he represents Illinois in the semifinals of Wimbledon this Friday.