Bulls

Report: Jamal Crawford signs with Brooklyn Nets ahead of NBA bubble

Report: Jamal Crawford signs with Brooklyn Nets ahead of NBA bubble

How much help does Caris LeVert need?

Jamal Crawford — automatic bucket, all-time cheat code and pantheon-level problem — has reportedly agreed to a contract with the Brooklyn Nets ahead of the NBA's restart in Orlando. The Athletic's Shams Charania had the scoop:


Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Bulls news and analysis.

Since the news of the season resumption broke, the Nets have had Deandre Jordan, Spencer Dinwiddie, Taurean Prince and Wilson Chandler opt out for various reasons. Those decisions, in addition to existing injuries to Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant and Nic Claxton, will leave the East's current No. 7 severely understaffed in Orlando, but Crawford should add a layer of entertainment to their eight seeding games and possible postseason run.

Crawford, after all, famously scored 51 points in his last NBA while with the Phoenix Suns on April 10, 2019. With the performance, he became the oldest player in NBA history to score 50+ in a game (39 years, 20 days), just edging out Michael Jordan (38 years, 315 days). 

He also became the first NBA player to score 50 with four different teams. His first burger came as a member of the Bulls, with whom he spent the first four seasons of his career, on April 11, 2004. Across 19 NBA seasons, Crawford has scored 19,414 points and won three Sixth Man of the Year awards.

"It was disappointing, it was shocking," Crawford said of not being signed for the 2019-20 season when he joined the Bulls Talk Podcast back in April. "My character is solid, I won teammate of the year two years ago. Besides the 50-point game, I had my highest scoring month in April (2019). I averaged 31 points in the month of April off the bench. So I thought without a doubt I showed I could still play, my character is solid, I thought without a doubt (I would get signed)."

Crawford added that even though the pandemic impacted his pickup routine, he had been able to stay in shape via a fitness center he has in his home. He'll be ready for the opportunity.

"Absolutely," he said when asked if he still hoped to find a home in the league. "I'm training as if I'm playing, or I'm going to play. Part of that obviously is for me, because I'm never out of shape, so I love to play anyway. I'll be playing somewhere, whether it's here or LA Fitness, I'll be playing somewhere. But hopefully it's back in the league."

At that point, not even Crawford could have guessed his next organized basketball would come in a Disney World bubble. But here we are. Whatever he does, it will certainly be worth watching.

RELATED: Jamal Crawford recounts how Michael Jordan helped him meet Jay-Z

SUBSCRIBE TO THE BULLS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

Monte Harrison, brother to Bulls' Shaq, makes sibling sports history

Monte Harrison, brother to Bulls' Shaq, makes sibling sports history

Miami Marlins center fielder Monte Harrison made a bit of history on Aug. 4, when he laced up for his first ever MLB game.

With his debut, he and older brother Shaq officially became just the sixth MLB-NBA brother duo in league history. The most recent? Klay and Trayce Thompson, the latter of which appeared in his last MLB game on June 20, 2018 for the White Sox. Chicago ties all around.


Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Bulls news and analysis.

Shaq used his trademark brand of heart and hustle to work his way up from two 10-day contracts with the Phoenix Suns to a multi-year pact with the Bulls. Monte's path to the majors began in 2014 after the Milwaukee Brewers plucked him in the second round of the Amateur Draft from Lee's Summit West High School in Lee's Summit, Mo. He was jettisoned to Miami as part of the Christian Yelich trade in 2018. 

In 2019, Monte played 58 games between Miami's High-A and Triple-A affiliates, slashing .270/.351/.441 with 9 home runs, 24 RBI and 23 stolen bases. He's been known to flash some leather, too, and entered this season the club's tenth-ranked prospect.

Since his call-up, he's appeared in four contests (three starts) with the Marlins, and is just 1-for-10 at the plate with five strikeouts. But we'll forgive some early-career stumbles. His first big-league base-knock, which came on Thursday, was perfectly emblematic of what Bulls fans have come to expect from the Harrison household.

Yup. A cue-shot infield single. Exit velocity: 44.3 mph. Expected batting average: .190. But he beat it out. And followed it up with a stolen base. You can't script this stuff.

"I don’t know what my mother did, a lot of prayers, a lot of believing, and trust in us," Monte said after his debut on Tuesday, via Bob Nightengale. "We just worked our ass off.''

That much is evident.

RELATED: How Bulls’ Shaq Harrison impacts games, even with limited playing time

SUBSCRIBE TO THE BULLS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

Latest on the NBA's second bubble for teams eliminated from restart

Latest on the NBA's second bubble for teams eliminated from restart

With the NBA restarting with 22 of its 30 teams, there was buzz in early July of a second bubble coming to Chicago for the eight teams excluded to get in organized team activities and possibly scrimmages.

Now, it appears those talks have significantly slowed, if not stalled entirely.

The Athletic reported Tuesday that there is "significant doubt" the second bubble concept will come to fruition, but Friday, that bringing the "Delete Eight" teams into the Disney campus has been discussed. Any agreement — whether it be a full-on bubble or respective, in-market OTAs — would require stringent safety protocols and need to be agreed upon by the league and NBPA.

On the most recent episode of the Bulls Talk Podcast, NBC Sports Chicago Bulls insider K.C. Johnson broke down the latest scuttlebut:

Well, the latest is, you really got only one shared goal between these eight teams and that is to get some kind of formal group activities authorized by the league and the players association.

How that plays out and the form that takes, there are different goals. There are some teams that wouldn't mind doing a bubble. There are other teams that would rather stay in their own practice facilities and not travel. There are other teams that want to do regional scrimmages against another team. And complicating this is that Michele Roberts, the executive director of the players association, is on record as saying: Unless there are the exact same safety protocols going on in Orlando for the second bubble, it's a non-starter for her.

The league's attention mostly has been in Orlando, obviously, and that was a signficant financial undertaking. So you'd also have to factor in that, what kind of financial undertaking would they commit to these eight teams. It did look like there was some positive momentum for, not a bubble, but for each team to be able to hold some sort of offseason training sessions, group sessions in their own facilities, like OTAs in the NFL.

And I don't think that's dead, but there's certainly not as much optimism as there was maybe a week, ten days ago for that. I mean, it's fluid, and there's nothing definitive yet, but you may be staring at that dreaded eight month window between formal group activities for these eight teams. 

In the episode, the crew also breaks down the week in NBA bubble action, talks Jim Boylen and more. Listen here or via the embedded player below: