Bears

Can Mets afford to sign star SS?

549386.jpg

Can Mets afford to sign star SS?

From Comcast SportsNet
NEW YORK (AP) -- The biggest win for the Mets this season may have come this week in a federal courthouse. The team's owners have been relieved from much of a 1 billion lawsuit filed on behalf of the victims of Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme. Whether that gives the financially hobbled ballclub more flexibility to retain Jose Reyes remains to be seen. Mets fans will be watching, for sure, after New York's third straight losing season and fifth in a row without a playoff appearance. In a year that was described from the start as transitional, the Mets brought in a new general manager in Sandy Alderson and a new manager in Terry Collins. Yet Reyes, clearly, was the exuberant face of a team that went 77-85. The dynamic shortstop won the NL batting title on the final day of the season, drawing some heat after leaving the last game after a bunt single in the first inning. He led the major leagues with 16 triples and was superb in the field. He also made two trips to the disabled list with more hamstring trouble, derailing an MVP-like season. He's now in line to file for free agency after the World Series. Alderson said Thursday he expected discussions to begin with Reyes' agent "in the next day or two." "We were fortunate to experience an outstanding year from Jose. There is obviously some uncertainty as to where he's going to be next year," Alderson said. "We will see where that takes us." "We will try to be as creative as we possibly can and look at what's available across the board," he said. But can owner Fred Wilpon, who told Sports Illustrated this spring the Mets were "bleeding cash," afford one of this offseason's most desirable free agents? Can he afford not to keep the team's most popular player and biggest draw? Despite the losing record, the Mets did make strides on the field under the enthusiastic Collins in his first managerial job since 1999. Their real trouble, though, came in the board room. -- Attendance dropped to a low not seen since 2004, hurting revenues. Wilpon has said the Mets could lose 70 million this year. -- The Mets put a portion of the team up for sale this winter because of the financial uncertainty created by the Madoff mess. -- A 200 million deal to sell a minority share of the team to hedge fund manager David Einhorn fell through and now Wilpon and co-owner Saul Katz are looking to sell 20 million shares to family members and other investors. Alderson and the players insisted the off-field trouble did not have any effect on their play. And despite several key injuries to stars early, the Mets remained on the margins of the NL wild-card race into July. They traded closer Francisco Rodriguez and All-Star Carlos Beltran -- New York improved to 55-51 on July 28, they day he was dealt. "That team we put together in spring training, I know that if we had been out there we would have been a lot different-looking club than what we ended up being," Collins said. Ike Davis was off to a promising second big league season before a mild collision with David Wright turned into a season-ending bone bruise in his ankle. Wright missed two months and Johan Santana did not pitch after having offseason shoulder surgery. Reyes had a remarkable first half, but missed the All-Star game with a hamstring strain and re-injured it in August. Still he finished with 101 runs scored, 39 steals and a .337 average. "Certainly every day I hope the shortstop returns because he gives us the best team," said Collins, who had the 2013 option for his contract exercised Tuesday. With the stars out, several youngsters proved they could play at the major league level. Justin Turner lost out in the competition for the second base job in spring training but took advantage of his April call-up and batted .354 with runners in scoring position. Ruben Tejada and Lucas Duda also showed they belong. Duda, who hit several long home runs, could be the starting right fielder next year. "I think there's a lot of optimism moving forward," Wright said. "We had some young players come up and make a name for themselves. I think that you like the feeling that is in this clubhouse every day." While Mike Pelfrey (7-13, 4.74 ERA) took a huge step backward after being named the Mets' No. 1 starter with Santana out, Dillon Gee (13-6) became first Mets rookie to win at least 13 games since Dwight Gooden won 17 in 1984. "I really thought a lot about taking the next step in the offseason and getting even better," Pelfrey said. "After April ended, I thought it got better. Obviously not where I wanted to be, but it got better. I think it's going to help me better prepare for next season." The 24-year-old Jonathon Niese won a career-high 11 games in his second full season in the rotation, and R.A. Dickey was stellar down the stretch to finish with a 3.28 ERA. One area of concern is the closer role. Collins wanted 27-year-old Bobby Parnell with his 100 mph fastball to seize the spot but he was only 6 of 12 in save opportunities down the stretch. With the hefty contracts of Beltran and Rodriguez off the books for 2012, along with those of Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez -- both cut during spring training -- the Mets should have some flexibility. But Alderson has said that the team's payroll would be in the range of 100-110 million next year, down from more than 140 million this year. One area the Mets might spend on is making Citi Field friendlier for their struggling power hitters. Alderson has indicated that the team is looking into lowering the 16-foot left-field wall and bringing in the fences at the spacious ballpark, where New York hit just 50 homers this year and 162 in the three seasons since it opened. Wright has hit only 22 homers at Citi. In 2008, the Mets' last season at Shea Stadium, he hit 21 homers at home. Jason Bay, who has struggled mightily in his two seasons in New York, hit just six of his 12 homers at home and had a .374 slugging percentage overall this season, the lowest of his career. All told, the Mets got off to a 5-13 start, then went 12-16 in September. In between, not so bad. "I would have hoped that we could have done better, not only in the overall season but even finishing up," Alderson said. "One of the disappointments for me was that we started poorly and ended poorly. First impressions are important and last impressions are important. We did a lot of good things between those two bookends but I think the poor start and difficult finish may obscure some of that," he said.

ICYMI: The Bears lose in OT, the Bulls season nears, the Blackhawks make history

usatsi_11442452.jpg
USA TODAY

ICYMI: The Bears lose in OT, the Bulls season nears, the Blackhawks make history

The Bears suffered a heartbreaking defeat (that makes two of those), but the Bulls are days away from the start of a new season and the Blackhawks did something that has never happened before in sports history.

Bears

The Bears had a slow first half, failing to score against the shorthanded Dolphins, but picked things up in the third quarter. It all fell apart late in the fourth quarter and then again in overtime in a 31-28 defeat. Miami went up against the Bears without starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill, but Brock Osweiler threw for 380 yards and three touchdowns. What does that say about the Bears' defense?

Matt Nagy was a bit chippy with the media after the game, but there were still positive signs from the offense.

Plus, Dwyane Wade was there and repped the Bears on the road.

Bulls

The Bulls wrapped up the preseason Friday with a 98-93 loss to the Nuggets. Wendell Carter Jr. and Bobby Portis both showed well in the preseason finale and Jabari Parker flashed his potential as well.

With the preseason complete, Mark Strotman graded each player on the Bulls roster. You may not want to calculate the team GPA.

The roster is being finalized as well, with Ryan Arcidiacono making the team and local product Tyler Ulis getting picked up off waivers.

Blackhawks

Saturday was an eventful day for the Blackhawks. First, it marked the 1,000th career game for Duncan Keith. Keith talked about the emotional night after the game.

As for the game itself, the Blackhawks beat the Blues 4-3 in overtime. That was the second time the Hawks beat the Blues in OT this season, adding to a 5-4 OT win in St. Louis on Oct. 6.

Unbelievably, that was the fifth straight OT game for the Blackhawks. Every game has gone to overtime this season, and not one of those has even gone to a shootout. No NHL team has done that since the league introduced a regular-season overtime period in 1983-84, per the Elias Sports Bureau. Overtimes are more rare in other sports, but that also holds true for the NBA, NFL and MLB.

The Hawks don't play against until Thursday, when the host Arizona.

Bears notes: Was Trey Burton’s penalty justified?

Bears notes: Was Trey Burton’s penalty justified?

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — In a game full of pivotal moments, one seemed to irk the Bears in particular following Sunday’s 31-28 overtime loss to the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium.

Driving on the Dolphins three-yard line, the Bears lined up in a T formation with Jordan Howard, Trey Burton and Tarik Cohen lined up left to right in the backfield behind Mitch Trubisky, who was under center. Burton motioned out of the backfield and to the right, and ran his route into linebacker Kiko Alonso.

Trubisky threw a short pass to a wide open Cohen for a touchdown, with Alonso late getting to the running back after being hit by Burton. But that score was taken off the board for offensive pass interference, with officials ruling what Burton did amounted to an illegal pick play.

“Trey did everything I asked him to do,” Matt Nagy said, sharply.

On the next play, Trubisky forced a pass into double coverage in the end zone, which was easily picked off by Dolphins safety T.J. McDonald. Miami turned that interception into eight points on Albert Wilson’s 43-yard touchdown and an ensuing two-point conversion.

The way Burton understood the rule was that offensive pass interference was only assessed on a pick play if he intentionally ran into a defender without running a true route. That’s what Burton felt he did; the officiating crew disagreed.

“I thought I ran a route and the guy ran into me,” Burton said. “I thought they changed the rule this year or last year — if you run the route, it doesn’t matter if you pick the guy or not, you’re good. Obviously they called it.”

A Rough Return

The conversations surrounding the Bears Sunday into Monday would be awfully different had a number of things happened — Trubisky doesn’t throw that interception, the Bears’ defense gets a stop, Tarik Cohen doesn’t fumble near midfield, etc. In that same group: If Cody Parkey hits what would’ve been a game-winning 53-yard field goal in overtime.

Parkey, instead, missed that kick wide right. His career long is 54 yards, which he hit last year while with the Miami Dolphins (and that was a game-winner with about a minute left against the Los Angeles Chargers).

“I had the distance, I just didn’t kick it straight enough, bottom line,” Parkey said. “But you’ve got to move on. I’ve made game winners, I’ve missed game winners. As long as I keep playing, I’m just going to keep trying to kick my best.

“… I control what I can control, and unfortunately I missed a field goal. I’d like to have that one back, but it is what it is and I’m just going to focus on the next game. That’s all I can do.”