Bears

Blame game begins with Martz stepping forward

540765.jpg

Blame game begins with Martz stepping forward

Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011
Posted: 10:00 p.m.

By John Mullin
CSNChicago.com Bears Insider Follow @CSNMoonMullin
VIDEO: Forte not feeling appreciated
Kaplan: 1985 Bears will visit White House

My bad.

That was offensive coordinator Mike Martzs mea culpa Wednesday for the playcalling fiasco in New Orleans 52 pass plays, 12 runs that left the franchise quarterback battered and the Bears with a defeat.

Martz insisted he was not disappointed with protection issues but instead declared that we need to mix it up a lot more than we did in that game, he said. We had a lot of pressure, more pressure than I think we probably suspected. It puts a lot of pressure on some of these protections.

Martz acknowledged lots of reasons for the breakdown but none of them are justification. We went into that game thinking we were going to run the ball more. We didnt do that.

Smith was questioned last year about not reining in Martzs passing propensities and didnt appear to demand a course correction until the off week, seven games in to the season. Smith could have intervened during Sundays game but its just not how we do things, Martz said. Lovie has great trust in what were doing and understands that. I think he understood, too, a lot of the issues that we were dealing with. If youre looking for blame, blame me.

The real issue

The point in all of this is not to replay and rehash the Saints game, but rather whether Martz can be relied upon to adhere to a change in philosophy that was successful last year but was ignored under pressure Sunday.

Last season, at Green Bay in a game against a desperate Packers team needing a win for a wild-card slot, and after winning seven of the previous eight games with Jay Cutler throwing more than 30 passes just once, Martz inexplicably called 47 pass plays to 18 runs.

Cutler was sacked six times, forced to run twice and the Bears lost 10-3 at a point in the season when a successful formula appeared to have settled in place.

Blame gaming

Failed execution, i.e., player error, received blame in last Sundays debacle. But both Martz and line coach Mike Tice used phrasing that suggested that all was not player-induced and that at least in mid-week the two coaches were on, at least, close-by pages:

Ultimately, what it comes down to is we didnt coach as good as we should have, and we didnt play as good as we should have, Martz said.

Tice wasn't standing far away on the practice field but sounding a lot like his coordinator.

Everybody across the board has to do a better job, Tice said. To me, being around as long as Ive been around, the blame should go on us coaches because we have a bunch of players willing to do exactly what we want them to do. Its our job to put them in positions to be able to look good.

When we dont do that, its embarrassing to us.

Good news, and bad

The good news, if it can be called that, is that the line in particular was on its assignments. The bad news was that they failed to execute them.

Guys we were supposed to block, sometimes we didnt block them so good, Tice said. But we were on the right guy. If we can do that again this week and get better, then well take a step toward making the offense a whole lot better.

Right tackle Gabe Carimi is expected to miss up to four games with a knee injury and right guard Lance Louis is still practicing on a limited basis with his injured right ankle.

Tice has one solution: I actually lost 12 pounds and Im trying my pads on tomorrow, he joked. I dont know if Ive got anything in me but the National Anthem, but Im certainly going to give it a whirl.

John "Moon" Mullin is CSNChicago.com's Bears Insider and appears regularly on Bears Postgame Live and Chicago Tribune Live. Follow Moon on Twitter for up-to-the-minute Bears information.

Tom Brady to meet with other teams in 2020 free agency

Tom Brady to meet with other teams in 2020 free agency

Let the games begin! After spending his entire NFL career at Gillette Stadium with the New England Patriots, Tom Brady is entering free agency. Per CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora, Brady is open to talks with other teams for what is to be his last contract of his playing career.

Brady has been a staple of the Patriots franchise for 19 years. There are young New England fans who haven’t ever been alive during a time without Brady under center. The Patriots are certain to undergo changes in the future, with many wondering how much longer Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick will be at the helm of the organization, so it is understandable to see Brady ready to explore his options.

RELATED: Top 30 free agents of the 2020 NFL offseason

At 42-years-old, Brady has been telling those close to him that, unless he is sidelined by injury, he anticipates playing until age 45. Brady is also excited at the prospect of mentoring a young quarterback so that whatever organization he plays with during his final NFL stint, it is set for success after he retires. The question for Bears fans is, could that young quarterback be Mitch Trubisky?

After an uninspiring season, there is much talk about creating some competition at QB for the three-year Bears starter. Some healthy competition could drive Trubisky to play like the draft pick that Ryan Pace hoped he would be. The Bears are currently in the bottom-five of salary cap space in the NFL, meaning they would have to do some serious budgeting to be able to afford Brady, but fans will have to wait and see what Pace intends to do this off-season after a disappointing 2019 campaign.

La Canfora reports that it would “extremely surprising” if Brady were to agree to a new deal with the Patriots before free agency begins in March. There have been other reports of the Brady family moving to Connecticut (still technically in New England, but a move nonetheless) and a deep clean of Giselle Bündchen’s suite at Gillette Stadium, indicating that Brady is indeed ready to move on. We will all just have to wait and see where Brady will end up in 2020. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Bears.

Which of these 2 Titans free agents should the Bears consider signing?

Which of these 2 Titans free agents should the Bears consider signing?

The Tennessee Titans' 2019 campaign should provide Bears fans with hope that Chicago's underachieving year can quickly turn around in one season, assuming GM Ryan Pace makes calculated decisions to protect the team from another regression.

Tennessee's trade for quarterback Ryan Tannehill was the kind of chess move that allowed the Titans to give Marcus Mariota one more season to prove he's the franchise quarterback so many draft experts predicted he'd be, while also making sure the team could still compete if he failed. Mariota didn't take advantage of that opportunity, and he was out of the lineup for good by Week 7.

But Tannehill doesn't deserve all the credit for the Titans' breakout on offense. Two other players, both of whom will be unrestricted free agents in March, deserve some attention and potentially an offer from the Bears in free agency: Running back Derrick Henry and offensive tackle Jack Conklin.

RELATED: Top 30 Free Agents of the 2020 NFL Offseason

Henry ran for a league-leading 1,540 yards and 16 touchdowns in 15 games and would probably be the 2019 NFL MVP if it wasn't such a quarterback-tilted award. In fact, an argument can be made that Henry is the engine behind Tannehill's success. With so much attention paid to stopping the 250-pound workhorse, play-action and downfield opportunities were easier to complete. Tannehill did, after all, complete over 70% of his passes in 2019.

Imagine if Mitch Trubisky had the luxury of handing the ball to a player like Henry 25 times per game. His job would become, well, easy. And this isn't to suggest running back David Montgomery can't be an effective bell-cow back who can rumble for 1,250 yards. But Henry is an elite player who will remain at or near the top of the league's running backs for the next few seasons.

Will Ryan Pace pay nearly $14 million per season for a running back? It seems highly unlikely considering the limited salary-cap space the Bears have and the pressing need to add a Tannehill of their own. If Henry's asking price drops a bit, then who knows. But assuming a team with a lot of money to spend is willing to pay up, the Bears would be better served looking elsewhere.

So what about Conklin? Chicago needs an upgrade along the offensive line and while Charles Leno, Jr. and Bobby Massie have proven to be adequate starters during their careers, Conklin was at one time considered one of the NFL's top young tackles before injuring his knee in the 2017 playoffs.

He returned to form in 2019 and was graded as the 15th-best tackle in the league by Pro Football Focus. Compare that to Leno, Jr. and Massie, who graded 86th and 65th respectively.

According to Spotrac, Conklin's projected market value is $15 million per season, which is a little bit higher than Henry but is also for a position that is much harder to fill. 

The Titans declined Conklin's fifth-year option last May and as a result, he's going to cash-in on the open market. Tennessee may end up using the franchise tag to keep him, which would all but eliminate him from consideration for the Bears.

If, however, both Conklin and Henry are allowed to flirt with new teams, it seems pretty clear that Conklin would be the better use of funds. Sure, Henry would be a lot of fun to watch pound opposing defenses into submission, but Montgomery has the potential to be the same kind of fan-favorite. Conklin, on the other hand, is a clear upgrade over Leno, Jr. and Massie, and would provide more long-term returns for the money, too. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Bears.