Cubs-Reds washed out after four-hour rain delay


Cubs-Reds washed out after four-hour rain delay

CINCINNATI - Weather forced the Cubs and Reds to postpone Saturday's contest after a rain delay totaling four hours, 13 minutes at Great American Ballpark.

No makeup date has been announced yet.

Rain hit the Cincinnati area hard Saturday morning and did not let up into the afternoon. Neither team even took the field to start the game.

"That's the way it works sometimes," Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. "The only thing I'd like to say is I thought the umpires did a great job in the end of trying to put this whole thing together conversationally. I really appreciated how they handled it.

Since the game hadn't started yet, the umpires weren't allowed to call it themselves. The call had to come from the Reds, who had a sellout crowd expected as they celebrated the 25th anniversary of the 1990 World Series champion team.

"I know they wanted to get it done for the full house," Maddon said. "I understand that. Totally get it. I'm not gonna denigrate the Reds for doing what they think was the right thing to do. Never. Everybody's got their own house to keep. I'm not going there. But I understand that had to play somewhat into the delay."

[MORE: Cubs feel Jon Lester could be turning a corner]

The lengthy rain delay was frustrating for some, including Cubs projected starting pitcher Jake Arrieta, who likes to spend 40 minutes warming up before the start of the game, Maddon said.

The start time of the game was pushed back three different times before the contest was finally postponed, creating a tough situation for both teams, who played a nearly four-hour long game Friday night in the series opener.

"Obviously, if it's our last trip to Cincinnati, different story," Maddon said. "If it's our last trip to any city, different story. But the ability to come back here several other times, even with some common open dates, made it more difficult.

"You play a game at night [Friday], you get here early in the morning [Saturday], you sit around here all day with another day game the next day."

[NBC SHOP: Gear up, Cubs fans!]

Maddon said Arrieta never even warmed up, so he will be pushed back to Sunday for the series finale, slated to start at 1:10 p.m. Central Time.

Maddon also said the lineup should remain the same as the Reds also pushed back starter Anthony DeSclafani.

Kris Bryant is ready for fatherhood '[I was] put on this earth to be a dad'


Kris Bryant is ready for fatherhood '[I was] put on this earth to be a dad'

Suffice to say Kris Bryant is budding with anticipation for becoming a father.

Bryant and his wife, Jessica, are expecting their first child — a baby boy due in April. During Friday night’s Cubs-Padres broadcast, the third baseman shared his excitement for fatherhood with reporter Taylor McGregor

“I think this is really what I’ve been put on this Earth to do, is be a dad,” Bryant said, laughing. “Obviously I play baseball pretty good, but I’m just so excited [for] this new journey with my wife and my family. Honestly, I think this is going to be one of the best years of my life.”

Bryant’s son is due shortly after Opening Day, but the Cubs will play two spring training games in Las Vegas — Bryant’s hometown — on March 7-8. He told McGregor one of Jessica’s last doctor’s appointments is around the same time, so Bryant will get one last visit in before Baby Bryant is born.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Cubs easily on your device.

How Dusty Baker inspired former Cub Adam Greenberg after scary head injury


How Dusty Baker inspired former Cub Adam Greenberg after scary head injury

Adam Greenberg’s baseball career was cut short by a scary head injury 15 years ago. But with the help of Dusty Baker, he found the motivation to transition to his post-baseball life.

Greenberg made his MLB debut with the Cubs on July 9, 2005, and Baker called upon the then 24-year-old to pinch-hit in the ninth inning against the Marlins. On the first pitch Greenberg saw in the big leagues, Marlins reliever Valerio De Los Santos hit him in the back of the head with a 92-mph fastball.

Greenberg was concussed from the incident, suffered from vertigo and vision problems, and battled depression. The Cubs released him in 2006 and he caught on with the Royals and later the Dodgers in 2007 — which is when Baker reappears in the story. From’s Brian McTaggart:

A couple of years following the incident, in 2007, Baker got a letter from a fan requesting a baseball card be signed. In the letter, the person told Baker that Greenberg had been released by the Royals and his baseball career was in jeopardy. Baker tracked down Greenberg and left him the voice mail that served as his motivation for a post-baseball life.

“It was so genuine and from the heart,” Greenberg said. “It put me in tears the first time, but it was the motivation and inspiration I needed to get up and keep going. And since then, he’s been somebody that’s been near and dear to me."

It's unfortunate Greenberg couldn’t experience a long big-league career, but Baker inspired him and helped him move forward post-baseball. According to McTaggart, Greenberg started a nutrition company and sold it 10 years later. He also ran for state senate in Connecticut in 2019 and is currently a baseball analyst for the ACC Network.

Greenberg’s career effectively ended moments after it began, but 2005 wasn’t the last time he stepped in a big-league batters’ box. In 2012, fans started an online petition to get him one last at-bat — and his career came full circle. The Marlins signed him to a one-day contract on Oct. 2, 2012, and he pinch-hit that same day against the Mets.

Greenberg struck out on three pitches, but Baker’s voicemail left a mark on his life. Seeing him enjoy success outside of baseball is as heartwarming as it gets.