Cubs

Garza to make Cubs debut vs. Pirates

398267.jpg

Garza to make Cubs debut vs. Pirates

Sunday, April 3, 2011
Posted: 10:22 a.m.

Associated Press

Matt Garza won 15 games last season pitching in arguably baseball's toughest division, so the Chicago Cubs are excited about his potential in the National League.

Garza will make his Cubs debut Sunday when they close a three-game series with the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates.

Chicago (1-1) acquired Garza in trade with Tampa Bay in January, adding the right-hander to a rotation that includes veterans Ryan Dempster and Carlos Zambrano. The Cubs liked that the 27-year-old Garza set a career high in wins while posting a 3.91 ERA last year despite pitching in the difficult AL East.

"We have a guy we feel is in the prime of his career. He's pitched in arguably the toughest division in baseball the last few years," general manager Jim Hendry said. "This is a guy who wanted to pitch against the Yankees and the Red Sox. He wanted the challenge."

Garza, who pitched a no-hitter last year, has playoff experience after winning the ALCS MVP in 2008 when he won two games and helped the Rays advance to the World Series. His new team, which finished fifth in the NL Central in 2010, hasn't been to the World Series since 1945.

"To play baseball at Wrigley Field, I can't express what it meant to me to come here the first day, even driving outside," he told the Cubs' official website. "I could say, 'I'm a Major League Baseball player and I'm too cool for that' - no, I'm not. I was thrilled when I walked up that concourse."

Making his first career start against Pittsburgh, Garza will try to help the Cubs win this series after they bounced back from a season-opening loss by rallying for a 5-3 victory over the Pirates (1-1) on Saturday.

Chicago did all its scoring in the eighth, capped by Blake DeWitt's pinch-hit, two-run, two-out, bases-loaded double. The Cubs had five hits over the first seven innings after recording 11 hits - all singles - in Friday's 6-3 defeat.

"We finally put an inning together. Good for Blake DeWitt, it's a huge hit for him and for us," said Cubs manager Mike Quade, who got his first win as a full-time skipper.

Chicago is hoping it's the first of many wins versus Pittsburgh after going 5-10 against its division rival last year.

The Pirates will try to rebound when they hand the ball to Ross Ohlendorf, who is coming off the worst season of his career.

After going 11-10 in 2009, Ohlendorf struggled to a 1-11 record and a 4.07 ERA last season, although his one win came at home against the Cubs in June. Despite the disappointing year, which included two stints on the disabled list, Ohlendorf had success against Chicago, posting a 1.35 ERA in three starts.

The right-hander didn't have a promising spring, going 0-5 with a 9.82 ERA while giving up five homers and eight walks in 18 1-3 innings.

If Ohlendorf's spring was any indication, Pittsburgh's bullpen could be called into action early. On Saturday, Evan Meek was charged with the loss after giving up all five runs - two earned.

"We had the game and let it get away from us. But you know what? I'll hand the ball to Meek every time, and all those guys in the bullpen. Everybody is going to have bad outings," Saturday's starter Paul Maholm said.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Why Cubs-Cards COVID-19 postponement raises heat on MLB, ethics questions

Why Cubs-Cards COVID-19 postponement raises heat on MLB, ethics questions

Millions of Americans have lost jobs or taken pay cuts because of the economic impact of a coronavirus pandemic that in this country shows no signs of going away anytime soon, including countless members of the sports media.

So despite some of the more laughably ignorant opinions from the dimmer corners of social media, exactly nobody in the media wants any sport to shut down again.

That said, what the hell are we doing playing games outside of a bubble during the deadliest pandemic in this country in more than 100 years?

With Friday's news that another Cardinals staff member and two more players tested positive in the past two days for COVID-19, the Cubs-Cards weekend series was postponed as officials scrambled to test and retest Cardinals personnel and try to get their season restarted.

The Cubs, who have not had a player test positive since the intake process began in June, have done everything right, from management to the last player on the roster, to keep their team healthy and playing.

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

But the operative, most overlooked, word in all of this has always been “playing.”

And the longer MLB pushes through outbreaks, and measures the season’s viability in counting cases instead of the risk of a catastrophic outcome for even one player, the deeper its ethical dilemma in this viral cesspool.

“Ethically, I have no problem saying we’re going to keep doing this,” Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said over the weekend about asking players to continue working as the league experienced outbreaks involving the Marlins and Cardinals.

“That said, we have to do it the right way,” Hoyer said, citing the extra lengths the Cubs have taken to keep players and staff safe.

RELATED: Cubs better prepared than MLB to finish COVID-19 season — which is the problem

But even he and other team executives understand the limits of all the best-made plans.

“The infection is throughout the country. That’s the reality,” team president Theo Epstein said. “If you’re traveling around, there’s a real risk. Protocols are not perfect. No set of protocols are perfect. They’re designed to minimize the risk as best you possibly can.”

And while the odds for surviving the virus favor young, athletic people such as baseball players, the nearly 160,000 Americans killed by COVID-19 in the last five months include otherwise healthy toddlers, teens and young adults.

Add that to the best-known characteristic of this virus — its wildfire-like ability to spread within a group — and baseball’s attempt to stage a two-month season involving travel in and out of 30 locales starts to look like Russian roulette.

Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodríguez, 27, contracted COVID-19 last month and as a result developed myocarditis — an inflammation of the heart — that might shut him down for the season even after multiple tests say he’s clear of the virus.

Cubs pitching coach Tommy Hottovy, a fit, 39-year-old, recent major-league athlete, had a monthlong case so severe he went to the emergency room at one point for treatment before the viral pneumonia and high fever began to improve.

The vast majority of players insist they want to play, including Rodríguez, even after his heart diagnosis. More than 20 others have opted out because of the risk, including All-Stars Buster Posey, David Price and — in the past week — Lorenzo Cain and Yoenis Céspedes.

Obviously the owners want to play, with more than $1 billion in recouped revenues at stake in a season of deep financial losses.

“Everyone that I know outside of baseball who’s become positive, who’s gotten COVID-19 at some point, did everything right — washed their hands, wore masks, socially distanced — and they still became positive,” Epstein said. “They don’t know where. It could have been the grocery store. It could have been walking down the street.

“And as far as I know that’s the case inside baseball, too,” he added. “This is everywhere in the country and unfortunately going the wrong direction nationwide. It’s a fraught environment out there that we’re operating in, and we’re going to need to do our absolute best and also be fortunate.”

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

Cubs-Cardinals series postponed after Cardinals' COVID-19 outbreak worsens

Cubs-Cardinals series postponed after Cardinals' COVID-19 outbreak worsens

The COVID-19 pandemic finally caught up to the Cubs, who had their weekend series against the Cardinals postponed Friday after the Cardinals' coronavirus outbreak worsened by three positive tests before the teams were scheduled to open a three-game series in St. Louis on Friday night.

The Cardinals, who haven't played since last week because of an outbreak that now includes at least 16 players and staff, scrambled to test and retest personnel Friday as Major League Baseball wiped another series off their schedule.

Cardinals president John Mozeliak said Friday the latest players to test positive are outfielder Austin Dean and pitcher Ryan Helsley. The club announced Tuesday catcher Yadier Molina and shortstop Paul DeJong recently tested positive.

The Cubs, who have not had a player test positive since intake testing began more than a month ago, had not lost a game on their schedule because of coronavirus issues.

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

The Cubs (10-3) were scheduled to fly home from St. Louis Friday night and are not scheduled to play again until Tuesday in Cleveland. This weekend's series has not been rescheduled yet.

“Based on the information MLB has shared with us, postponing this series is a necessary step to protect the health and safety of the Cardinals and the Cubs,” Cubs president Theo Epstein said in a statement. “Therefore, it is absolutely the right thing to do.

“While it’s obviously less than ideal, this is 2020, and we will embrace whatever steps are necessary to promote player and staff wellbeing and increase our chances of completing this season in safe fashion,” he added. “We will be ready to go on Tuesday in Cleveland. In the meantime, we wish the Cardinals personnel involved a quick and complete recovery.”

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.