Cubs

Mooney: Leadoff questions start with DeWitt

269122.jpg

Mooney: Leadoff questions start with DeWitt

Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011
Posted 9:13 p.m.

By Patrick Mooney
CSNChicago.com

MESA, Ariz. Cowboy boots next to his locker, a crossword puzzle in his hand, Blake DeWitt doesnt act like hes owed anything. The Cubs second baseman separated his offseason into two categories: working out and bowhunting.

Especially for a former first-round pick, DeWitt is quiet and low-key and serious about his craft. Those qualities were probably noticed by front-office assistant Greg Maddux, who played with DeWitt in Los Angeles and recommended him in the Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot deal last summer.

Though only 25, this will be DeWitts eighth professional season 2010 was the first time he spent all year on the major-league level. And he continues to make adjustments.

DeWitt talked extensively with hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo and decided to eliminate the toe-tap mechanism from his swing, which he used throughout his rise in the Dodgers organization.

DeWitt, who grew up Missouri and enjoyed moving back to the Midwest, does not view this as a make-or-break year in his career. As a rookie in 2008, he hit .264 with nine homers and 52 RBI in 117 games for a division champion. He just wants to get back to the playoffs.

I dont necessarily set any personal goals right now, he said. I want to win the World Series and thats it. I concentrate (on) the right things and the personal stuff will fall into place.

The Cubs still dont know exactly what they have in DeWitt its only been 184 at-bats but they see youth and potential, someone who should hit to all fields and with more power.

Manager Mike Quade thinks DeWitt can grow into being the leadoff hitter, though Jeff Baker and Kosuke Fukudome figure to be in the rotation.

It would be a huge challenge for him, Quade said, but theres probably a whole bunch of guys that have a chance (if) we have to mix and match. You always say stuff and then someone asserts himself and takes the job. And then my decisions easy.

(But) you cant lose sight of the fact that if (Fukudomes) in the lineup, (hes) the guy that fits the best of this whole group to me.

Since Ryne Sandbergs last game in 1997, the Cubs have used seven different starting second basemen on Opening Day in the past 14 years.

DeWitt, who is eligible for arbitration for the first time next year, could stabilize the position. Or, six weeks from Opening Day, at least represent some possible upside in a lineup filled with players over 30.
Defending Soriano

Alfonso Soriano, who turned 35 last month, is at an age where hes no longer a threat to steal bases, and his days as a leadoff hitter are over. The Cubs hope he can still hit enough home runs to make up for his defensive lapses.

Its too early for Quade to say whether he will pull Soriano from the outfield late in close games. It will likely depend on the situation.

Look, hes not running the way he (once) did, and its a thought, Quade said Thursday. But of all the decisions Ive got right now, thats way far off in the distance. I want him to come in here expecting to play nine innings every day and to get better and continue to work and be as good as he can defensively.

Stay healthy (and) when it comes time to play ballgames and stuff, well figure out all that. Ive got other issues that are way ahead of that.

PatrickMooney is CSNChicago.com's Cubs beat writer. FollowPatrick on Twitter @CSNMooneyfor up-to-the-minute Cubs news and views.

Willson Contreras, expert at going viral, tells hilarious profanity-laced story from 2019

Willson Contreras, expert at going viral, tells hilarious profanity-laced story from 2019

Willson Contreras and viral moments at Cubs Convention go hand-in-hand.

At the team’s annual fan festival in 2018, Contreras stole the show with a story from the 2017 season. During a mound visit against the Cardinals, the Cubs catcher gave profanity-laced advice to Jon Lester, the Cubs starter who rarely throws pickoffs due to a serious case of the yips.

"I went out there and I said, 'Hey motherf--ker, throw the f--king ball to first,'” Contreras recalled in January 2018.

Contreras stole the show again Saturday, telling a story about a moment against the Cardinals — this time from the 2019 season.

“So last year, we were facing the Cardinals and I started talking to [Marcell] Ozuna,” Contreras said. “He told me ‘Just call a fastball right down the middle.’ [And I said] ‘Yeah okay, I will.’ Then I called the fastball and he took it.

“I told him ‘What the f— are you talking about? Just hit the ball, just hit it.’

“He asked me ‘Just call it again.’ And I did it. He took it. Swing the [bat]. I called a third pitch and it was a strikeout. And then next time it was like just ‘Shut up,” or something."

Warning: graphic language

How Contreras will top this at 2021 Cubs Convention is uncertain, but considering he now has two viral moments on his resume, we can be sure the next one will be just as amazing.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Cubs easily on your device.

Cubs announce plans for extended protective netting at Wrigley Field for 2020

wrigley_field_shot.jpg
USA TODAY

Cubs announce plans for extended protective netting at Wrigley Field for 2020

Baseball fans will be more protected than ever at Wrigley Field this season.

Saturday, Cubs president of business operations Crane Kenney announced the club is extending protective netting at Wrigley Field to the elbows of the ballpark. Essentially, it will stretch a bit past where the old on-field bullpens were and stop before the walls in the left and right field corners.

Kenney added the extensions will be ready by Opening Day.

Last month, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced all 30 ballparks will extend their netting for the 2020 season. Manfred didn’t specify which teams would do what, but he said netting at each stadium would extend “substantially beyond the end of the dugout.”

With pitchers throwing harder than ever and batter exit velocities are through the roof, fans have little time to react in the stands when a ball is launched their way. It’s nearly impossible to avoid getting hit, even for those paying attention.

The Cubs have experienced this firsthand. In a game against the Astros last season, an Albert Almora Jr. foul ball struck a 2-year-old at Minute Maid Park. That young girl has a permanent brain injury, her family’s attorney announced earlier this month, an injury that affects her body similar to how a stroke would.

Almora was visibly shaken after the incident and said Friday at Cubs Convention it weighed heavily on him for the first couple of days.

“After that I had no other choice but to move forward,” Almora said. “But I always have that in the back of my mind. Every update that does come up, I am on there and I am seeing all of this."

Almora said he’s tried reaching out to the family but is respecting their privacy. As a father of two himself, he said there’s no reason to even think of his sons getting hurt while attending a game.

“Obviously prayers go out to the family. It’s unfortunate, and like I said before, that should never happen on a baseball field."

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Cubs easily on your device.