Fire

David Accam on being left off MLS All-Star roster: 'I’m disappointed my coach ignored me'

accam-728.jpg
USA TODAY

David Accam on being left off MLS All-Star roster: 'I’m disappointed my coach ignored me'

Players take being an All-Star snub differently, but there’s an added level of awkwardness when the person selecting a chunk of the roster was your own coach.

That’s the situation Chicago Fire winger David Accam and coach Veljko Paunovic find themselves in. As coach of the host team and therefore coach of the MLS All-Stars, Paunovic had to pick 11 players to fill out the roster after the Fan XI vote added the first selections.

While Paunovic did select midfielder Dax McCarty and defender Johan Kappelhof to join Fire teammates Bastian Schweinsteiger and Nemanja Nikolic, he did not pick Accam. Accam has 11 goals and seven assists, among the league leaders in both categories, and is not happy about being left off.

“I am disappointed because I think I played really well, especially coming from your own coach, it makes it even worse,” Accam said after training on Tuesday. “Personally, I know I’m doing well. I’ve scored 11 goals, seven assists this season. That is the pride I have. I’m doing well and I know I’m doing well even though I’m disappointed my coach ignored me, but I’ll still keep going.”

Accam made his disappointment somewhat public by retweeting a pair of tweets from former teammate Mike Magee and fellow Ghanaian Emmanuel Boateng of the LA Galaxy saying he was a snub. He did talk with Paunovic about being left off the All-Star team.

“We spoke after it came out, but that’s between me and him,” Accam said. “Whether I agree or not, that’s his decision.”

Last year, Fire general manager Nelson Rodriguez said the team was in contract extension talks with Accam, but those ended without an agreement being reached. Earlier this year, Rodriguez said they had decided to postpone further extension talks until after this season ends. That remains the case.

“We prefer not to have player negotiations during the year in general,” Rodriguez said on Friday. “I believe it’s human nature for those things to end up being a distraction, even if you’re not doing it directly to the player, you’re doing it to his representative. That would still be our preference. There are times when you move away from that, something pops up or something becomes easy or logical, but David is under contract, we have an option for him for next year and our preference is for him to remain with us.”

Rodriguez said it is a “pretty regular occurrence during the MLS windows” that offers come in for Accam. The most recent rumor was a reported bid from French Ligue 1 club Guingamp coming in at 2.5 million Euros.


With persistent rumors and Accam’s previously stated desire to play in Europe again, Accam fueled the fire by retweeting a mention that MLS should sell good players.

Further speculation of tension cropped up when Accam didn’t start last Saturday’s match in New York, the first after a break and after the All-Star roster was announced, despite not having an injury. Accam came off the bench at halftime and scored the Fire’s only goal in a 2-1 loss.

“Obviously I want to start games and stuff, but in the situation that we are in now it’s just a coach decision to not play me,” Accam said.

After the roster came out, Paunovic was asked about Accam’s exclusion.

“It’s not easy when you have to pick guys from your team and some guys that you also think they deserve to be there you can’t just because of the limitations,” Paunovic said. “That’s how it is.”

Rodriguez downplayed any drama with Accam. While Accam’s quotes about being left off don’t paint a pretty picture, he did still score in New York so any unhappiness hasn’t yet seeped into his on-field performance.

“I think David’s fine,” Rodriguez said. “I think that David is enjoying his best year in Major League Soccer and I think that’s a credit to David the work that he’s put in to his season, into his offseason. I think it’s also a credit to the coaching staff in maximizing his talent and knowing how to use him. He’s been a big part of our success so far. I think he’s managed the way we try to manage all of our players.”

Chicago Fire permanently sign midfielder Aleksandar Katai

katai.jpg
USA TODAY

Chicago Fire permanently sign midfielder Aleksandar Katai

The Fire have secured the transfer of midfielder Aleksandar Katai from Deportivo Alavés of the Spanish La Liga, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.

This season’s breakout playmaker has been signed with Chicago through 2019, with a 2020 club option. Before the transfer, Katai was on loan from Alavés, which was set to expire after July.

The Serbian player has emerged as one of the most important pieces of the Fire’s offense this season. Since joining the club on Feb. 6, Katai has scored eight goals in 18 league matches, tying forward Nemanja Nikolić for the most on the team. Katai also has three assists in 2018.

The 27-year-old’s biggest game of the year came against New York City FC last month when he scored two goals to lead the Fire to 3-2 victory. His production this season in the MLS has been much more significant than it was in 23 matches with Alavés, where Katai only tallied three goals and four assists.

His transfer fee is unknown but, according to Sam Stejskal of MLSsoccer.com, he will be a “Targeted Allocation Money player” for the rest of this season and will not be a Designated Player until 2019. Whatever the official price was, acquiring Katai for a lengthier amount of time seemed like a must.

Throughout this season, the Fire were rumored to be in talks with legendary Spanish striker Fernando Torres. On Tuesday, he signed with Sagan Tosu, a Japanese club. The Fire signed Katai the next day, showing that the team was possibly waiting for Torres to leave the market.

Chicago will face the Philadelphia Union Wednesday night at Toyota Park, where Katai will look to continue his impressive season.

Chicago Fire defender Johan Kappelhof involved in car crash on Thursday morning

kap.jpg
USA TODAY

Chicago Fire defender Johan Kappelhof involved in car crash on Thursday morning

Chicago Fire defender Johan Kappelhof was involved in a car accident on his way to practice Thursday morning that sent him to the hospital with minor injuries.

According to authorities and the Secretary of State’s Office, a box truck crashed into the Dutch player’s 2013 Volkswagen and another vehicle in the 5900 block of South Harlem. Kappelhof’s vehicle rolled over and two people fled from the scene.

The driver ran on foot and the passenger moved into the driver’s seat before driving the truck onto the Stevenson Expressway after the crash, officials said. After the damaged vehicle broke down, police say the same passenger tried to jump into the Illinois and Michigan Canal. Both were taken into custody.

Team officials said Kappelhof was treated and released from the hospital without indicators of a concussion. The 27-year-old was reportedly seen at Toyota Park after the crash and did not have any serious injuries. The other driver who was hit by the box truck was also treated, police said.

This season in league play with the Fire, Kappelhof has three assists in 16 games. The international product was a 2017 MLS All-Star and the Defensive Player of the Year for the Fire last season. He was signed in 2016 and has made one MLS Cup Playoffs appearance.