White Sox

After Texas throttling, White Sox searching for positives

jeff-samardzija-0602.png

After Texas throttling, White Sox searching for positives

ARLINGTON, Texas — The White Sox have been thwarted by inconsistency through the first two months of the 2015 season. It’s a hindrance that was plainly evident Tuesday night in Texas.

Fresh off a series victory over the first-place Houston Astros, Jeff Samardzija allowed nine runs — tied for a career high — in five innings as the White Sox were smoked by Texas, 15-2, at Globe Life Park. One game, no matter how bad, doesn’t represent a significant step in the wrong direction for the 23-27 White Sox, but a team that entered the season with legitimate playoff aspirations showed it still hasn’t put everything together yet.

“We made some good steps in Houston, we played well there,” center fielder Adam Eaton said, “just Jekyll and Hyde.”

At the heart of those early-season inconsistencies has been some bad baserunning and bad defense. While early-season advanced fielding stats aren’t always reliable, the White Sox entered Tuesday with a major league-worst -32 defensive runs saved while Ultimate Zone Rating has them pegged as the ninth-worst defense in baseball.

[MORE: White Sox remaining cautious with Jose Abreu’s finger]

FanGraphs also rates the White Sox as baseball’s worst baserunning team, too. But recently, the White Sox have started to see those two areas begin to be shored up.

“This has been a road trip where most of the games have been won on being able to play defense, catch the ball and baserunning, too,” manager Robin Ventura said. “We’ve had some aggressive (baserunning) decisions that worked out for us and when you start doing that, guys check in — it makes sense to them how we’re winning our games.

“For us defense has been there, even in Houston the two games we won because of pretty good defense and in critical spots. It’s more of what you want to see and guys get excited by that because that’s the way you should win them.”

While the White Sox defense had a sub-optimal Tuesday night — Adam LaRoche’s inability to field or knock down Joey Gallo’s sharp ground ball in the first inning opened the door for a four-run frame — it wasn’t the reason why they lost. The same goes for baserunning, though the White Sox only scattered seven hits and didn’t draw a walk, so there weren’t many of those chances.

Instead, Tuesday’s loss was defined by Texas’ bludgeoning of Samardzija, who had turned in strong starts in his prior three outings. Gallo led the way in his major league debut with four RBIs and a home run, while Shin-Soo Choo also homered and Carlos Corporan drove in five.

“We had no chance tonight,” Ventura said. “You can put this one behind you and play tomorrow. This one, you just get your ass kicked.”

[NBC SHOP: Get your White Sox gear right here]

The good news is Chris Sale starts Wednesday night for the White Sox, and all those positives that came out of Houston could have a chance to show themselves if the club ace doesn’t spot Texas an early lead.

There’s a belief that if the fielding and baserunning continue to trend in the right direction, and guys like Eaton and Melky Cabrera start playing like they’ve proven to be capable of, things could start to come together quickly. But so far, that hasn’t happened yet, and that’s why the White Sox are in last place and remain prone to thumping losses like Tuesday.

“We still have over 110 games left at this point,” general manager Rick Hahn said. “At the same time, we want to start seeing more of the consistency we’ve seen in terms of the upside of our performance, some of the guys with the track record we expect them to eventually reach very likely will get going or will continue to get going over the next few weeks, and that’s only going to help us in the long run. There certainly is plenty of time to put ourselves back in the position to win this thing, which was our goal from the start.” 

 

Charlie Tilson plays in Detroit for first time since getting injured in his MLB debut

Charlie Tilson plays in Detroit for first time since getting injured in his MLB debut

For over two years, Charlie Tilson was starting to look like his own version of "Moonlight" Graham, the player made famous in the movie "Field of Dreams" because he played in one major league game and never got to bat.

The White Sox traded for Tilson just before the trade deadline passed in 2016. Two days later he made his big league debut with the White Sox in Detroit. He got a single in his first at-bat, but left the game with an injury and missed the rest of the season. Tilson also missed all of the 2017 season and his MLB future was starting to come into question.

Back healthy, Tilson started this season in Triple-A Charlotte and hit .248 in 39 games when he got called up to replace Leury Garcia, who was placed on the disabled list. On Thursday, Tilson returned to a big league field for the first time in more than 20 months. He went 0-for-3 in a loss to Baltimore.

Friday marked a return to the site of Tilson's big league debut and the injury that made it such a brief stint. Tilson has now played three big league games, over the course of nearly 21 months, and two of them have been in Detroit.

Tilson went 1-for-4, meaning both his hits are in Comerica Park. The White Sox lost 5-4 after giving up three runs in the bottom of the eighth.

The White Sox sent down Carson Fulmer, so why isn't Lucas Giolito receiving the same treatment?

The White Sox sent down Carson Fulmer, so why isn't Lucas Giolito receiving the same treatment?

Lucas Giolito is having a rough go of things in his second year with the White Sox.

He came into the season with some pretty high expectations after posting a 2.38 ERA in seven starts at the end of the 2017 campaign and then dominating during spring training. But he’s done anything but dominate since this season started, and after one of his worst outings in Thursday’s 9-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles, he’s got a 7.53 ERA in 10 starts in 2018.

Giolito stuck around for only four outs Thursday, but he allowed the Orioles to do plenty of damage, giving up seven runs on six hits — two of which were back-to-back home runs to start the second inning — and three walks. He leads the American League with his 37 walks.

“I take what I do very seriously. I work as hard as I can at it,” Giolito said. “So when I experience failure like this, it’s kind of hard to deal with. All I can do is come back tomorrow, keep working on things and hopefully have a better one.”

All of Giolito’s struggles have fans wondering why the White Sox haven’t sent him down to Triple-A to work on his craft.

“I don’t foresee that at this particular time,” Rick Renteria said when asked if Giolito could be sent to Triple-A. “I think he’s just a young man who’s got to continue to minimize the emotional aspect of crossing from preparation into the game and staying focused, relaxed and hammer the zone with strikes. And truthfully it’s just first-pitch strike and get after the next one.”

The White Sox have already sent one young pitcher down in Carson Fulmer, who was having a nightmarish time at the big league level. Fulmer’s results were worse than Giolito’s on a regular basis. He got sent down after posting an 8.07 ERA in nine outings.

But hasn’t Giolito suffered through command issues enough to warrant some time away from the major league limelight? According to his manager, Giolito’s situation is vastly different than Fulmer’s.

“I don’t see them anywhere near each other,” Renteria said. “They’re two different competitors in terms of the outcomes that they’ve had. Lucas has at least had situations in which he might have struggled early and been able to gain some confidence through the middle rounds of his start and continue to propel himself to finish some ballgames, give us six or seven innings at times. So it’s two different guys.

“With Gio, I expect that we would have a nice clean start from the beginning, but when he doesn’t I still feel like if he gets through it he’ll settle down and continue to hammer away at what he needs to do in order to get deeper into a ballgame, and that was a little different with Carson. With Carson it was right from the get-go he was struggling, and he had a difficult time extending his outings after the third or fourth because it just kept getting too deep into his pitch count and not really hammering the strike zone as much.”

Renteria is not wrong. Giolito has had a knack to take a rough beginning to a start and turn it into five or six innings. Notably, he gave up a couple first-inning runs and walked seven hitters and still got the win against the Cubs a week and a half ago. And while his first-inning ERA is 10.80 and his second-inning ERA is 12.54, he’s pitched into at least the sixth inning in seven of his 10 starts.

Renteria’s point is that Giolito is learning how to shake off early damage and achieving the goal, most times out, of eating up innings and keeping his team in the game. Those are a couple valuable qualities to develop for a young pitcher. But are those the lone qualities that determine that Giolito is suited to continue his learning process at the major league level? His command remains a glaring problem, and both he and Renteria admitted that his problems are more mental than physical.

“The one thing everyone has to understand is we have to go beyond the physical and attack a little bit more of the mental and emotional and try to connect and slow that down,” Renteria said. “Those aspects are the ones that ultimately, at times, deal in the derailment of the physical action. So if we can kind of calm that down a little bit.

“He’s very focused. Giolito is high intensity. Nice kid but high-intensity young man when he gets on the mound. You might not believe it. He’s going 100 mph. So I think it goes to more just trusting himself, trusting the process, taking it truthfully one pitch at a time.”

Well, if a demotion to the minors isn’t likely, what about moving Giolito to the bullpen? Carlos Rodon and Chris Sale dipped their toes in bullpen waters before moving to the rotation. Could a reversal of that strategy help Giolito?

Well, the current state of the White Sox starting rotation — Fulmer in the minors, Miguel Gonzalez on the 60-day DL and pitchers like James Shields, Hector Santiago and Dylan Covey, who aren’t exactly long-term pieces, getting a lot of starts — doesn’t really allow for another piece to be removed.

“I know they have done it with Rodon and Sale,” Renteria said. “The difference is we don’t have the makeup of the starting rotation that those clubs had in order to put those guys in the ‘pen. We are in a different situation right now. Moving forward, is that something we can possibly do? Absolutely. It has been done with very good success.

“Right now we are in truly discovery mode and adjustment mode and adapting and trying to do everything we can to get these guys to develop their skill sets to be very usable and effective at the major league level and we are doing it to the best of our ability.”

There could be promise in the fact that Giolito has turned a season around as recently as last year. Before he was impressing on the South Side in August and September, he was struggling at Triple-A Charlotte. Even after he ironed things out, things had gotten off to a rocky enough start that he owned a 4.48 ERA and 10 losses when he was called up to the bigs.

It doesn’t seem Giolito will be going back to Charlotte, unless things continue to go in a dramatically poor direction. Right now, these are just more of the growing pains during this rebuilding process. “The hardest part of the rebuild” doesn’t just means wins and losses. It means watching some players struggle through speed bumps as they continue to develop into what the White Sox hope they’ll be when this team is ready to compete.