White Sox

Source: Samardzija to begin serving suspension Wednesday

jeff-samardzija-0505.png

Source: Samardzija to begin serving suspension Wednesday

Jeff Samardzija is expected to drop his appeal and begin serving a five-game suspension Wednesday, a baseball source said.

With Samardzija, Tuesday’s starter against the Detroit Tigers, out and perhaps Chris Sale starting his suspension on Thursday, Carlos Rodon almost certainly would make his first White Sox start during a three-game home series against the Cincinnati Reds that begins Friday.

Samardzija and Sale, who starts against the Tigers on Wednesday night, both received five-game suspensions stemming from an April 23 bench-clearing brawl against the Kansas City Royals. Four Royals players were suspended after the incident, including a seven-game penalty for Kansas City starter Yordano Ventura. White Sox catcher Tyler Flowers also received an undisclosed fine for what he described as making an aggressive move.

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn didn’t announce the team's plans to handle the situation whenever Samardzija and Sale start serving their suspensions.

[SHOP WHITE SOX: Get a Jeff Samardzija jersey right here]

“We’ve got a pretty good idea how it’s going to unfold,” Hahn said. “Shark is starting tonight, Sale tomorrow then we’ll go from there.”

Rodon said he hasn’t learned if he’d make a start this homestand, but the White Sox likely would need a sixth starting pitcher to eat up the extra day and he’s the best candidate. Working in long relief on Saturday, the left-handed rookie threw 63 pitches against the Minnesota Twins. He also threw 87 pitches in his two starts at Triple-A Charlotte last month and thinks he could throw between 90-100 pitches.

The White Sox haven’t announced any starters for their series against the Reds.

“I’m ready to do whatever it takes to win for this team,” Rodon said. “If it’s starting or it’s out of the bullpen or whatever role it is, I’ll do it.”

Samardzija would next pitch at Milwaukee on Monday.

Rick Hahn says 'there will be many' promotions for White Sox prospects this week

eloy-618.jpg
USA TODAY

Rick Hahn says 'there will be many' promotions for White Sox prospects this week

The White Sox have a number of highly-rated prospects performing well in the minors and some of them will be on the move within the system in a matter of days.

General manager Rick Hahn talked to reporters ahead of Monday night's White Sox game in Cleveland, a 6-2 loss, and gave the news. Well, sort of.

He didn't include names, but he did say that "there will be many" promotions after the minor league all-star games for Double-A and both Single-A teams take place on Tuesday.

Hahn added that Chris Getz, the White Sox player development director, will address the media before the White Sox host Oakland on Thursday about the moves.

If the all-star games are a reason to wait, it's safe to think some of the players involved will be playing in those games. So who could be on the move?

Double-A Birmingham has six all-stars: Eloy Jimenez, Zack Collins, Seby Zavala, Danny Mendick, Dane Dunning and Ian Hamilton. Jimenez is the name everyone wants to see on the move. He has torched the Southern League since getting off to a late start to the season due to injury. Hahn was asked about Jimenez, but didn't tip his hand as to whether he would be one of the promotions.

Dunning has been good in Double-A (2.78 ERA, 65 strikeouts in 58 1/3 innings), but was already promoted this season so he may not be on the move again.

Single-A Winston-Salem has five all-stars: Dylan Cease, Luis Alexander Basabe, Joel Booker, Bernardo Flores and Matt Foster. Cease, 22, could be due for a promotion with a 2.89 ERA and 82 strikeouts in 71 2/3 innings. There's also that outfield logjam the Dash, which won the first-half division title, have had all season.

Other than Basabe and Booker, Blake Rutherford and Alex Call are also noteworthy prospects being forced to split time in the Dash's outfield. If Jimenez is moving up to Triple-A, one or two names from this group could be on the move to take his spot in Birmingham.

This would especially make sense if highly-touted outfield prospect Luis Robert, who was supposed to be in Single-A Kannapolis for a short period before joining the Dash, is ready to move up as planned. Robert is hitting .289/.360/.400 in 13 games with the Intimidators.

Birmingham, Winston-Salem and Kannapolis were all off Monday. The various all-star games will take place Tuesday and the three teams will be off again Wednesday. The promotions could be announced Thursday ahead of Getz's scheduled media availability.

Zack Burdi is pitching off a mound again

burdi-618.jpg
USA TODAY

Zack Burdi is pitching off a mound again

Zack Burdi was thought of as a college pitcher who could make the major leagues quickly after he was drafted in 2016.

The White Sox drafted him 26th overall that year and it appeared his quick rise through the minors was going to come true. Burdi reached Triple-A Charlotte by the end of 2016 and had a 2.25 ERA with 22 strikeouts in 16 innings with the Knights.

However, he had Tommy John surgery in July and hasn't pitched in more than 11 months. The 23-year-old from Downers Grove is nearing his return and had video proof.

That's Burdi throwing off a mound, which means a rehab stint might not be far behind. Burdi may not getting into the full swing of things before the minor league season ends in early September, but this is a good sign for him being ready to go for spring training in 2019.

Before going on the disabled list, Burdi had a 4.05 ERA with 51 strikeouts and 17 walks in 33 1/3 innings with the Knights in 2017.