White Sox

Well-traveled rookie Junior Guerra joins White Sox

javyguerra060715.png

Well-traveled rookie Junior Guerra joins White Sox

Dan Jennings has been placed on the disabled list and the White Sox promoted 30-year-old rookie pitcher Junior Guerra to the majors.

Guerra pitched well in Venezuela last winter (3.46 ERA in 15 starts) and earned an invite to minor league camp with the White Sox. He has a 2.72 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 49 2/3 innings this season between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte. Prior to 2015, Guerra had pitched mostly in independent leagues since 2008.

“I was waiting for this moment for many years,” Guerra said through an interpreter. “That dream, that possibility to reach your dream, was my motivation.

“It’s a unique experience. It has been my dream my whole career. It’s surreal. It’s kind of surreal, but I’m very happy and glad to be here right now.”

[MORE: Danks, White Sox can't keep pace with Price, Tigers]

Jennings -- who went on the 15-day DL with the inflammation on the left side of his neck -- has a 7.83 ERA in 22 appearances this season.

“He’s had it for a little while, so we’re just going to take care of it now and get him back on track,” White Sox manager Robin Ventura said.

Guerra credits the stint in Venezuela for getting his dreams back on track. He first pitched for the Atlanta Braves farm system in 2006 and then for the New York Mets. After he sat out 2009 on the restricted list, Guerra pitched for the Wichita Wingnuts of the American Association in 2011 and 2013. He played for Yucatan in 2012 and spent 2014 in Italy before he played winter ball in Venezuela.

“It’s also a nice day when somebody gets to do that and come up here and get a shot at it,” Ventura said. “It’s says a lot about what they’re doing down in the minor leagues and getting these guys going and he’s pitching the best. You want to reward that.”

White Sox top prospect Eloy Jimenez likely to be shut down until spring training

eloy-618.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox top prospect Eloy Jimenez likely to be shut down until spring training

Eloy Jimenez will be ending his winter ball a bit earlier than expected. 

According to Bruce Levine of 670 The Score, the White Sox are likely to shut down Jimenez (quad injury) until spring training.

As Levine points out, the White Sox top prospect was scheduled to be shut down next week.

James Fegan of The Athletic reported on Saturday that Jimenez had been dealing with a quad injury and was day-to-day, so it's no surprise the White Sox want to play it safe with a guy they believe has superstar potential.

In eight games, Jimenez hit .448/.500/.759 for Gigantes in the Dominican Winter League.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.

White Sox acquire first baseman Yonder Alonso from Indians

White Sox acquire first baseman Yonder Alonso from Indians

After a lot of rumors and not many moves at the Winter Meetings, the White Sox made a notable trade after everyone left Las Vegas.

The White Sox traded for first baseman Yonder Alonso from Cleveland. The team announced the move on Saturday.

“Alonso provides a proven offensive performer from the left side of the plate and he also brings a veteran presence both on and off the field,” White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said in a press release. “Yonder has a solid reputation around the league as a professional and a great teammate.” 

Now that the trade is official, one thing worth noting with Alonso is that he is the brother-in-law of Manny Machado. This is after the White Sox were reportedly set to meet with Machado next week.

Outside of his connection to Machado, the trade is an odd fit without the context of the entire offseason yet. Alonso is 31 and coming off a bit of a down year by his standards. He hit .250/.317/.421 with 23 home runs and 83 RBIs last season with the Indians. The year before that he was an All-Star for the first time in his career while splitting the season between the Mariners and A's.

However, Alonso's 83 RBIs in 2018 were a career high. He is under contract for $8 million in 2019 and has a $9 million option (that includes a $1 million buyout) for 2020.

The intriguing part of this is that it brings into question Jose Abreu's future with the White Sox. There have been rumors about the Cuban first baseman potentially being involved in a trade this winter. Alonso's addition means something has to give with the first base/DH situation. After non-tendering Matt Davidson because he fell behind Abreu and Daniel Palka as players who only fit those two spots, adding another in Alonso wouldn't make sense unless Abreu or Palka are on the move.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale said that the White Sox have no intention of trading Abreu, for what it's worth.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.