White Sox

White Sox opponents no longer holding a 'track meet'

840521.png

White Sox opponents no longer holding a 'track meet'

Opposing teams no longer embarrass the White Sox on the basepaths.

Catcher A.J. Pierzynski expressed a similar sentiment to bench coach Mark Parent on Sunday afternoon, shortly after the White Sox completed a series victory over the Los Angeles Angels.

Even though the Angels had 45 opportunities in three games, Mike Trout and Co. -- who rank second in the American League with 90 steals -- only tried to swipe one bag against the White Sox, a team notorious for poor past performance in its limitation of base runners.

With more stress on the minute details, in this case pitchers paying closer attention to base runners, the White Sox have improved their run defense.

Though they always want to improve their thrown-out rate and have thus far, the emphasis in this case is for pitchers to do what they can to help limit what the opposition thinks it can do.

Now, a team that allowed the fourth-most stolen bases in the AL from 2005-2011 has only yielded 66 steals this season, which ranks fifth among the ALs 14 teams for fewest allowed.

(Pierzynski) mentioned to me after the series: That used to be a track meet for them, Parent said. Its not how many guys we throw out. Its how many attempts we keep them down to.

Over their last six games, opponents have tried to run against the White Sox four times. Those figures are more impressive because the Angels and Kansas City Royals rank second and fourth in the AL, respectively, with 173 combined steals this season.

Last season, the Angels attempted 10 steals and were successful eight times in their final five meetings with the White Sox. Pierzynski recalls how easily a leadoff walk or single would turn into a double or a triple sometimes as the opposition ran at will.

Last season, the White Sox allowed 135 stolen bases. If they maintain their current pace, the White Sox will allow only 97 thefts this season.

The last couple of years had gotten pretty embarrassing in how many bases we gave up and how easy it was for other teams to steal bases, Pierzynski said. I think weve significantly shut down the attempts and significantly shut down the percentages.

How they have done so began with a concerted effort in Glendale, Ariz. this spring, pitcher Philip Humber recalled.

The organization simply stressed the need for pitchers to pay more attention. Coaches asked pitchers to work on their slide steps, throws to first base at certain times and to vary their routines with runners on base all in order to give those base runners less certainty they can run whenever they please. This season, opponents have averaged .85 steal attempts per game after they attempted 1.06 thefts per game in 2011.

There seemed to be a lot more of an emphasis, Humber said.

It became a priority, Pierzynski said. When its a priority to the people higher up, it becomes more of a priority to the players and thats a good thing.

Another good aspect is the pitchers mindfulness gives their catchers a better chance to catch runners who steal. Pierzynski -- who threw out 24.1 percent of all steal attempts before this season -- has thrown out 25.7 percent (17 of 66) in 2012. Tyler Flowers has thrown out 11 of 38 (39.2 percent) attempts this season.

Their success is in part because the emphasis by White Sox pitchers hasnt disappeared, Parent said. Parent noted how pitching coach Don Cooper raved earlier this week about how effective newly acquired pitcher Francisco Liriano is using a slide step to the plate.

Its just trying to stay more committed to detail, little things that can help you win each game, Parent said. We came in with the whole thing that, Were going to do this and youve gotta get better at it, and the guys accepted it and they understand why. If youre going to bring something in, and you can tell them why and how its going to help them, theres a chance theyll work at it.

The White Sox sent down Carson Fulmer, so why isn't Lucas Giolito receiving the same treatment?

The White Sox sent down Carson Fulmer, so why isn't Lucas Giolito receiving the same treatment?

Lucas Giolito is having a rough go of things in his second year with the White Sox.

He came into the season with some pretty high expectations after posting a 2.38 ERA in seven starts at the end of the 2017 campaign and then dominating during spring training. But he’s done anything but dominate since this season started, and after one of his worst outings in Thursday’s 9-3 loss to the Baltimore Orioles, he’s got a 7.53 ERA in 10 starts in 2018.

Giolito stuck around for only four outs Thursday, but he allowed the Orioles to do plenty of damage, giving up seven runs on six hits — two of which were back-to-back home runs to start the second inning — and three walks. He leads the American League with his 37 walks.

“I take what I do very seriously. I work as hard as I can at it,” Giolito said. “So when I experience failure like this, it’s kind of hard to deal with. All I can do is come back tomorrow, keep working on things and hopefully have a better one.”

All of Giolito’s struggles have fans wondering why the White Sox haven’t sent him down to Triple-A to work on his craft.

“I don’t foresee that at this particular time,” Rick Renteria said when asked if Giolito could be sent to Triple-A. “I think he’s just a young man who’s got to continue to minimize the emotional aspect of crossing from preparation into the game and staying focused, relaxed and hammer the zone with strikes. And truthfully it’s just first-pitch strike and get after the next one.”

The White Sox have already sent one young pitcher down in Carson Fulmer, who was having a nightmarish time at the big league level. Fulmer’s results were worse than Giolito’s on a regular basis. He got sent down after posting an 8.07 ERA in nine outings.

But hasn’t Giolito suffered through command issues enough to warrant some time away from the major league limelight? According to his manager, Giolito’s situation is vastly different than Fulmer’s.

“I don’t see them anywhere near each other,” Renteria said. “They’re two different competitors in terms of the outcomes that they’ve had. Lucas has at least had situations in which he might have struggled early and been able to gain some confidence through the middle rounds of his start and continue to propel himself to finish some ballgames, give us six or seven innings at times. So it’s two different guys.

“With Gio, I expect that we would have a nice clean start from the beginning, but when he doesn’t I still feel like if he gets through it he’ll settle down and continue to hammer away at what he needs to do in order to get deeper into a ballgame, and that was a little different with Carson. With Carson it was right from the get-go he was struggling, and he had a difficult time extending his outings after the third or fourth because it just kept getting too deep into his pitch count and not really hammering the strike zone as much.”

Renteria is not wrong. Giolito has had a knack to take a rough beginning to a start and turn it into five or six innings. Notably, he gave up a couple first-inning runs and walked seven hitters and still got the win against the Cubs a week and a half ago. And while his first-inning ERA is 10.80 and his second-inning ERA is 12.54, he’s pitched into at least the sixth inning in seven of his 10 starts.

Renteria’s point is that Giolito is learning how to shake off early damage and achieving the goal, most times out, of eating up innings and keeping his team in the game. Those are a couple valuable qualities to develop for a young pitcher. But are those the lone qualities that determine that Giolito is suited to continue his learning process at the major league level? His command remains a glaring problem, and both he and Renteria admitted that his problems are more mental than physical.

“The one thing everyone has to understand is we have to go beyond the physical and attack a little bit more of the mental and emotional and try to connect and slow that down,” Renteria said. “Those aspects are the ones that ultimately, at times, deal in the derailment of the physical action. So if we can kind of calm that down a little bit.

“He’s very focused. Giolito is high intensity. Nice kid but high-intensity young man when he gets on the mound. You might not believe it. He’s going 100 mph. So I think it goes to more just trusting himself, trusting the process, taking it truthfully one pitch at a time.”

Well, if a demotion to the minors isn’t likely, what about moving Giolito to the bullpen? Carlos Rodon and Chris Sale dipped their toes in bullpen waters before moving to the rotation. Could a reversal of that strategy help Giolito?

Well, the current state of the White Sox starting rotation — Fulmer in the minors, Miguel Gonzalez on the 60-day DL and pitchers like James Shields, Hector Santiago and Dylan Covey, who aren’t exactly long-term pieces, getting a lot of starts — doesn’t really allow for another piece to be removed.

“I know they have done it with Rodon and Sale,” Renteria said. “The difference is we don’t have the makeup of the starting rotation that those clubs had in order to put those guys in the ‘pen. We are in a different situation right now. Moving forward, is that something we can possibly do? Absolutely. It has been done with very good success.

“Right now we are in truly discovery mode and adjustment mode and adapting and trying to do everything we can to get these guys to develop their skill sets to be very usable and effective at the major league level and we are doing it to the best of our ability.”

There could be promise in the fact that Giolito has turned a season around as recently as last year. Before he was impressing on the South Side in August and September, he was struggling at Triple-A Charlotte. Even after he ironed things out, things had gotten off to a rocky enough start that he owned a 4.48 ERA and 10 losses when he was called up to the bigs.

It doesn’t seem Giolito will be going back to Charlotte, unless things continue to go in a dramatically poor direction. Right now, these are just more of the growing pains during this rebuilding process. “The hardest part of the rebuild” doesn’t just means wins and losses. It means watching some players struggle through speed bumps as they continue to develop into what the White Sox hope they’ll be when this team is ready to compete.

Danny Farquhar to throw out the first pitch before White Sox game on June 1

0421-danny-farquhar.jpg
AP

Danny Farquhar to throw out the first pitch before White Sox game on June 1

In another example of how amazing Danny Farquhar’s recovery has been, the pitcher will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the White Sox game on June 1.

Farquhar suffered a brain hemorrhage from a ruptured aneurysm during the sixth inning of the team’s April 20 game against the Houston Astros. But his recovery has been astounding, and he was discharged from the hospital on May 7. Farquhar’s neurosurgeon expects him to be able to pitch again in future seasons.

Farquhar has been back to visit his teammates at Guaranteed Rate Field a couple times since leaving the hospital. June 1 will mark his return to a big league mound, even if it’s only for a ceremonial first pitch with his wife and three children. Doctors, nurses and staff from RUSH University Medical Center will be on hand for Farquhar’s pitch on June 1.

The White Sox announced that in celebration of Farquhar’s recovery, they will donate proceeds from all fundraising efforts on June 1 to the Joe Niekro Foundation, an organization committed to supporting patients and families, research, treatment and awareness of brain aneurysms.