White Sox

White Sox-Orioles postponed due to tension in Baltimore

camden-yards-white-sox-orioles-insider-slide.png

White Sox-Orioles postponed due to tension in Baltimore

BALTIMORE -- Two days after protests kept fans inside the park for their safety, Monday night’s White Sox-Baltimore Orioles game was canceled after another day of unrest.

The Orioles announced the decision to cancel the opener of a three-game series with the White Sox about 50 minutes before the scheduled first pitch as protests over the death of Freddie Gray turned violent in the Baltimore. Fewer than 1,000 fans had entered Oriole Park at Camden Yards when the announcement was made and the two teams haven’t yet decided upon a makeup date.

With protests entering a second week after the April 19 death of Gray, who was laid to rest Monday morning, New Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said the teams haven’t made any decisions about the remaining two games, but all alternatives -- perhaps even moving the series elsewhere -- would be discussed.

[MORE: White Sox jump on rare Moustakas error in win over Royals]

“The decision was reached after consultation with local officials,” said Manfred, in town for previously scheduled meetings with both clubs. “We feel like we made the decision that would provide us the greatest possible security in terms of protecting the fans, the players, the umpires, everybody involved.”

“At this point we’re looking at every possible alternative in terms of completing the schedule in a timely way and making sure the games are played in a security situation that is safe for the fans. We’re going to look at every alternative at this point.”

According to the Baltimore Sun, Monday’s riots had already resulted in 15 injuries to local police officers and 27 arrests by 7:45 p.m. CST. Local schools will be closed on Tuesday and Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency, which activates the Maryland National Guard.

A peaceful protest on Saturday night turned violent and resulted in fans attending that evening’s Orioles-Boston Red Sox game being kept inside the park for their own safety. Dempsey’s Brew Pub and Restaurant, which is attached to the ballpark, was slightly damaged. 

One possibility is Tuesday's start time being moved up to the afternoon, a decision that would be made early Tuesday morning. But if the game isn't moved up it could potentially be moved to another venue after Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake imposed a citywide curfew for Tuesday night from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. 

[NBC SHOP: Get the latest White Sox gear here]

Located about 40 miles away, Nationals Park is vacant this week as the Washington Nationals are on a road trip. Citizens Bank Park, the home of the Philadelphia Phillies, is also vacant and less than 90 miles away.

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said his club is open to whatever MLB and the Orioles suggest.

“We’ve been talking about this since the middle of the afternoon that there was the chance this could happen tonight and if it did there certainly are far greater priorities than playing one baseball game,” Hahn said. “I do know everything is on the table to postponing to later in the season to perhaps changing venues or start times. Whatever. We’re flexible. We’re here. When they feel it’s safe and prudent and the right thing to a baseball game we’re here and ready to play.”

When media access began at 3:40 p.m. (EST), the eyes of nearly everyone in a White Sox uniform in the clubhouse -- from Hahn and the coaching staff to players and clubhouse attendants -- were transfixed upon the horrifying images of violence from several local news broadcasts. Most players were weary of the situation, one the Baltimore Sun’s Twitter handle described as a “mob,” taking place about four miles from the stadium. Ninety minutes later, players and coaches couldn’t help but notice helicopters flying over the stadium as they stretched for batting practice.

[MORE WHITE SOX: White Sox impressed with David Robertson’s win/save double]

Shortly after the announcement, players and coaches quickly exited the ballpark with a police escort.

“It’s a little scary,” outfielder Adam Eaton said. “In all of our minds, we don’t want to be out there and have a situation go down where somebody may be in danger or get hurt. It’s in the best of everyone’s interest.

“We’re just trying to get home to the hotel and be safe. I have some family here. I know some other guys have family here. We’re just trying to get out of harm’s way and be safe.

“We’re going to run I think. I think there are some police officers who would escort us over there, so we’re going to hang out with those guys and they’ll help protect us.”

Sox Drawer Q&A: Is this the White Sox 'Jon Lester' offseason?

1013_jon_lester.jpg
USA TODAY

Sox Drawer Q&A: Is this the White Sox 'Jon Lester' offseason?

Back for another round of questions here in the Sox Drawer. Let's go.

Q: Do you believe this is the Sox "Lester" offseason where they make a large investment in a player for the future? Or are we still one year away from seeing this? — @BCurley3

CG: That's a question many White Sox fans are wondering about. And by the "Lester" signing, I assume you are referring to the likes of Manny Machado or Bryce Harper. I'd like to think that if the White Sox have a desire to sign a big-name free agent, they will make every attempt to do it now and not wait for the 2020 free agents, even if it's coming off a 100-loss season. As general manager Rick Hahn put it in his season-ending press conference, "You can't always control when certain players become available. You can say in 2020 or 2021 we expect to be this, and we know we are going to need X. You can't look at the projected free agent and say that player will be available, much less that player will be a White Sox when the time comes." It might turn out that the White Sox don't sign that marquee free agent this offseason, but going off what Hahn said, I believe they will go all-in when their targeted "Jon Lester" is available.

Q: If you had your choice, would the White Sox sign Manny Machado or Nolan Arenado? — @Dehhmac_

CG: I'll take either. Arenado gets the edge defensively. Machado has the advantage offensively. One stat about Arenado that gives me some pause is his career home/away splits. At Coors Field, he's slashing .320/.374/.609. Away from Coors Field, he's at .263/.318/.469. He's still a great player, but his numbers are inflated due to the higher elevation in Denver. If they don't sign him to a contract extension this winter, I'm curious to see if the Rockies listen to trade offers during the Winter Meetings like the Orioles did with Machado last year. The Rockies are much more competitive than the Orioles, so they might decide to go for it one more time with Arenado. If not, a crazy Winter Meetings just got crazier.

Q: I have long expected this to be the offseason when the Sox start signing free agents. However, lately, I've heard about possible big-name trade potentials. Do you expect trades this early in the rebuild or mainly acquisition through free agency? — @ToddHertz

CG: At some point, the White Sox will probably dip into their farm system to acquire major league upgrades where they see fit. Because there were so many injuries to prospects last season, I'm not sure they've seen enough to know exactly what they have to make those kind trades just yet. However, the one position in the minors where they seem very deep right now is in the outfield. That could be an area they could subtract from to add elsewhere. I think the White Sox timed their rebuild very well with free agency. Last year's lackluster free-agent class was a great time to be on the sidelines. The next two winters will have much better talent available. The White Sox don't have much on the books and will be in a good financial position to make upgrades.

Q: After Eloy comes up in April who's the next guy in waiting and when does he come up? —  @franknacchio19

CG: With two open spots in the rotation, we could see a few prospects compete for starting jobs in spring training. Jordan Guerrero, Jordan Stephens and Spencer Adams are possibilities. All three of them finished the season at Charlotte and could be close to knocking on the door. The next big name after that would seemingly be Dylan Cease, who if he continues to pitch like he did this past season will probably be on the Michael Kopech timeline to the majors, and Kopech came up in August.

Q: If the rumors are true and the Diamondbacks dismantle their roster, which player on their roster makes sense for this White Sox team long term? —  @mr_zablocki

Q: Who would you hypothetically trade for Goldshmidt? — @DaRealScaletta​​​​​​​

CG: Looking at the Diamondbacks' roster, there aren't many natural fits with the White Sox rebuild. Where's the All-Star third baseman on a rebuilding team with a four-year, team-friendly contract? I like Zack Greinke, but he's going to be 35-years-old and has three years and $104 million left on his contract. A 27-year-old Robbie Ray would be solid, but he's under team control for only two more years. Paul Goldschmidt is an all-world first baseman with three Gold Gloves, but he's a free agent after next season. Depending on what the White Sox do with Jose Abreu, who also has one year left on his contract, maybe they go after Goldschmidt next offseason if they don't re-sign Abreu.

Q: Tell a Yolmer story. — @NJBooth20

CG: Yolmer was wearing this cool T-shirt in the clubhouse this past season. On the front, it said "play hard" with a photo of him making Mickey Mouse ears. On the back it said "have fun," and there's the photo of him pouring Gatorade all over himself. I asked him if I could have one of those T-shirts. He said, "50 dollars." I countered with, "How about 30?" With perfect comedic timing, Yolmer came back with, "Make it 10." He might not be the best bargainer in the world, but Yolmer Sanchez is definitely one of the funniest people around.

Q: Why did Nagy run the ball on 3rd and 4?? — @rypie182​​​​​​​

CG: Not sure.

Q: Can I leave a voicemail? Too drunk to tweet. — @HurriKayne26​​​​​​​

CG: Rough Bears game.

Q: Who will be the biggest surprise and/or the greatest improvement for next season's team? — @nicklicious33​​​​​​​

CG: Good question. If he's able to come back, I can think of one person in particular who would be quite an incredible surprise in 2019. That's Danny Farquhar. At home in California recovering from his near-death brain aneurysm, Farquhar is training with the hopes of pitching in the majors again, possibly as soon as 2019. I wouldn't put it past him. He's a special person who has been defying the odds since that horrific night in April. It would be great to see!

Thanks again for all of your questions. We'll do it again next week.

Sorry, White Sox fans dreaming of Patrick Corbin: His free-agent destination might already be booked

1015_patrick_corbin.jpg
USA TODAY

Sorry, White Sox fans dreaming of Patrick Corbin: His free-agent destination might already be booked

For the biggest dreamers among the White Sox faithful, here's how this offseason might be playing out.

Rick Hahn said the team will make some additions to the pitching staff. So for those dreamers, it's a rush to the top of the list of free-agent starting pitchers, right? Why not hook one of the biggest fish in the pond?

The top of that list looks like this: Clayton Kershaw (should he choose to opt out of his deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers and seek a new, more lucrative one), Dallas Keuchel and Patrick Corbin. Some might even have those last two names flipped, with Corbin, coming off an All-Star season with the Arizona Diamondbacks, second only to one of the best to ever throw a baseball.

The White Sox might not be capable of outbidding baseball's biggest spenders, and that's without even mentioning that they might simply not be looking to ink a hurler to a long-term contract. After all, that's what all those talented prospects are for, right? Assembling the rotation of the future? Carlos Rodon, Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez are all already part of the 2019 staff. Michael Kopech, when he's done recovering from Tommy John surgery, will join them in 2020. And Dylan Cease was just named MLB Pipeline's minor league pitcher of the year. With all that in mind, any offseason additions to the rotation for 2019 might simply be one-year fill-ins.

But fans often like to dream big, and a lot of them have Corbin on their wish list.

That's not surprising when you look at his numbers. He threw 200 innings last season and struck out 246 batters while finishing with a 3.15 ERA, those last two numbers the best of his six-year big league career. He's 29 years old and a long-term deal would figure to have him in the starting rotation as the White Sox plan to shift from rebuilding mode to contention mode.

Just one problem: There's plenty of belief out there that Corbin's destination this winter has already been booked.

This has been a talking point for a while now, as the Yankees tried to bring Corbin to the Bronx via trade last offseason. They're expected to try to do so again, this time via free agency, as they've got a ton of money to spend. Corbin was quoted in the Nightengale story from April saying: "It would definitely be great to play there. I grew up a Yankee fan."

Sorry to burst your bubbles, White Sox fans. But don't blame me. Blame the Yankees, which seems to be becoming a frequent refrain. If Didi Gregorius' elbow injury means Manny Machado ends up in the Bronx this winter, too, White Sox fans might drop the Cubs as Public Enemy No. 1.

The White Sox have enough hurdles to clear in any pursuit of one of the game's top free agents: They have to compete with baseball's traditional big spenders, and they have to try and beat win-now pitches with a pitch of planned — though not yet arrived — long-term success. It's not like that hasn't been a winning battle before, though, as the rebuilding Cubs got Jon Lester to believe in their future and brought him in to help make their transition from rebuild to championship contention.

But throw in the hurdle of a history between a player and another team, and it makes it an even harder job.

The White Sox will be making some additions this offseason, though they might not be the ones fans are dreaming about. But not landing the winter's biggest fish doesn't mean the organization's biggest, most important dream of building a perennial contender on the South Side is going anywhere.