White Sox

White Sox: Scott Carroll ready to help team, search for stolen car

scott-carroll-sox-insider-0916.png

White Sox: Scott Carroll ready to help team, search for stolen car

Scott Carroll is here to bail out an overtaxed White Sox bullpen.

And perhaps find his stolen car.

The pitcher returned to the White Sox on Wednesday after he was promoted from Triple-A Charlotte, about 10 days later than he originally hoped. In the interim, Carroll -- who has a 3.41 ERA in 29 innings in the majors and a 3.47 ERA in 83 innings at Charlotte -- returned to Chicago on Sept. 8 to discover his sports-utility vehicle had been stolen from Wicker Park. Carroll left the car in Chicago this summer and planned to drive it around town this month or return home to Kansas City after Charlotte’s season ended on Sept. 6.

“So that was disheartening to come back to,” Carroll said. “I have been dealing with that, but I made my way back to Kansas City safe and sound.

[SHOP: Gear up, White Sox fans!]

“Stolen near Wicker Park off of Damen Avenue, so if anyone knows of a Cadillac Escalade driving around there, that would help out. I was gone in Charlotte the whole time, and it was stolen while I was gone. I came back to get my stuff and drive back home, and it was gone.”

Carroll had also been disappointed to discover his 2015 season was done until Wednesday’s promotion. In between calls to the city of Chicago to see if his car had been towed (it wasn’t), Carroll played catch with friends at home just in case the White Sox required his services.

[MORE: Adam Eaton wants to move on after bad play in blowout loss]

The call arrived came on Wednesday morning after a pair of three-inning starts by Chris Sale and Jeff Samardzija were sandwiched around a 14-inning game on Monday. With his relievers running on fumes, White Sox manager Robin Ventura elected to pitch Leury Garcia and Alexei Ramirez in Tuesday’s game, the first time the White Sox have used two position players on the mound in a game since 1902.

Though he hasn’t pitched since Sept. 3, Carroll believes he’s stretched out enough to go four or five innings if needed.

“I was absolutely anticipating I was coming back,” Carroll said. “I was disappointed to hear I wasn’t the first wave of people to be called up. But it’s part of the business, and obviously I’m glad to be back and help the team out any way I can.”

White Sox catcher Welington Castillo will reportedly be suspended 80 games for use of PED

0521-welington-castillo.jpg
USA TODAY

White Sox catcher Welington Castillo will reportedly be suspended 80 games for use of PED

For the first time since new rules came into effect in 2005, the White Sox will reportedly see a major league player suspended for violating baseball’s ban on performance-enhancing drugs.

Welington Castillo, the team’s biggest offseason addition, will be suspended for 80 games, according to a pair of reports.

Manager Rick Renteria said after Wednesday's win over the visiting Baltimore Orioles that he couldn't comment on the reports. Castillo played in Wednesday's game, during which the news broke.

"For me, those at this particular moment are rumors," Renteria said. "MLB is the one that is in charge of that type of stuff. Until they release anything officially I can’t really comment on that."

The veteran catcher, slashing .267/.309/.466 with six home runs and 15 RBIs in 33 games this season, was brought in over the winter to help the rebuilding White Sox in both the short and long term. He had a career year offensively and defensively in 2017, and he was acquired to help develop a young pitching staff featuring big pieces of the future like Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez, and also to swing a solid bat and help this young team learn how to win.

If Castillo proves productive over the course of his two-year deal, the White Sox have a team option that could keep Castillo on the South Side for the 2020 season. That could make him a piece of the puzzle for when the rebuild reaches its apex and the team is ready to start contending for championships. But this news has the potential to change that dramatically.

Zack Collins and Seby Zavala are both having strong offensive seasons at Double-A Birmingham and figure to be the long-term answers behind the plate. But Castillo’s absence from any long-term picture could leave the White Sox without a veteran safety net in the years ahead, depending on how the team decides to react to this news now and in the coming seasons.

Castillo’s absence for the next 80 games could also have an impact on the development of aforementioned pitchers like Giolito and Lopez. Lopez, in particular, has been throwing really well this season, and Giolito has control issues to work through, as he leads the American League in walks. Without the veteran catcher brought in to help those guys transition to the major league level, how will the transition change for those two pitchers?

Omar Narvaez would be the logical choice to take over as the No. 1 catcher. As for who could take Castillo's place on the major league roster, the options are limited. Kevan Smith, who was edged out by Narvaez for the backup-catching job in spring training, is on the disabled list at Triple-A Charlotte, placed there Tuesday. The aforementioned Zavala is also injured at Double-A Birmingham, and it seems far too early to rush Collins to the big leagues. Alfredo Gonzalez is a catcher on the roster at Charlotte. A spot on the 40-man roster would need to be freed up to bring him to Chicago.

SportsTalk Live Podcast: What should be the plan to call up the White Sox prospects?

rick_hahn_usa_today.jpg
USA TODAY

SportsTalk Live Podcast: What should be the plan to call up the White Sox prospects?

SportsTalk Live is on location for White Sox Authentic Fan Night. Phil Rogers (MLB Network), Mark Carman (WGN Radio), David DeJesus and Ozzie Guillen join Kap to talk about Manny Machado Mania, Anthony Rizzo’s struggles and the White Sox plans for calling up their best prospects. 

Listen to the full episode at this link or in the embedded player below: