The upcoming high school football season should have some quality talent under center. Here are my top five quarterbacks within Illinois for the Class of 2021.
1. J.J. McCarthy - Nazareth Academy, 6-foot-2 195 pounds (Michigan): McCarthy has added more weight and muscle this offseason and is on track to become one of the best quarterbacks to ever hail from the Land of Lincoln.
2. Athan Kaliakmanis - Antioch, 6-foot-4, 195 pounds (Minnesota): Kaliakmanis saw his 2019 junior season cut short to injury. He is a terrific all-around athlete who is primed for a huge senior season.
3. Tyler Macon - East St. Louis, 6-foot-0, 185 pounds (Missouri): Macon was the state's MVP in 2019 as he lead the Flyers to a 14-0 record and a 6A state title. Missouri lands another top-notch name from the Metro East region.
4. Justin Lynch - Mount Carmel, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds (Temple): It’s very likely that Lynch will remind you of his older brother/head coach Jordan Lynch: a tough, hard-nosed dual-threat quarterback. The sky is the limit for Justin.
5. Ethan Hampton - Aurora Christian, 6-foot-3 185 pounds (NIU): Hampton has been a highly productive player for the Eagles. He has an excellent arm, touch and accuracy while also serving as a threat running the football.
On The Rise?
Michael Brescia - Hinsdale Central, 6-foot-3 195 pounds: Brescia has the size, look and overall physical tools to develop into a FBS-level signal caller.
Tommy Rittenhouse - Wheaton St. Francis, 6-foot-0 180 pounds: Rittenhouse is an electric playmaker who was on a serious roll in 2019 before suffering an injury.
Anthony Sayles - Niles Notre Dame, 6-foot-3 200 pounds: Sayles is also a standout in basketball for the Dons. He could play a few different positions in college.
Ty Michael - O'Fallon, 6-foot-2, 175 pounds: Michael gets bigger, stronger and better every time I see him in person.
Reed Braundmeier - Breese Mater Dei, 6-foot-3, 190 pounds: Downstate signalcaller is a big, strong and accurate passer who crushes the all-important eyeball test.