White Sox

Cubs, Dempster cant stop the bleeding

773106.png

Cubs, Dempster cant stop the bleeding

PITTSBURGH Ryan Dempster has tunnel vision, never looking beyond his next start, five days out.

That helps explain why Dempsters lasted this long, rebounding from Tommy John surgery, becoming a successful closer and transitioning back to the rotation.

For everyone else, its hard to ignore the bigger picture thats forming around the Cubs, whove now lost 10 games in a row, but have an Opening Day starter that will be in demand.

Dempster is now winless in his last 17 starts after Fridays 1-0 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park. He pitched into the eighth inning, and lowered his ERA to 2.14, but couldnt stop the bleeding.

It doesnt make coming to the ballpark fun, Dempster said afterward. We just got to fight through it. It happens to a lot of teams. You go through losing streaks and thats where you find out a lot about yourself. You just got to continue to battle.

The Cubs (15-30) hadnt had a double-digit losing streak since 1997, when they lost their first 14 games that season. This was supposed to be a transition year, but the optimism about making things interesting seems to have evaporated.

At the moment, team president Theo Epstein, general manager Jed Hoyer and their baseball operations staff have turned their attention to the amateur draft in June.

Manager Dale Sveum is in his first year on the job, but hes been in the business long enough to know that the next six-to-eight weeks will be pivotal.

You get to that point of the year where decisions (are made), Sveum said. You get to the point where if youre not playing well, things start changing a lot. Obviously, right now, the front office is focused on doing the right things in that draft and getting the right people.

Thats part of the whole plan to build through the system. Its a lot of pressure right now to make those decisions. Its not that easy to get talent, find out the character of the talent. Its a crapshoot sometimes.

Paul Maholm who will try to break the losing streak on Saturday night at PNC Park waited out a few rebuilding plans here. The veteran left-hander had spent his entire career in the Pirates organization before signing with the Cubs last winter.

Its a different animal, just because if youre in Chicago, you have the payroll, Maholm said. Obviously, with Theo and Jed coming in, theres probably going to be a little bit of patience, but its not going to last very long. The guys in the locker room have to go out and win games.

Dempster sat on the bench next to Kerry Wood and his son last week after Kid K struck out one final batter and walked off into retirement.

Dempster, who turned 35 this month, was born 44 days before Wood in 1977, and they became close friends over the years. But it looks like Dempster still has plenty of bullets left. Its just a question of where he will be firing them.

Dempster is in his walk year and has no-trade rights. Changes to the collective bargaining agreement make it far more complicated and much less likely that the Cubs would pick up draft-pick compensation if he signed elsewhere.

Think a contender could use a strong veteran presence like this?

Dempster has accounted for at least six innings in each of his eight starts. Hes allowed two runs or less in six of those games. He still hasnt notched a victory since last August.

Hes pitched so great and we feel bad that we cant help him, outfielder Alfonso Soriano said. He pitched an unbelievable game and we didnt do anything offensively to win.

The Cubs went 0-for-12 with runners in scoring position and have scored in just four of their last 56 innings. In the ninth, the Pirates (21-24) watched closer Joel Hanrahan put runners on the corners before striking out David DeJesus and Starlin Castro to end the game.

You got to find a way to keep your head up and keep plugging forward, Dempster said, because that team on the other side of the field, the other 28 teams in the league, they dont feel sorry for you. They dont care. You cant feel sorry for yourself. You got to keep fighting through it.

Are the White Sox about to sign Marcell Ozuna or not?

Are the White Sox about to sign Marcell Ozuna or not?

Depending on which report you choose to believe, the White Sox could be on the verge of filling the void in their outfield with one of the bigger names on this winter’s free-agent market.

Dominican reporter Frank Castillo tweeted Saturday that the White Sox will sign Marcell Ozuna, planning to announce the free-agent deal Monday.

Well, that was followed up by a report from The Score’s Bruce Levine, who said the White Sox are not about to sign Ozuna.

So there’s that.

The White Sox were connected to Ozuna earlier this offseason, as well as more recently, with MLB.com’s Jon Morosi writing last week that the team had interest in Japanese import Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, but were waiting to hear on the decisions of Ozuna and fellow free agent Nicholas Castellanos first.

Ozuna turned heads with his fantastic 2017 season for the Miami Marlins, when he slashed .312/.376/.548 with 37 homers and 124 RBIs. Since being dealt to the St. Louis Cardinals, Ozuna hit .263/.327/.452 with 52 homers and 177 RBIs in two seasons.

The White Sox have a pressing need in right field, making it little surprise that they’ve been tied to numerous options, including Ozuna, Castellanos and Joc Pederson. Ozuna, though, exclusively played left field in St. Louis. Were the White Sox to add him, would they insist he play right field? They’ve expressed little to no interest in moving Eloy Jimenez out of left field.

It’s rumor season, and there should be plenty more of them with the Winter Meetings starting Monday in San Diego. The White Sox are expected to continue the aggressive approach they’ve displayed already this winter with the signing of Yasmani Grandal and their reported high bid to Zack Wheeler, who took less money to pitch for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.

Blackhawks recall Dylan Sikura from Rockford

dylan_sikura_usa_today.jpg
USA Today

Blackhawks recall Dylan Sikura from Rockford

The Blackhawks recalled forward Dylan Sikura from the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League, the team announced Sunday morning. In a corresponding move for financial reasons, Anton Wedin was reassigned to Rockford.

Sikura leads the IceHogs in goals (nine), points (16) and shots on goal (99) in 22 games this season. He was on a three-game point streak (one goal, two assists) prior to the call-up.

Sikura has appeared in 38 games across two seasons for the Blackhawks and is still searching for his first career NHL goal. He has 11 assists and 61 shots on goal over that span, averaging 11:34 of ice time.

Sunday's game against the Arizona Coyotes will be Sikura's first with the Blackhawks this season after starting the 2019-20 campaign in Rockford.

Attention Dish and Sling customers! You have lost your Blackhawks games on NBC Sports Chicago. To switch providers, visit mysportschicago.com.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Blackhawks easily on your device.