Cubs

MLB Players Association is 'disappointed' with league's financial proposal

MLB Players Association is 'disappointed' with league's financial proposal

Major League Baseball has a new approach to reducing the financial toll of playing without fans. And it's highly unpopular within the players association.

The economic proposal the owners presented the MLBPA on Tuesday included additional pay cuts, on top of the players’ already prorated salaries, according to multiple reports. Those cuts would affect all players but range depending on the player's pay, with the highest-paid players taking on the largest burden.

The players association characterized the proposal as “extremely disappointing,” and described the cuts as “massive.”

ESPN reported that the highest-paid players could receive less than 40 percent of their full-season salaries. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported that it could be as low as 20-30 percent for the likes of Mike Trout, Gerrit Cole, Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer.

“We made a proposal to the union that is completely consistent with the economic realities facing our sport," MLB said in a statement. "We look forward to a responsive proposal from the MLBPA.”
Tuesday’s proposal abandoned the idea of a 50-50 revenue split, which the owners floated two weeks ago. Although the revenue split was not formally presented to the players, when reports of the owner’s plan became public, it received immediate pushback.

First of all, the union opposed a system associated with salary-capped leagues. The players association has been consistent for decades in its stance against a salary cap.

Secondly, the owners and players were at odds over the interpretation of their March agreement. In late March, players agreed to prorated salaries for the upcoming shortened season. The owners claimed that the language of the agreement allowed them to revisit the issue of player pay if the season had to go on without fans. The union disagreed.

MLB’s first financial proposal to the players association avoids a clash over revenue splitting but does nothing to address the latter concern.

Pay cuts are just one aspect of the upcoming financial negotiations.  Tension in financial negotiations has revealed just how far the players and owners are from agreement on health-and-safety protocols as well.

Gordon Wittenmyer contributed to the reporting of this story.

Yadier Molina, Paul DeJong among Cardinals to test positive for COVID-19

0719-yadier-molina.jpg
USA TODAY

Yadier Molina, Paul DeJong among Cardinals to test positive for COVID-19

Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina and shortstop Paul DeJong are of the seven St. Louis players and six staff members who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last week.

Six of those players gave St. Louis permission to disclose their names. In addition to Molina and DeJong, the club announced Tuesday pitchers Junior Fernández and Kodi Whitley, first baseman Rangel Ravelo and shortstop Edmundo Sosa tested positive.

The Cardinals released statements from Molina and DeJong:

"I am saddened to have tested positive for COVID-19, even after adhering to safety guidelines that were put in place," Molina said. "I will do everything within my power to return as soon as possible for Cardinals fans, the city of St. Louis and my teammates. As I recover, I request that you please respect my privacy and family in my absence from the team."

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

"I am disappointed to share that I have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, even though I followed team protocols," DeJong said. "I will approach my healing as I do all other things in my life — with education, commitment, and persistence. I look forward to re-joining the team soon and ask that you respect my privacy at this time."

The Cardinals' reportedly have no new positive tests on Tuesday. The tentative plan is for them to resume play against the Cubs this weekend.

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

Report: No new COVID-19 cases for St. Louis Cardinals, door open to play Cubs

Report: No new COVID-19 cases for St. Louis Cardinals, door open to play Cubs

Jon Heyman reports that the St. Louis Cardinals had no new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday.

This comes after 13 members of their traveling party had tested positive through Monday, which put the future of their schedule in jeopardy, including their first series with the Cubs.

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

The Cardinals haven’t played since July 29, postponing seven games along the way. The earliest they would be allowed to play is Friday to start their series against the Cubs.

The Cardinals are the second team to face a major outbreak since the outset of MLB’s regular season. The Miami Marlins had 20 people test positive starting on July 24, forcing them to postpone 10 games. In addition, the Phillies had two clubhouse workers test positive for COVID-19 after hosting the Marlins.

There have been no reports of any Cubs or White Sox players testing positive for COVID-19 since the regular season began.

RELATED: Report: St. Louis Cardinals went to casino before COVID-19 outbreak

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.