Cubs

MLB, union, Cubs have a few more questions to answer before agreement

MLB, union, Cubs have a few more questions to answer before agreement

Go ahead, celebrate. Just don’t get your hopes up.

But feel free to finally exhale and enjoy the moment.

But keep your guard up and don’t fall for anything.

How else is a rationale baseball fan supposed to react to the news of allegedly real, honest-to-goodness progress between baseball owners and players after commissioner Rob Manfred and union head Tony Clark met for “several hours” Tuesday — face-to-face, no less?

MORE: Reports: MLB and union talking, another proposal made for 2020 season

“I believe it when I see it,” Cubs catcher Willson Contreras tweeted after the news broke Wednesday.

Yeah, that’s how.

At the same time, it’s hard to imagine looking at the events of the past two days without finding at least a glimmer of optimism that a 2020 Major League Baseball season is on the horizon.

Because canceling the season never was really an option, anyway, right? No matter what the commissioner told ESPN on Monday before getting immediate and severe blowback and calling Clark to ask for the meeting.

But the union was quick to issue a six-word response amid breathless reports of progress and imminent accord: “Reports of an agreement are false.”

So take the latest news for whatever it’s worth. And take deep breaths, moments of meditation or shots of single-malt beverages to navigate the roller coaster ride until we see what results from the proposal that MLB delivered to the union on Wednesday.

And know that at least a few important questions (beyond “what took so damn long”) remain to be answered no matter what kind of “framework” Manfred and the union might be dealing with, even beyond MLB’s important first step of assuring full pro-rated pay to players for the season:

1. Does anybody remember the coronavirus? For all the rancorous, miserable, fraught talks and non-talks the past five weeks over economic issues, could it actually be possible that was always the easy part of pulling off a season — even starting one — this summer?

RELATED: Why one medical expert remains skeptical of MLB's COVID-19 precautions

By the time talks turned especially contentious last month, the idea of safety protocols seemed at least straightforward, if not perfect. But since then, Florida, Arizona, Texas and Georgia — home to 20 percent of MLB — have experienced sharp increases in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. Because at least one leaked plan for the three regional divisions involves the Atlanta Braves joining the Midwest teams, all three regions could be exposed to these states’ heightened risks even with entirely intra-region schedules.

Not to mention the fact that Chicago’s two teams reside in the county with the most cases of any U.S. county — by more than a 10 percent margin over the second-hardest hit county (Los Angeles).

Reports already have surfaced in the last week that multiple players on 40-man rosters and at least one pitching coach have tested positive for the virus.

Keeping enough players and staff safe long enough to complete even a shortened season — never mind a 16-team expanded playoffs in October — suddenly looks far more daunting than it did even three weeks ago. Especially when Dr. Anthony Fauci of the White House coronavirus task force said Tuesday that MLB should “avoid” playing into October because of increased risk of a second wave anticipated this fall.

2. How many games is enough — few enough to give the owners the financial relief they seek and a large enough number to satisfy the players?. Never mind what it might take to make a regular season look legitimate — because that ship seems to have sailed.

The MLB proposal calls for 60 games in 70 days from July 20 through Sept. 27. That’s a few games more than the 48-to-54 that seemed likely when the idea of a unilaterally imposed schedule by the commissioner was implied last week. The players want as many as possible. Is anything more than 60 a non-starter for one side, anything fewer than 70 a non-starter for the other — or 65 an achievable middle ground?

Stay tuned, because … 

3. MLB’s desire for the union to waive any potential grievance — with a possible $1 billion more in additional salary liability at stake — is a huge part of reaching a deal anytime soon.

And what the players might need in return for such a waiver could be equally significant — whether that’s a certain number of games over 60, additional levels of proposed playoff compensation or guarantees on compensation levels regardless of if or when an outbreak of the virus causes the league to shut down again.

These are just three of the big ones.

But then there’s the one nobody on the Cubs is lining up to answer:

Who’s going to be the guy big enough and tough enough to tell left fielder Kyle Schwarber he’s the Cubs’ designated hitter when the universal DH is installed for this year — and in the final year of the current collective bargaining agreement next year?

RELATED: Why Cubs, National League are about to permanently add designated hitter

About that single-malt beverage.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Cubs easily on your device.

Yadier Molina, Paul DeJong among Cardinals to test positive for COVID-19

0719-yadier-molina.jpg
USA TODAY

Yadier Molina, Paul DeJong among Cardinals to test positive for COVID-19

Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina and shortstop Paul DeJong are of the seven St. Louis players and six staff members who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last week.

Six of those players gave St. Louis permission to disclose their names. In addition to Molina and DeJong, the club announced Tuesday pitchers Junior Fernández and Kodi Whitley, first baseman Rangel Ravelo and shortstop Edmundo Sosa tested positive.

The Cardinals released statements from Molina and DeJong:

"I am saddened to have tested positive for COVID-19, even after adhering to safety guidelines that were put in place," Molina said. "I will do everything within my power to return as soon as possible for Cardinals fans, the city of St. Louis and my teammates. As I recover, I request that you please respect my privacy and family in my absence from the team."

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

"I am disappointed to share that I have tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, even though I followed team protocols," DeJong said. "I will approach my healing as I do all other things in my life — with education, commitment, and persistence. I look forward to re-joining the team soon and ask that you respect my privacy at this time."

The Cardinals' reportedly have no new positive tests on Tuesday. The tentative plan is for them to resume play against the Cubs this weekend.

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.

Report: No new COVID-19 cases for St. Louis Cardinals, door open to play Cubs

Report: No new COVID-19 cases for St. Louis Cardinals, door open to play Cubs

Jon Heyman reports that the St. Louis Cardinals had no new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday.

This comes after 13 members of their traveling party had tested positive through Monday, which put the future of their schedule in jeopardy, including their first series with the Cubs.

Click to download the MyTeams App for the latest Cubs news and analysis.

The Cardinals haven’t played since July 29, postponing seven games along the way. The earliest they would be allowed to play is Friday to start their series against the Cubs.

The Cardinals are the second team to face a major outbreak since the outset of MLB’s regular season. The Miami Marlins had 20 people test positive starting on July 24, forcing them to postpone 10 games. In addition, the Phillies had two clubhouse workers test positive for COVID-19 after hosting the Marlins.

There have been no reports of any Cubs or White Sox players testing positive for COVID-19 since the regular season began.

RELATED: Report: St. Louis Cardinals went to casino before COVID-19 outbreak

SUBSCRIBE TO THE CUBS TALK PODCAST FOR FREE.